Anyone know who makes this case?

TBB

TheBathBird
UU VIP
Reaction score
It came with my Kamaka hp-1, I’ve never seen one like it before. It offers much more protection than a gigbag, but it’s really lightweight and SO much less bulky than the usual semi-rigid pod cases. Not much storage and a decidedly un-cushy lining, but I like it a lot. Just wondered whether anyone knows the brand?

IMG_1962.jpeg
IMG_1963.jpeg
IMG_1964.jpeg

I bought a case similar to that from Amazon several years ago for about $20. I like it a lot. It is lightweight like a gig bag, but the semi-hard shell is much more protective than the padded gig bags in this price range. I wanted to buy another one in a concert size but Amazon doesn't seem to sell them anymore. Here is the product that I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CNF91Y1/

I see a similar case on Aliexpress for a much higher price, and I don't use Aliexpress anyway.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255799969706762.html

I don't mind 2 zippers. All my other cases have either 3 latches or 2 zippers and zippers and I haven't had a problem with either system.

aliexpress special... sometimes on ebay, amazon and reverb, too. having to unzip 2 zippers to open makes it a bust imo
Thanks, I guess I’ll have to keep an eye out.

I don’t think I’ll find the second zip any more fiddly than unlatching 3 or 4 clips on a hard case (if I ever get to the point where I can actually remember that there even IS a second zip) and its size and weight make it perfect for chucking in the car when we go down to our microscopic little beach hut.

I bought a case similar to that from Amazon several years ago for about $20. I like it a lot. It is lightweight like a gig bag, but the semi-hard shell is much more protective than the padded gig bags in this price range. I wanted to buy another one in a concert size but Amazon doesn't seem to sell them anymore. Here is the product that I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CNF91Y1/

I see a similar case on Aliexpress for a much higher price, and I don't use Aliexpress anyway.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255799969706762.html

I don't mind 2 zippers. All my other cases have either 3 latches or 2 zippers and zippers and I haven't had a problem with either system.
Yes, those look very similar. I’ve never used Aliexpress and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like them here in the UK, but if I ever do I’ll definitely grab another one.

Looks the same with a couple small variations.

In the UK I think World of Ukes had some of them at one time

They used to be made by Crossrock.
But aren't listed anymore. Ebay shows one

Reactions: TBB

Those Crossrock bags were much more expensive (maybe $70 or $80) and the thin plastic outer shell was kind of fragile. The EVA cases are surprisingly sturdy for the weight and price. I do see a lot of camera and electronics cases made from EVA. I don't know why it hasn't caught on for string instruments.

I searched for "FINO Ukulele Case 21inch Soprano Ukulele" and this came up. Similar enough?

That's a thick styrofoam case that you can find at any ukulele store. The EVA pod cases are much less bulky and also were much cheaper.

Amazon used to have them

Fino case

But I don't see them currently on there. I have seen them pop up on other sites from time to time. I'll keep an eye out

I searched for "FINO Ukulele Case 21inch Soprano Ukulele" and this came up. Similar enough?

Thank you, I do have a couple of those and they’re pretty good for the price, but unfortunately even though they’re very lightweight they’re also extremely bulky.

That’d be great, I’d definitely consider buying one from the US.
There is the Reverb listing above that might be an option

I have found ones that look identical to that on Ebay and AliExpress in all three sizes. I think Crossrock has discontinued them because no one who lists them on their sites has them in stock, excepting a soprano here and there. They are a lot more expensive now!

UkuleleWales did a case review that sent me on a search for them.

I have one bought years ago that is for a Concert. It's a cool case.

There is the Reverb listing above that might be an option
I’ve messaged the seller about shipping costs, but they’re asking £50 for the case so after shipping and import duties I think it might end up being too expensive.

Reactions: EDW
Hi Victoria

A few years ago, some ukulele pod cases were available online for 150-200% the price of standard soft cases. Pods were also standard equipment with a few brands such as Enya and Lava.

Today they are no longer listed online, and Enya has switched to standard ukulele bags (with pockets).

There were a few complaints about zippers in product ratings and in forums. Some damage came from not understanding the back zipper, and some owners damaged the front zippers.

My tenor version from Amazon has a nice blue fabric texture. I looked and it had no brand label.

CrossRock sells very nice very solid (heavier) zippered fibre glass cases.

suttonmusic.co.uk website lists pod cases for various size guitars which indicates that they have a supplier.

You could check with UK shops such as Southern Ukulele, World of Ukes, Andertons, etc. And perhaps the music stores on Denmark Street in London. They might have old stock or be able to find a supplier and special order for you.

you could try a ´wanted’ as in marketplace, or ask around at the local ukulele group.

(And you might eventually decide it’s worthwhile to pay up for that pod case at Reverb USA)

Cheers

Last edited:
Top Bottom