5 string instrument - Jacob Collier

Neil_O

Reaction score

I was very curious about the 5-evenly-spaced-strings Ko'olau in the thread above. It appeals to me for some reason. Soon after I saw this video where Jacob Collier is presented as the originator of this instrument. I especially like the fact that even a fancypants musician such as he wanted a crutch to learn guitar, like a Loog or that three string Romero Uke.

How would you tune the Ko'olau?

Here is how Keith Richards tunes his 5-string guitar.

Pretty sure keef plays a 6 string guitar. He just doesn't cotton to the low E so he removes one, lacking symmetry on the neck. I have been mildly worried that putting tension on one side of the neck may be detrimental to the guitar. Jacob Collier has a plan. DAEAD

I built a 5 string for Jim Hanks a few years ago. It simply had a "D" added at the bottom... dGCEA. It uses pretty much the same chord shapes as a 4 string ukulele. He has posted some videos of himself playing it.
It is not too hard to get use to.
I built my personal guitar as a 5 string...just left off the low "E".

Screenshot 2024-03-26 064604.png

Hello,
This subject came up in various threads ("5 evenly spaced strings", if memory serves me well), so I share again my experiment :
I have a Timple, which is a spanish 5-strings instrument from the Canary Islands, sized like a tenor uke. I choosed to tune it gGCEA, so this offers the possibility to play both linear and re-entrant or, if you prefer, to play linear with the added technique of campanella scales.
Very versatile and a lot of fun !
Hope this helps,
Gilles

The sheer number of strings isn't novel, but his tuning is:
  • lower strings in fifths like a mandola (wide jumps, at the 7th fret, logical lay-out and more range),
  • upper strings in fourths like a guitar or ukulele (closer, at the 4th or 5th fret, easier chording).
Even lap steels (infamous for having all kinds of different tunings) never have this kind of tuning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom