60 Years ago today!

The only one lip-synching was George. No backing tracks or auto-tune. That was real. So was Ed Sullivan.

I never realized it was only 2-part harmony.

In Warsaw, Paul played through an Ampeg "refrigerator." I can't find the actual date of the performance.

Last edited:
If you don't have a TV, you can watch Ed Sullivan's Rock and Roll Revolution which documents the Beatles and other invasion acts on his show and the history of music at the time. All day long it will be featured on Pluto, free streaming site.

In 1965 when I was 15, I learned to play rhythm guitar because of The Beatles and the British Invasion. Played for almost 50 years when in mid 2013, I took up tenor reentrant ukulele, joined a uke group of 35 and never touched my guitars again. A year later I took up bass uke, which is now my primary instrument. We play a number of Beatles songs.

@EDW, I've never seen that George and Paul Simon performance, excellent in my opinion.

I remember watching that clip live on SNL back in the day. I was a huge Beatles guy back then and it was very exciting to watch. It was as close to Beatlemania I'd experienced until I saw McCartney live around 2000.

The Ed Sullivan appearance was 1964. Sgt Pepper was released in 1967.

LOL. It is truly amazing to listen to their transformation over such a short time.

Sorry,

And, three years after the Ed Sullivan show, "Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play".
Seventeen years before, wasn't it?

"It was twenty years ago today / Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play"

The Ed Sullivan appearance was 1964. Sgt Pepper was released in 1967.
I was finishing high school and was college bound* when Sgt. Pepper hit the scene in Des Moines, Iowa. “Mom, you’ve gotta hear this,” I said, and played it for my mother. She was blown away. We both cried over “She’s Leaving Home.”

*Yes, I’m 74! Hereby saving y’all from having to count on your fingers.

LOL. It is truly amazing to listen to their transformation over such a short time.
It's so impressive. Quite a musical journey that many still enjoy today. It's amazing that after all these years, there are still people new to their music, (who weren't even born until many years after they broke up!), who are loving their music.

Gift link for anyone who might want to read this:

How one man’s advance planning brought Beatlemania to America
Brian Epstein, the Beatles’s 29-year-old manager, spent months engineering “Operation U.S.A.,” a strategy for massive stateside success

Gift link for anyone who might want to read this:

How one man’s advance planning brought Beatlemania to America
Brian Epstein, the Beatles’s 29-year-old manager, spent months engineering “Operation U.S.A.,” a strategy for massive stateside success

This is a fabulous article—the author is a Pulitzer Prize winning reporter who’s writing a book about the Beatles. It underscores for me the stupidity of the US record companies. And the ingenuity of American radio disc jockeys in finding British records & tapes and putting them on the air when Capitol was too timid to get with the program.

Thank you, Murray the K!

Top Bottom