Any Imperfections Will Add To Its Beauty

hands_on_lanzon

Reaction score
1000015846.jpg
Starting a new thread for those willing to share their minor imperfections that they have learned to accept or even perhaps appreciate.

The photo above is from a well known OG tattooer, Thom deVita, who made this phrase popular within the tattoo community. It's true, tattoos, as permanent as they are, often do not come out perfect. You're working with a moving machine on the soft, bouncy skin of a breathing human being. Things happen. The artist learns to correct and adjust as much as possible and the client... well... they gotta learn to live with it! I'm fairly heavily tattooed and can point out flaws with many of mine, but I love em all.

This thought came up from a recent post by @ailevin on his thread about getting a custom concert from Pops KoAloha. It was great timing, as I just received this 2017 Rin Hayase concert yesterday and noticed this fret dot placement.
1000015841.jpg
It's just the slightest bit off center and definitely does not impact the uke's function at all! It might be something to drive an OCD person a little mad but I sit back and realize how very minor it is. And I can just take a look at this neck carving and joint to the body to make me appreciate all the fine craftsmanship that went into this beauty. It makes it easy to forgive the dot placement!!

1000015842.jpg

I realize some folks might be iffy on posting imperfections, as it might impact potential resale value or something like that. But I figure it might be fun for some people to post the nits they've picked if even just to get it off their chest and share the loving company of misery.

Last edited:
I tend to keep my instruments and play them, and I try to take good care of them. I love all of these, and none of them are perfect.

IMG_20230616_094050.jpgA tiny knot in the wood of my traverso.

IMG_20230616_094407.jpg
The light streaks in the rosewood make the perfectly round embouchure hole appear a bit angular from certain angles. I couldn't capture it though. The builder's stamp is showing wear too, not unexpected after owning this one for almost 19 years.

IMG_20230616_095450.jpg
The lip plate is showing scratches from my son's baby teeth. The enamel is much harder than silver.
IMG_20230616_094830.jpg
Ding at the fifth fret marker, but the 12th also is slightly off centre (just noticed that it's not in the photo).

IMG_20230616_095239.jpg
Tarnished keys (the half hidden ones that don't get a lot of contact with your skin) on my piccolo.

IMG_20230616_095051.jpg
Glue residue from a previous cork, really battered ligature and my Dad's teeth marks on the mouthpiece. It's so old and worn I can't get it much cleaner (and I tried, because I play it now).

IMG_20230616_094645.jpg
Pretty serious ding on the bell.

IMG_20230616_094744.jpg
Another ding, lots of scratches and the original lacquer has been rudded off completely on the rib at the bottom.

View attachment 153552
Starting a new thread for those willing to share their minor imperfections that they have learned to accept or even perhaps appreciate.

The photo above is from a well known OG tattooer, Thom deVita, who made this phrase popular within the tattoo community. It's true, tattoos, as permanent as they are, often do not come out perfect. You're working with a moving machine on the soft, bouncy skin of a breathing human being. Things happen. The artist learns to correct and adjust as much as possible and the client... well... they gotta learn to live with it! I'm fairly heavily tattooed and can point out flaws with many of mine, but I love em all.

This thought came up from a recent post by @ailevin on his thread about getting a custom concert from Pops KoAloha. It was great timing, as I just received this 2017 Rin Hayase concert yesterday and noticed this fret dot placement.
View attachment 153553
It's just the slightest bit off center and definitely does not impact the uke's function at all! It might be something to drive an OCD person a little mad but I sit back and realize how very minor it is. And I can just take a look at this neck carving and joint to the body to make me appreciate all the fine craftsmanship that went into this beauty. It makes it easy to forgive the dot placement!!

View attachment 153554

I realize some folks might be iffy on posting imperfections, as it might impact potential resale value or something like that. But I figure it might be fun for some people to post the nits they've picked if even just to get it off their chest and share the loving company of misery.

That's a clever idea for a thread.

Taking pictures of imperfections is essential when selling anything. I sold a uke to someone, and she emailed back saying there were scratches on the headstock. Bad situation! I knew it was perfect when I sent it, but I wasn't going to argue with her. I sent her a total refund for all expenses, and she returned it.

When I received it, I examined the headstock, and it looked fine. I looked at the pictures I had sent her, and they looked fine. Then I zoomed way in, and I could see "something." Those were the so-called scratches. I looked at the pictures I had downloaded from the dealer and zoomed way in. Those "marks" were there. I applied some furnish polish over the scratches, and they totally disappeared.

I took more pictures, advertised it, and sold it. I explained about the "scratches" situation in the description of the uke, but they were totally invisible, even zoomed in.

On the other side of the coin, I've bought several ukes that were described as Seconds. I have never been able to discover any defects.

To me, 'imperfections' are pretty much inconsequential . . . I care about how an instrument plays and sounds. As long as my instruments are structurally sound, things like mismatches in the wood, flaws in the finish, dings, scratches, chips, etc. are of no concern to me. Although I have WAY too many instruments in my collection, I am not a 'collector' who cares about the value of his collection, I am a 'player' (be it a bad one) who is just in it for the music.

When I read the introduction to the thread, I didn't know we were going to be talking about instruments. I thought we were going to be talking about character flaws. I'm like @MikeZito; I don't worry too much about appearances. All my instruments are fairly battle scarred and have funky patina all around.

So, I will throw in a character flaw of mine that I have come to regard as something that is part of me and may be as indelible as a tattoo or a ding on the headstock of your instrument; I am a loudmouth. I seem to raise my voice in response to just about anything, joy or anger, excitement or concern. I can't seem to help it. I also tend to sing very loud as well. I am just loud. Not all the time, but a lot of the time.

So, I will throw in a character flaw of mine that I have come to regard as something that is part of me and may be as indelible as a tattoo or a ding on the headstock of your instrument; I am a loudmouth. I seem to raise my voice in response to just about anything, joy or anger, excitement or concern. I can't seem to help it. I also tend to sing very loud as well. I am just loud. Not all the time, but a lot of the time.
We are loud twins 😊. When I was in grade ten, my math teacher actually complimented me on my loud laugh: I always felt dumb about being so loud when I laughed but he said it was such a wonderful, joyful expression of enthusiastic response, and told me to never feel ashamed about my laugh. To this day, it's actually one of my favourite characteristics about myself, even though others may not agree. Thanks Mr. May, wherever you are. And let's be full of life loud together, Yukio.

When I read the introduction to the thread, I didn't know we were going to be talking about instruments. I thought we were going to be talking about character flaws. I'm like @MikeZito; I don't worry too much about appearances. All my instruments are fairly battle scarred and have funky patina all around.

As I wrote it, I did intentionally leave it vague and I almost wrote more about myself! I was thinking about what to write, but my post was already getting long-winded. That's an easy one right there... I tend to babble when it comes to topics I get excited about. I have to filter and reel myself in a bit!

I also have a tendency to reply/relate with a point or story about myself rather than be empathetic and reflect on the other person's point or story. (I just did it ^^). These are things I try to be conscious of and improve... not necessarily accept or appreciate. Awareness is a good first step!

Your "imperfection" reminds me of this Will Ferrell SNL skit that cracks me up every time!

It sounds fine, unless someone mentions it. Maybe you gotta hang out with someone that's too quiet, to balance you out! 😁☯️

IMG_20230616_095450.jpg

The lip plate is showing scratches from my son's baby teeth. The enamel is much harder than silver.
Awwww! 🥰 thems is keeper scratches!!

I also have a tendency to reply/relate with a point or story about myself rather than be empathetic and reflect on the other person's point or story. (I just did it ^^).
Me too!! But I suspect you've all noticed that by now ...

Hah! That SNL skit is awesome and yes, I suffer from VI 😂

@Ms Bean I LOVE your beautiful instruments and their obvious tales of making so much music.

We are loud twins 😊. When I was in grade ten, my math teacher actually complimented me on my loud laugh: I always felt dumb about being so loud when I laughed but he said it was such a wonderful, joyful expression of enthusiastic response, and told me to never feel ashamed about my laugh. To this day, it's actually one of my favourite characteristics about myself, even though others may not agree. Thanks Mr. May, wherever you are. And let's be full of life loud together, Yukio.

I have a dear friend who laughs from the depth of her soul. It can be heard for blocks in any direction. It is so genuine and intense that it is one of my favorite sounds. It fills my heart with joy every time I hear it. She too feels ashamed of it sometimes, but we, her close friends, always reminder her what it means to us.

Off the top of my head, I can think of two entries. The Ohana all solid KOA soprano has a finish crack on the lower bout, on the right. The A&L AMI palor guitar has a split (repaired) across the lower bout. They both sound great, and play great.
20230616_131803.jpg
And here's their "good" side.
20230616_131828.jpg

Top Bottom