Festival 2023 Los Angeles International Ukulele Festival

I don't DO facebook, so I'm sorry that I can't leave an honestly glowing review. This will be my third time going and I've been spreading the word. I'm so excited for it. The lineup this year is insane.
I also am not a Facebooker (is that even a word?) but I wouldn’t miss this event. It’s too too wonderful.

Hi Mitch!

Do you happen to know what's on the agenda for Mika Kane's Music Theory workshop? I guess I am hoping for it to be something like "theory as it applies to the ukulele" specifically and GCEA fretboard rather than general "these are the scale degrees that make a major chord...drop the 3rd a half-step and it becomes minor" or "I-V-vi-IV is a common chord progression."

I understand if you don't have time to answer/investigate this question!! Like others, I try to map out my workshop schedule ahead of time to maximize my experience. So, even it it's "basic" music theory info that I know already, I can learn how others teach this information and what works from a teaching perspective. I learn a lot about teaching and pacing from these workshops - they are so valuable.

It'll definitely involve the Roman numeral system and transposition - I know he can go as advanced as the people who show up want to go/can handle

Who lives out of state/out of country and totally wishes you could be here in L.A. with us in person to see all the live performances from the stellar lineup of artists coming to the festival???

We are working on a plan to video all the main stage performances (Craig & Sarah, Ukulollo, Abby Lyons, Abe Lagrimas, Jenifer Cabrera, Lil Rev, Katie DeNure, Mika Kane, the Legacy Ukulele Ensemble, Corey Fujimoto & Kalei Gamiao) and make it available for your viewing pleasure (probably a couple days after the festival) in exchange for a donation to a Maui charity to help our friends on the Valley Isle.

Who's down???

Who lives out of state/out of country and totally wishes you could be here in L.A. with us in person to see all the live performances from the stellar lineup of artists coming to the festival???

We are working on a plan to video all the main stage performances (Craig & Sarah, Ukulollo, Abby Lyons, Abe Lagrimas, Jenifer Cabrera, Lil Rev, Katie DeNure, Mika Kane, the Legacy Ukulele Ensemble, Corey Fujimoto & Kalei Gamiao) and make it available for your viewing pleasure (probably a couple days after the festival) in exchange for a donation to a Maui charity to help our friends on the Valley Isle.

Who's down???
I'd love to have that available to watch, even tho I'm going to hopefully catch a lot of it in person, visiting from WA. It'd be nice to be able to rewatch and also catch any performances I miss, if I'm in a workshop. Great idea!

That's right, exclude those of us living in CA or coming in person! It's tough enough trying to fit in all the good eating while remembering that we are there for the festival.

Will there be any specific activities/fundraising for Maui Relief? We just attended an Aloha Festival in NorCal the weekend after the fire and unfortunately, there was not even a donation box. The feeling is that it was a missed opportunity (especially since the event was free and well attended).

Aside from the possible post-festival video donation project, Kiwanis is planning to be there with a booth to collect donations to be funneled to Maui Kiwanis. There's nothing stopping you from making donations directly online to whoever you want - Maui Food Bank, Maui Humane Society, etc

Here are the models Corey & Kalei will be bringing with them to the festival that you can preorder - highly recommended!!! These instruments are just amazing

ANueNue UT200 Bird Series Moon Spruce Rosewood Tenor Ukulele​

ANueNue UC214 Cedar Moon Bird Concert Ukulele​

ANueNue AMM3 African Mahogany Tenor Ukulele​

ANueNue AMM2 African Mahogany Concert Ukulele​

ANueNue UC200 Bird Series Moon Spruce Rosewood Concert Ukulele​

ANueNue US5K Bird Series Koa Soprano Ukulele​

ANueNue UT5K Bird Series Koa Tenor Ukulele​

ANueNue UT5K Bird Series Koa Tenor Ukulele​

Tickets for all-day access Saturday 9/23: https://www.tix.com/ticket-sales/kalakoa/1723/event/1308861

Tickets for all-access to workshops, performances, strum-alongs Sunday 9/24 9am-1:30pm: https://www.tix.com/ticket-sales/kalakoa/1723/event/1334240

Tickets for NUE concert Sunday 9/24 2pm: https://torrancearts.org/show/nue-na-ukulele-ekolu/

View attachment 158155
NUE ought to be really good... I've seen NUe in HNL (na ukulele elua, just Bryan and Hale, lol)

If you still haven't purchased your tickets...what are you waiting for??? There are less than 200 tickets left for next week Saturday Sept 23 and about the same number for Sunday Sept 24 so you better grab yours before they're gone! All day workshops, performances, strum-along's, open mic, prizes, vendors...9am - 6pm, all for only $47 Saturday and $27 Sunday...what's there to think about?!? https://losangelesukulelefestival.com

Get your tickets here

ukulele festival smiles.png

To all UU members planning to attend this event:

There is an UU group that will meet after the first performance of Craig and Sarah (9:30 am). Meetup will be at the nearby (nextdoor?) Japanese Garden at the cultural center and estimated to be around 10:15 to 10:30 am. We can introduce ourselves and see where it goes from there.

Alan is arranging for a Saturday night dinner after the event. Details on the PM group list that hands-on-lanzon has put together. PM him if interested in either. Same with Alan (ailevin) if you want to join a group for dinner and ukulele playing Saturday night.

Who's down???
Thanks, @mitchchang ! I was just wondering about this while reading about all the fun.

Who's down???
I missed this! Yes please!!

Everyone who's going have a great time and a great UU meetup and jam!

Top Bottom