An honest question to those who are upset about the VIP program

Status
Not open for further replies.
My issue is not with the name; although if it has to be displayed I would prefer 'Supporter' or 'Sponsor'.

My issue would be with the creation of more forums that could only be accessed by paying members. I would want everyone to be able to participate in the forums, whether they're paying or not. Even if I'm paying and the next guy isn't, the discussion will still be better with both of us there.

Also, would my membership ensure a stop in Phoenix next time the UU crew is on the mainland? :)

I didn't see a problem with the VIP thing. It's just a name. If more subtle is what people want how about just "Contributing Member". Honestly I just found out from reading this thread about clicking banner ads. I guess I'll go click on a couple sponsers.

Last edited:
what do people think about the "bold" type in the main forum page signifying who is online?

what do people think about the "bold" type in the main forum page signifying who is online?
Hadn't noticed it 'til you said something. I don't think I've ever bothered to check that section (for one thing, those kinds of trackers will typically show people "online" for five to twenty minutes after they've left because it takes a while for their sessions to expire).

What Ryan and Aldrine has done for us as Ukulele fans players and enthusiasts has been without question "Brilliant," We don't see half the stuff that goes into maintaining and running this cool site that we have. I am really glad there is something like this forum that we could go to discuss, banter, get together and share information.
I personally would like to pay, because I know that it is worth the money, but I would like the option not to show up that I was paying, but still be able to get into the vip part of the site, and I would still participate in all parts of the forums because this is such a great Global community that we have here.
Again Thankyou Rayan and Aldrine for all the work you have done.

Why not limit non-VIPs to read-only privilege on the VIP-access-only fora?

I'm undecided still.

Personally, I think that the extra forum will solve more drama than it'll cause.

This current drama will go away in a few days.

If and when the contests start, this same entitled "I SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO JOIN IN! IT'S NOT FAIR" drama is going to start up again and again if not kept separate.

as for the fear that people will stop posting on the regular board?
I think it shows an insulting lack of faith in your fellow UUers.

Another Newbie Weighs In

Thank God for Deach! Please continue to give this forum your guidance.

Be careful, Rayan, in the climate I am seeing on this forum, UU Supporter has the potential to spark a backlash from the female membership. Perhaps the name for your financial supporters could have been better chosen, but changing it will not change the perception that you have created a gated community within the community. You have to pay to get in here.

Nobody resents a tip jar. Contributions are entirely voluntary. But even Chuck Moore didn't know you already had one. Too many people bypass the main page to get directly to the forum.

Maybe membership in the VIP club could have an anonymous option so that you don't display an exclusivity of membership that those of us who haven't contributed yet don't have to feel guilty about.

Long time lurker, says thank you for everything you do!

I wasn't particularly bothered by the whole thing, but now that I think about it, I guess UU Supporter sounds better to me. I can see how some would take issue with VIP, but I think the implications of "supporter" versus "VIP" might help soothe some ruffled feathers. Whatever though, it's your site guys! Keep on keepin on, you're fabulous.

Be careful, Rayan, in the climate I am seeing on this forum, UU Supporter has the potential to spark a backlash from the female membership.

erm...what?

Last edited:
Yeah. Go with "Supporter". Think about it ...

VIP versus Non-VIP = "inferiority complex"

Supporter versus Non-Supporter = "major guilt trip that you're not helping out the community"

How do you think PBS keeps going?
;)

Like I said, the whole thing doesn't bother me but I'm sure a name change will help. So what if supporters get something extra? Even PBS supporters get "thank-you" gifts.

Aloha All,
I think Rayan is doing right by asking our opinions....I like supporter much nicer and it less segregates the haves and have nots..As for all the other perks, I would pass them on to all and
when I do contribute, I will be happy with just the increased PM and a UU Sticker....no more.. as for the highlighted aknowlegements and badges mentioned, not to keen on that, as it segregates too..I'd feel much better if nobody knew I gave....but that me.. Thank you UU staff and mods fo making UU the best around....there is always controversy with anything new...I sure they will
sort things out....give them your patience please.... MM Stan

Wait...

we get a sticker?

I must have missed it. I got all woozy-headed when I found out about the titles and the inbox!

Now a sticker?

SWEEEEET!

Psst! T!

I think it was a jockstrap joke...

I don't get it? I've been wracking my brains over this, and I can't come up with the slightest reason to be mad at the word "supporter," just because I can have babies. And I'm an anthro major focusing on gender and language, I'm usually pretty good at this.

I am woman, and I like "UU Supporter."

Last edited:
I think Booster might be a nice variation of VIP. But in my opinion, I like the no-ads, larger PM mailbox, and custom title option best. I don't need a VIP badge. Instead of the UU VIP badge, I would prefer an option of adding an extra graphic to my banner... something like a little uke, or palm tree, flower, tiki, honu or other cool uke related symbol. It wouldn't say anything, except I would have more ways to express my online presence.
The VIP forum is not important to me, and it could be kept open to all so they can find out about VIP activities and events. That might influence them to join. I really enjoy this forum, and I am happy to subscribe. All this takes a lot of work and time, and I want to see it continue.

–Lori

I don't get it? I've been wracking my brains over this, and I can't come up with the slightest reason to be mad at the word "supporter," just because I can have babies. And I'm an anthro major focusing on gender and language, I'm usually pretty good at this.

I THINK it's an "Athletic Supporter" thing... it might be an in-joke, too... I dunno. I don't think it was said with any seriousness.

If this is really that big a deal, how 'bout just changing the graphic to the UU logo...

or, if it's not too much hassle, the option of having "UUVIP" or just the logo.

Personally? I want the VIP.

Because I AM pretty darn important, thank you very much.

To be honest I hadn't picked up on the VIP thing until this thread. Had noticed the tip jar and have pondered doing that.

This community has become very important to me and for UU to develop a means to regularly get some minor $ out of me to help support it is fine. I just have a hard time with any kind of wall that being a subscriber would allow me to go behind because I can afford it and others maybe can't. Especially if beyond that wall is access to another layer of interaction such as a forum for a select few. Just rubs me wrong.

Now maybe access to a UU developed .pdf instruction or song book, or hat or coffee mug as an incentive for an annual donation would be cool.

Maybe use the PBS fund raising model.... You guys could do a monthly live broadcast with musical guests to tell us what your vision is for the site and how our becoming a supporter would help achieve that goal...blah, blah, blah...you know the drill.

Anyway, love the place and want to see it survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom