620! I Don't Know

Joko

Reaction score
I picked this week for the number.
620. It's nice and round and coincides with the New Year.
See, I usually don't choose to be a host until I have an idea in mind for a compelling theme. Then I'll sign up and wait my turn. So going into today, I had no specific idea of what I was going to name as our theme.

“Joko, what’s the theme for this week?”
“I don't know.”
Then I did. The theme is I don't know.
What's the theme?
I don't know.
There are lots of songs about uncertainty, but even more songs that contain the lyric, I don't know, somewhere inside of them without necessarily being about uncertainty or not knowing something.
You shouldn't have a problem finding something you like containing I don't know. I will accept “Don’t know” if the I is omitted for syllabic reasons (e.g., Leavin on a Jet Plane). If it's an ellipse, as we say.
I won't accept: You Don't Know because that's an entirely different thing.

Except for what is noted above, there no rules this week. Do as thou wilst.

PLAYLIST

This may cause an eruption!

<edit> Volcano - Buffet
I don't know why, I just do
I Really Don't Want to Know (maybe)

Last edited:
I got one but it's near 3am so I shall have to record tomorrow.

I don't know.

The past simple tense in didn't know means the state of not knowing is finished.

Do you know what I mean?

Other phrases that imply "I don't know"? Songs about uncertainty or not knowing? Or just the phrase "I don't know"?

Would you accept “didn’t know”?
Not sure if you have posted in the seasons before. I don’t think I’ve seen you. If that is the case I think it is now accepted practice that any first time poster can post any song they want as a debut concession.
So unless someone or Joko of the East says different..you should be good to go I reckon.

Turns out the theme of Season 482 was things the narrator doesn't know. I found this out because the song I was working on tonight, I already did for Season 482. My two other top choices for "I don't know" songs are ones I've also done already. I may have to repeat myself this week. :rolleyes:

Brian to the left of me, Joko to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle between Seasons 619* and 620.

I've done this one fairly recently, and Rick's already done it for 619, but it's the only one I've found so far that meets both themes. I'm open for suggestions for tomorrow, if anyone can come up with a second one that you're not planning to do.

It will be 4 hours to 2024 when I post here at the start of the Season. Happy New Year, Seasonistas!

* (I said 618 on the video by mistake ... twice!)

Thanks Joko. I know you sometimes like to take a song in a major key and rework in a minor.. and visa versa. Some nursery rhymes and kid's songs have merry melodies which belie some macabre lyrical elements..eg" Ring a round the rosie " referencing tthe Black Plague.
Here I've taken " Oranges and Lemons say the Bells of St Clement's" and given it a dark melody.
It could be about Dickensian Loan Sharking after all. on Guitalele in a modal tuning. Tuning on youtube..I've forgotten already.

a Jim Horne song Jon and I recorded today!

"The door is open
come on in
I don`t know
where to begin
to tell you of all
the happy things
that surely will come to pass."

the rest of the lyrics are in the YouTube description.
Jim Horne's beautiful original is
here.

Brian to the left of me, Joko to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle between Seasons 619* and 620.

I've done this one fairly recently, and Rick's already done it for 619, but it's the only one I've found so far that meets both themes. I'm open for suggestions for tomorrow, if anyone can come up with a second one that you're not planning to do.

It will be 4 hours to 2024 when I post here at the start of the Season. Happy New Year, Seasonistas!

* (I said 618 on the video by mistake ... twice!)

Dusty Springfield
I don't know just what to do with myself
I don't know just what to do with myself
Baby if your new love ever turns you down
Come on back I will be around
Just waiting for you
I don't know what else to do

An interesting theme, Joko! I just hope that there are more songs out there than I can currently think of ... about two! Meanwhile, as the great Manuel said ...

hahaha.gif

A few weeks ago, I submitted the song “Santa Lost a Ho” which included the line “I don’t know” in the chorus. That song is now safely tucked away and hibernating till December 2024.

Top Bottom