Another string gone.

MichaelW

Reaction score
Just sitting here minding my own business when ping another string breaks. Uke is on its stand so not actually playing at the time.
First reaction blame the strings.
Second reaction that is the same string as last time the A string so a closer examination shows a sort of delamination(?) and that coincides with just where the string passes over the nut.

Given I have no fine files is there an 'approved' method of smoothing a nut slot?
A cardboard nail sander perhaps?
I think I have some fine emery in the garage but not sure what grade.

While on the subject of changing a string what is the consensus regarding just one or change them all?

Attachments

• P1380040 (1024x576).jpg
    P1380040 (1024x576).jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 8
I heard this happened before with carbon strings. Nylgut may last longer. Cost of single new string may not be good value so get a whole set. Keep some old strings around for emergency replacement.

I use torch tip cleaners to both file and clean up rough nut slots. They can be purchased at Lowe's/ Home Depot for $8. Each set comes with multiple tip cleaners that with fit any uke nut slot size.

To gently smooth a nut slot you can try wrapping a small bit of smooth sandpaper or emerycloth around the string that goes in that slot and move it toward the headstock a couple of times.

The welding torch tip cleaners that Pissodes recommends have also worked for me, but I prefer the above method.

That's exactly what happened to me a few days ago, two strings in a row, the A Fremont black fluorocarbon tenor. I ordered new black nylon strings, but in the mean time, I took the high G of the second Fremont set and brought it to my repair place, Eric's Guitar in Van Nuys, CA. He used a nut file the exact size of the string and added a bit of silicone in the slot. FIXED.

That's exactly what happened to me a few days ago, two strings in a row, the A Fremont black fluorocarbon tenor. I ordered new black nylon strings, but in the mean time, I took the high G of the second Fremont set and brought it to my repair place, Eric's Guitar in Van Nuys, CA. He used a nut file the exact size of the string and added a bit of silicone in the slot. FIXED.
Did he add the silicon first before filing the nut?

Thanks for your help everyone.
They are Fluorocarbon strings that I somehow thought were indestructible. The break looks really odd.
I will try the string/emery cloth first as everything will be closed for a long weekend from tomorrow and you never know
my new SUS string set might get delivered this side of Easter.

Just sitting here minding my own business when ping another string breaks. Uke is on its stand so not actually playing at the time.
First reaction blame the strings.
Second reaction that is the same string as last time the A string so a closer examination shows a sort of delamination(?) and that coincides with just where the string passes over the nut.

Given I have no fine files is there an 'approved' method of smoothing a nut slot?
A cardboard nail sander perhaps?
I think I have some fine emery in the garage but not sure what grade.

While on the subject of changing a string what is the consensus regarding just one or change them all?
I opened the case my bari is in the other day and one of the wound strings had completely unraveled somewhere near the bridge. I replaced it with a smooth wound silver (low D) and it's as pleasant as ever. I'll replace a single string; my aNueNue UC-10 has two black strings and two clear. Looks a bit ghastly but as the soundboard is fully cracked (still plays like a champ), it's become the experiment uke.

Top Bottom