Baritone bass run info?

JackR

Reaction score
Interested in sources to learn how to develop bass runs to connect chords
for baritone or low G UkeBank?

Thanks, Jack

The only source I used was listening to lots of music - it's all in there.
Any song - or piece of music structured like a song, has chord changes. One could strum away, one strum per beat and cover those changes, but transitioning with a bit more finesse just adds more interest.
Listen to country, or blues and you'll hear what I mean.
I'm sure you could find something instructional on Youtube where they walk the bass notes up, or down from one chord to another. Examples will mostly be using guitar - but principle is the same
Anyway, that's a bit hard on a re-entant tuned uke; posible on a linear tuned one (esp, a tenor) - but most convincing on a linear tuned baritone.
Here's one guitar guy...

Not an expert on baritones or bass runs, but am I correct to assume that it will only really work for some chord changes - also meaning that to use them, you would need to focus on playing songs in just a few keys?

My experience on the topic is from linear tuned Tenor ukuleles.
While I havent yet incorporated bass runs, for arpeggios I have tried to put the root as the lowest note, and for other stuff I have tried to alter between bass notes and strumming.
I find that for the notes to be bass like compared to the strumming, there is less that an octave available. And if you push it to an octave, the order of the notes is not necessarily ideal for runs. Playing F as a bass note on a tenor is not good.

I would focus on finding the keys that work well for bass lines with the range of your instrument. If you mostly use the I, IV and V chords in the runs, it should be straight forward to find the strong keys.

Top Bottom