A humble tip for beginners

pluribus

Reaction score
Do you know those moments when you're having fun with your uke, comfortably seated in your favorite chair and all of a sudden you want another beer or another glass of wine and you're too lazy to take the strap of and you go to the kitchen with your dearest uke hanging around your body?
Don't do that. The uke will hit every wall, every door, the kitchen bench and the drawers cause they have a magnet inside that directs them to all the hard surfaces of your house. Trust me in the magnet issue. It's a feeling I have. :p

Keep a bong nearby so you don't have to walk around at all. Just keep playing the uke all day long.

My wife seems to have discovered that phenomenon. I had a an all-solid mahogany uke which lasted for years in my hands without suffering a ding or a mark. Once I let her start using it it seemed to find itself with all sorts of dings.

Well, for me straps have saved a lot of dings. I tended to drop them or bang them up during incessant interruptions that force me set to quickly set them down before I forgot how I was holding my fingers for those really cool newly discovered runs and chord shapes.

I just let go of the uke and quickly document what I just did.

Attachments

• Chord Decoder Worksheet.JPG
    Chord Decoder Worksheet.JPG
    279.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
a 12 volt fridge beside the chair?

Do you know those moments when you're having fun with your uke, comfortably seated in your favorite chair and all of a sudden you want another beer or another glass of wine and you're too lazy to take the strap of and you go to the kitchen with your dearest uke hanging around your body?
Don't do that. The uke will hit every wall, every door, the kitchen bench and the drawers cause they have a magnet inside that directs them to all the hard surfaces of your house. Trust me in the magnet issue. It's a feeling I have. :p
I find there's a direct relationship with the number of beers (or glasses of wine) and the number of ukulele to wall/door hits.

Or you can do it more often. After a few weeks, your uke will be demagnetized.

(I know exactly what you're talking about because I used to carry my guitar around on its strap and banging into everything. But, trust me, after a few weeks, you'll adjust to having that uke/strap and naturally walking around without hitting anything.)

Wait... do you drink with an instrument strapped to you? I was getting anxiety the other day the liquid will drip from my mouth or cup and onto the instrument. Perhaps I should consider wearing a plastic baby bib to catch my drips :p

Wait... do you drink with an instrument strapped to you? I was getting anxiety the other day the liquid will drip from my mouth or cup and onto the instrument. Perhaps I should consider wearing a plastic baby bib to catch my drips :p
I believe you have discovered where the idea for the Kala Waterman came from. Inspired by a heavy drinker on Kala's staff.

I have guitars and ukes I consider "beaters" that I can take camping, leave anywhere or let anyone play. I guess there needs to be a category of "drinkers". Streamlined, built like a tank and water/liquidproof. Probably with a cup holder too. Get on it Kala!

I believe you have discovered where the idea for the Kala Waterman came from. Inspired by a heavy drinker on Kala's staff.

I have guitars and ukes I consider "beaters" that I can take camping, leave anywhere or let anyone play. I guess there needs to be a category of "drinkers". Streamlined, built like a tank and water/liquidproof. Probably with a cup holder too. Get on it Kala!

Maybe one with a storage at the top to store a beer? :LOL: Perfect camping uke then.

Top Bottom