Strings Is there an easy way to tie (tie bridge) wound strings?

Yup. But complicated to remember.

It’s easy to turn down each loose end before tightening and trimming with nail clippers.
I initially did the cool tuck but have a tendency to forget tucking and now I generally clip the ends to a short piece that hides neatly.

I find it more likely to catch something on the bundle of string on the end of the bridge, above the holes.
That's why I tuck once and make sure the tucked one is under the next one.
It's my OCD zen-moment when I restring. My playing is sloppy but my strings are sleek 😁...

Now for clipping the wound strings, the OP mentioned that unwinding strings started the whole tying issue. But is not clear if they were unravelling from cut ends or at the frets. Has anyone had issue with cutting wound strings and the end unwinding?

I disagree...if cut short there is nothing sticking out and if it is, it is too short to stab anything and it pointed the wrong way (down).
View attachment 170978
I find it more likely to catch something on the bundle of string on the end of the bridge, above the holes.
View attachment 170979
Agreed. I trim them short just that way. Bring them up to pitch and make sure there is no slippage, then trim them.

I have found that if you make sure to pull the looped knot closest to the soundboard, making sure the last crossing of the string happens underneath the ledge of the bridge, that the knot will always hold. I find this true of all strings, not just wound strings.

Great video by Aaron Keim of Beansprout. Not only how to wrap strings at the tie bar, but how to ensure there aren’t too many windings at the pegs, why this is important, and how to wrap the windings on the peg so that the strings lock themselves in place.

He makes it look so easy that I can’t wait to string something up!

Great video by Aaron Keim of Beansprout. Not only how to wrap strings at the tie bar, but how to ensure there aren’t too many windings at the pegs, why this is important, and how to wrap the windings on the peg so that the strings lock themselves in place.

He makes it look so easy that I can’t wait to string something up!

That's a great video, I really admire Aaron Keim and appreciate his tuition.

I make two loops and make sure they finish turning to the middle, cut them short (thanks Steve) after making sure they are not slipping. Also important, put a piece of low tack tape down behind the bridge before changing strings.

IMG_2662.jpg

Top Bottom