Baritone Guitarlele less than $500 - anyone tried Alvarez?

EllenInTheSix

Reaction score
I’m looking for a guitarlele/guilele/guitalele that would sound great in E-E tuning but didn’t want to spend that much since I already have a great sounding Romero TT6 tenor size in standard A-A tuning but have been contemplating a secondary guitarlele in baritone size to get E-E tuning just for kicks. I already have a parlour and half size guitar for optimal E-E sound, but prefer not to lug them out anymore since I still find them too big.

So I came across a great deal on this Alvarez au70wb/6 for $180 and the only other baritone guitalele I know of is the Flight GUT850 for $550.

Looking for any insights y’all might have..thanks!

I think they generally have a good reputation for bargain instruments. It's nice that one has a solid top too. If you do go for it, let us know. I kind of want to try a 6 string parlor type guitar since I really prefer smaller instruments, I've learned. I am very sensitive about plinky or boxy sounds though, so haven't splurged on anything yet.

I think they generally have a good reputation for bargain instruments. It's nice that one has a solid top too. If you do go for it, let us know. I kind of want to try a 6 string parlor type guitar since I really prefer smaller instruments, I've learned. I am very sensitive about plinky or boxy sounds though, so haven't splurged on anything yet.
Ah I’ve only heard of them in the guitar world but good to know they have a good rep for bargain instruments. Found a video clip of the pickup version and sounds pretty good. Although the Flight sounds deeper and a bit better to me from this video but it is more than double the price 🙂

Last edited:
Specs look very similar to the original Cordoba Mini

I did have a Mini for awhile and found it to be a very good option if you like the longer scale. I prefer 19"

Specs look very similar to the original Cordoba Mini

I did have a Mini for awhile and found it to be a very good option if you like the longer scale. I prefer 19"
Funny you mentioned the old 20” Cordoba Minis. I’ve actually been searching before for these, but they’re hard to find now, but only the larger scale mini II is available now. Also great that they came in a variety of tonewoods too back then like koa.

Funny you mentioned the old 20” Cordoba Minis. I’ve actually been searching before for these, but they’re hard to find now, but only the larger scale mini II is available now. Also great that they came in a variety of tonewoods too back then like koa.
In some parts of the world this is still being sold. Some with a thrust rod some without.

Kala makes a decent parlor guitar. Solid cedar top, laminate mahogany back and sides. Somewhere around $300, I think. I dunno if I just got lucky but mine sounds surprisingly good.

I’m looking for a guitarlele/guilele/guitalele that would sound great in E-E tuning but didn’t want to spend that much since I already have a great sounding Romero TT6 tenor size in standard A-A tuning but have been contemplating a secondary guitarlele in baritone size to get E-E tuning just for kicks. I already have a parlour and half size guitar for optimal E-E sound, but prefer not to lug them out anymore since I still find them too big.

So I came across a great deal on this Alvarez au70wb/6 for $180 and the only other baritone guitalele I know of is the Flight GUT850 for $550.

Looking for any insights y’all might have..thanks!
Thanks for the link. I’ll keep those in the back of my mind. Looks good!

I miss the original Mini. The Mini II are ok, but just bigger than I want.
I played both before deciding on the original Mini in mahogany. I did get a chance to buy one in Rosewood but it was pretty beat up for the asking price so I passed on it. I didn’t play them back to back So can’t say which is better.

Anuenue also has a 20” scale called the S10 and the one I have comes with a pickup. The body is the exact same shape and size as my moon bird baritone. Off set sound hole. Very open sounding like the birds. It’s available in certain markets only.

Attachments

• E04EBC08-47CC-4FE0-84C4-6A016AC1D23A.jpeg
    E04EBC08-47CC-4FE0-84C4-6A016AC1D23A.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 13
Anuenue also has a 20” scale called the S10 and the one I have comes with a pickup. The body is the exact same shape and size as my moon bird baritone. Very open sounding like the birds. It’s available in certain markets only.
Good info, thanks!

Anuenue also has a 20” scale called the S10 and the one I have comes with a pickup. The body is the exact same shape and size as my moon bird baritone. Off set sound hole. Very open sounding like the birds. It’s available in certain markets only.
Love the shape of those birds! 🦅

I recently traded a Córdoba concert uke against a Mini II Santa Fe and I have to say apart from the open-grain satin finish, which my concert uke also had, and I'm not terribly a fan of, it has a solid mahogany top, but more importantly, if you put a capo across the 5th fret it sounds exactly like a A-A tuned guitalele should sound and not a capoed guitar, which is the case with my classical.

Córdoba were recently taken over by Yamaha, along with Guild, and the guitar has a Pau Ferro fingerboard, like some of those made by its sister company, Guild but it's certainly prettier than my Yamaha GL1, not that one should ever be swayed by looks, of course, and the E-E tuning is worth the small sacrifice of a longer-scale guitar with the 580mm scale still armchair-friendly!

Edited to add a photo; the reconstituted turquoise really 'pops' visually against the red of the mahogany in a certain light and makes a refreshing change from dead molluscs glued to the soundboard! :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_4546.jpg
    IMG_4546.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I’m also looking at guileles or baritones. My mom is interested in a small nylon stringed instrument, our old classical is too big for her now. I like what I see with the Flight GUT850 and the new Kala Contour series, they remind me of some Taylor guitar shapes that I like; and don’t forget to check out Baz’ review of a Sound Smith:

Last edited:
I’m also looking at guileles or baritones. My mom is interested in a small nylon stringed instrument, our old classical is too big for her now. I like what I see with the Flight GUT850 and the new Kala Contour series, they remind me of some Taylor guitar shapes that I like; and don’t forget the check out Baz’ review of a Sound Smith:

Thanks.. forgot about the Sound Smith that I also discovered from Gotaukulele along with the Noah Guitalele, but too bad you can’t buy that one in US.

Yamaha, Cordoba, and Alvarez all have smaller body, shorter scale instruments.

You can probably buy that Noah but you'd have to reach out to them via email for a shipping quote. I'll note that I had a less than stellar experience with the Noah uke I bought and had to return it, and ate about half the cost of the instrument if memory serves.

Top Bottom