Are there any brands that make a ukulele with a violin style finish/varnish?

Snowbeast

Reaction score
Curious if there are any brands/makers have a ukulele that has a vintage satin violin style finish? Something like the kind eastman does. Would love something ready to purchase or mass produced, but customs are cool too (to look at at least). Even something close to it or that looks like it, the Kamakas definitely have that minimalist classic style to their finishes.

Pictured is what I'm talking about. For the nitpickers just looking for one that LOOKS like this, doesn't have to be the exact process although that would be awesome.

Attachments

• 62e7f97014c60bb78a915437_ZBMSGYUvS96KDpQ71QtQ.jpeg
    62e7f97014c60bb78a915437_ZBMSGYUvS96KDpQ71QtQ.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 26
  • DE6F584B-FBAB-4696-AA7B-CF046439F34B.jpeg
    DE6F584B-FBAB-4696-AA7B-CF046439F34B.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 24
  • hofner-chancellor-violin-finish-hc-v-0-6.jpg
    hofner-chancellor-violin-finish-hc-v-0-6.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 21
  • dd.jpg
    dd.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Eastman_MD805_1490_1.jpg
    Eastman_MD805_1490_1.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 14
  • ae00-6449.jpg
    ae00-6449.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 19
  • varnish.jpg
    varnish.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 19
  • americanfront__66050.png
    americanfront__66050.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • JR_12StAn1687vlKlosTraucomp-421x1200.jpg
    JR_12StAn1687vlKlosTraucomp-421x1200.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 18
  • uke.jpg
    uke.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I've done traditional varnish on a couple of my instruments, and a few that I would say look like varnish but are not truely done the classical way. Some of the instruments you have pictured have a subtle fade, almost like a minor 'tobacco burst' perimeter. Is that a component of what you like about the look? Is in the intermediate gloss/matte sheen that you like?
I do a finish with shellac and beeswax which almost like a traditional shellac finish that was stopped before going to a full polish, but I put a little secret sauce in there to make it legit (aka I use CA glue pore fill to protect the most vulnerable areas and envoke an aged appearance, then call it secret sauce for style haha!) This antique varnishy-looking shellac finish is the least expensive of my finish upgrade options and its the easiest to repair should it get blemished in the future.

Violin family instruments typically have meticulously applied oil varnishes (20+ thin coats), and some of the examples above are heavily aged. When new, they are still relatively shiny but this wears down over the decades.

I think shellac or French polished ukes might be what you are after, since they wear in a natural way (as per your examples) and have that oily sheen like an oil varnish. Timms ukes have French polish, for example. A lot of luthiers seem to use tru-oil finishes, which are somewhat cruder but in the same vein.

Violin family instruments typically have meticulously applied oil varnishes (20+ thin coats), and some of the examples above are heavily aged. When new, they are still relatively shiny but this wears down over the decades.

I think shellac or French polished ukes might be what you are after, since they wear in a natural way (as per your examples) and have that oily sheen like an oil varnish. Timms ukes have French polish, for example. A lot of luthiers seem to use tru-oil finishes, which are somewhat cruder but in the same vein.
Actually only two of the images are aged, all other images are of new instruments (none of the violins pictured are aged and are brand new)

Sounds like you might be using the same word to mean two different things.

A “brand new” instrument can still have an “aged” finish. Not something I look for, but neither is it a deal killer—Martin sells Tons of ‘em….

It’s also worth saying that it’s VERY difficult for anyone to look at a glamour shot of a mandolin and have much of an idea how the finish is going to feel under their hands.

That said, the answer is PROBABLY BUT . . . You clearly have a very specific Look/Feel in-mind. That’s going to be nearly impossible to get over the Internet. Your best bet is going to be getting to a good shop with a variety of ukes at a variety of price points.

Searching for The Right Uke is, after all, part of the fun, and if you’re having fun you’re doing it right.

I don't know much about finishes, but I once had an ukulele built with "violin" woods, maple back and sides with a spruce top. It sings!

Top Bottom