An honest question to those who are upset about the VIP program

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Chuck Moore that the VIP designation should be hidden or less visible at the least because I agree it separates "us" from "them". Supporter may be better than VIP but my bigger issue is that it is so visible. I totally support what you are trying to do and I am sorry it turned into such an issue.

I wasn't upset, but I do think Supporter sounds better than VIP.

What does bother me somewhat, as others have mentioned, is the divide. Whether or not you are financially supporting the site is really no one else's business, but the designation puts us all into two visible categories.

For some, giving up a Starbucks latte once a month to support the site is nothing. There are others who are unemployed and going thru hard times and struggling to make ends meet who don't even know what such a luxury is anymore.

$45 a year might be chump change to you, but it might mean a week's worth of groceries to a family that's already cut every corner they can.

Personally, I'd rather not see any designation.

I had recently wondered how I could donate to UU. I never knew there was a tip jar and didn't even know there was a 'front page'.
I am happy to pay to help support this forum. It is the warmest forum I have ever seen. The people here are amazing, smart, kind, and always so helpful. I must admit, I am not fond of the VIP badge, and that is one reason I have not yet signed up. Well, I also haven't signed up because that would get me kicked out of the procrastinator's club. I don't feel the need to have it displayed to everyone whether or not I have donated to the forum, but if it has to be, I personally prefer the term 'supporter'.
I'll donate regardless, but since you asked our opinions....

I wasn't upset, but I do think Supporter sounds better than VIP.

What does bother me somewhat, as others have mentioned, is the divide. Whether or not you are financially supporting the site is really no one else's business, but the designation puts us all into two visible categories.

For some, giving up a Starbucks latte once a month to support the site is nothing. There are others who are unemployed and going thru hard times and struggling to make ends meet who don't even know what such a luxury is anymore.

$45 a year might be chump change to you, but it might mean a week's worth of groceries to a family that's already cut every corner they can.

Personally, I'd rather not see any designation.

There is also a 5 dollar a month option as well...

I'm surprised at some of the replies, to say the least.
Whether it's gonna be called VIP, Supporter, Benefactor, or whatever else; It will still be THE SAME THING.

"A rose called by any other name would smell as sweet..."

Are we taking anything away? No.
The UU VIP section of the forum doesn't have a description for it. The threads about ukulele and everything else CAN STILL BE READ ON THE OTHER BOARDS.

Are we all forgetting what the most important part of UU is?
It's in the title:
"Growing the next generation of ukulele players"

Anyone willing to learn the ukulele will still be able to log on the front page and learn from the videos. If they have a question or wanna discuss anything ukulele related the forum is STILL THERE.

I'm seriously getting tired of all this negativity.
We just wanted to say "thank you" to anyone who would want to help us cut the costs. It's that simple. We feel like this is one way that we could give back to those people who gave to us.

Speaking of giving...
As I stated on another thread. We work for hours on end trying to run and create all this content for everyone. We've always been giving everything we have to anyone willing to give us a chance. One of the main reasons we started UU was because of the people who believed in us from iamhawaii. We slave to create FREE content for years. It's obvious that sooner or later we were gonna have to either charge for something or let the boat sink. We didn't want to abandon the main goal of free lessons to help people. So we turned to the forum (since it was one of the things that were costing us the most amount) and ENHANCED the experience of the forum.

Note: ENHANCED.

Meaning if you didn't know we did the VIP thing, you would have never noticed. Why? EVERYTHING IS STILL THE SAME.

Can you not have fun with your xbox if you didn't have xbox live?

For those of you who don't get it. It was either that or let UU die.
Now does that make it clearer?

Okay I went back and looked at what a VIP actually gets. Didn't really look when I signed up. I asked last night about not having the VIP badge cause I don't really need or want it. Not sure I need a separate board either. That might be the big problem most peeps have. Kinda like a secret club for fancy peeps. I think the other perks are fine and no one could really complain about them. I think a monthly give away, small or big, would be an incentive for more peeps to help out. Could be as small as a sticker or store credit to as big as a uke. Post winners in the regular boards and people might sign up. Kinda like we are buying raffle tickets not status. Just a thought.

* Access to VIP Boards. no spam, no promos, just a place to talk story and hang out
* No more ads in the forum once you login
* Increased PM box (now up to 200 messages)
* UU VIP badge
* set you own user title (no more boring "senior member")
* participate in UU VIP contests and giveaways (we're bringing back the contests for UU VIPs only)
* Premium support for technical issues
* Be on the guest list for LIVE VIP events when the UU guys goes on tour
* Know you are helping UU and the ukulele movement stay strong!

feel really sad about these last couple of days on the boards. Thankyou Aldrine for that honest and dignified post. I come here in the hope of relaxing and enjoyment. This is awful. This is as stressful as work. I need a day off maybe. I do want to donate because I appreciate this website and the wonderful people that frequent it. Amidst all this s** I've forgotten how do you make a donation. Could someone please help me out. thanks

Hope this helps some people understand, but some still won't get it or care.

feel really sad about these last couple of days on the boards. Thankyou Aldrine for that honest and dignified post. I come here in the hope of relaxing and enjoyment. This is awful. This is as stressful as work. I need a day off maybe. I do want to donate because I appreciate this website and the wonderful people that frequent it. Amidst all this s** I've forgotten how do you make a donation. Could someone please help me out. thanks

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?45886-UU-VIP-Program
Here is the thread or I think the tip jar is on the main page, right side.

I'm surprised at some of the replies, to say the least.
Whether it's gonna be called VIP, Supporter, Benefactor, or whatever else; It will still be THE SAME THING.

"A rose called by any other name would smell as sweet..."

Are we taking anything away? No.
The UU VIP section of the forum doesn't have a description for it. The threads about ukulele and everything else CAN STILL BE READ ON THE OTHER BOARDS.

Are we all forgetting what the most important part of UU is?
It's in the title:
"Growing the next generation of ukulele players"

Anyone willing to learn the ukulele will still be able to log on the front page and learn from the videos. If they have a question or wanna discuss anything ukulele related the forum is STILL THERE.

I'm seriously getting tired of all this negativity.
We just wanted to say "thank you" to anyone who would want to help us cut the costs. It's that simple. We feel like this is one way that we could give back to those people who gave to us.

Speaking of giving...
As I stated on another thread. We work for hours on end trying to run and create all this content for everyone. We've always been giving everything we have to anyone willing to give us a chance. One of the main reasons we started UU was because of the people who believed in us from iamhawaii. We slave to create FREE content for years. It's obvious that sooner or later we were gonna have to either charge for something or let the boat sink. We didn't want to abandon the main goal of free lessons to help people. So we turned to the forum (since it was one of the things that were costing us the most amount) and ENHANCED the experience of the forum.

Note: ENHANCED.

Meaning if you didn't know we did the VIP thing, you would have never noticed. Why? EVERYTHING IS STILL THE SAME.

Can you not have fun with your xbox if you didn't have xbox live?

Well said. People are blowing this way out of proportion.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll be closing the thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom