Strings Is there an easy way to tie (tie bridge) wound strings?

Eggs_n_Ham

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
The wound D and G string on my Pono bari have both spontaneously unwound necessitating a replacement. I don't seem to have the strength to create effective loops when tying wound strings and it's a struggle to achieve an esthetic and accurate tie. I use the quasi surgeon's knot (loop, loop loop)

Is there an easier method to secure wound "tie method" strings?

Here's an image (not my uke) of the bridge type and tie type for those that need a visual.

Attachments

• types-of-ukulele-bridges.jpg
    types-of-ukulele-bridges.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 27
I find tie bar extremely easy to tie just a few wraps that's all and it seems to neatly tighten just by pulling on the string toward the headstock. This is a picture of my six string where I used a wound guitar string for low A and I coiled the long end at the bridge, and after more than two years when it was worn untied it and extended the unused part. This took about 10 minutes and it sounds almost like a new string and the tying did not cause damage.
1000008390.jpg

Like badhabits, I just loop around once and pull tight on the headstock end, and they've never failed to hold. For a smaller wound string I might go two loops but it probably wouldn't be necessary.

Like badhabits, I just loop around once and pull tight on the headstock end, and they've never failed to hold. For a smaller wound string I might go two loops but it probably wouldn't be necessary.
Diamond String Ties have changed how i secure my tie bridge strings forever

I find tie bar extremely easy to tie just a few wraps that's all and it seems to neatly tighten
All really great solutions! Those string ties look like they'll do the trick for sure. I think part of my problem tying the wound string this time was how short the string was, there wasn't more than 6 inches or so of spare string for tying and then winding on the tuner post (GHS baritone strings, bought purely to try them). Plus I have at least three ukes with tie bridges and I used my default three loop technique.

Thanks for helping me sort this out, I always appreciate fellow UU'rs wisdom!

Good stuff here. I'm still a newbie and string changes aren't something I look forward too. And I love the look of a properly tied tie bridge....I've seen pictures lol

I'm a newbie diving in. My Kala soprano is tied, just like the picture in the OP. All the strings pass under one another. Is there a reason for this, and is it essential when restringing?

I'm a newbie diving in. My Kala soprano is tied, just like the picture in the OP. All the strings pass under one another. Is there a reason for this, and is it essential when restringing?
It is not essential and doesn't really do anything besides looking a bit neat.
Purely up to preference.

I prefer to cut the ends without tucking, like this:

435726897_399867302974591_4522815559441557558_n.jpg

It is the easiest and least problematic of all bridge types as you don't have to deal with tying and seating a knot. You just wrap (tuck) and pull it tight. That's why all the classical guitars have it.

It is not essential and doesn't really do anything besides looking a bit neat.
Purely up to preference.

I prefer to cut the ends without tucking, like this:

View attachment 170911
I've been doing this lately (what I call "the Koaloha way"), except not cutting, just tying the ends short....it's not hard.

Last edited:
The wound D and G string on my Pono bari have both spontaneously unwound necessitating a replacement.

I’ve switched to unwound fluorocarbon strings after broken windings on the first two sets.

I don't seem to have the strength to create effective loops when tying wound strings and it's a struggle to achieve an esthetic and accurate tie.

At the tie bar start with very large loops. Then tighten gently by tugging and guiding until snug. Use additional loop or two on the skinny slippery strings.

I don’t do the fancy end tucks.

Trim the loose end with nail clippers.

At the post end I cut the string leaving 2-3 inches. Thread through the hole and bend 1/2” of the end sideways. Wind the string using the windings to pin down the 1/2” tip to avoid slippage.

Cheers.

By tucking them under, there is less chance of sharp ends sticking out and possibly stabbing your arm while you play. The last string can be tucked the other way to be sure it's tip is also restrained.

Found a photo of the Kala (which I am selling) with Ties and Worth Browns which I think are a nice clean look. I used to really fuss with making nice tidy loop ties, loose ends tucked, and such then had a store owner tell me I made too many twists which impacted sound (supposedly) and said "stuff this" thus the Diamonds which are easy and according to website make for a better sound(not at my playing level). Now if I had a uke that I wanted to display I would definitely spend the time on the loops and make it super clean and traditional looking.

Kala Bridge View.jpg

By tucking them under, there is less chance of sharp ends sticking out and possibly stabbing your arm while you play. The last string can be tucked the other way to be sure it's tip is also restrained.

Yup. But complicated to remember.

It’s easy to turn down each loose end before tightening and trimming with nail clippers.

I disagree...if cut short there is nothing sticking out and if it is, it is too short to stab anything and is pointed the wrong way (down).
IMG_20240416_145007609.jpg
I find it more likely to catch something on the bundle of string on the end of the bridge, above the holes.
IMG_20240416_145035673.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom