Strings Risa stick soprano strings

JukeManJole

Reaction score
I recently acquired a soprano Risa stick. Here is the listing with pictures. Upon receipt, it is everything I want. I really only play for myself and this will get me playing in my office more than any other uke. I have it hooked up to a Roland micro cube and have headphones hooked up to that. Sounds just the way I want, which some people might say isn’t really a ukulele sound. Bonus is that I don’t seem to require a strap when sitting.

The strings in it won’t hold a tune. Probably just old and been sitting unplayed for a few years, as the listing seemed to indicate. Need a string recommendation. I’ve looked through all the old threads here and have a few questions.

1. These look like the upgraded banjo tuners, right?

2. Are unwound nylon strings okay? Seems like Risa recommends fluorocarbon, but many people seem to be using nylon.

3. Small sample size, but I’ve played what I think are nylons in a shop on a uke, in a friend’s classical guitar and I think what is on this stick. They seem easier and more enjoyable to press down than the clear and brown fluorocarbon strings I’ve tried. Is there any truth to nylons being easier to fret or is that just down to setup on the instruments I’ve played?

4. I have the following sets of strings for possible use, all described as best for soprano or soprano/concert. I bought a bunch on Amazon after reading a recommendation to buy different types and try them. Worth Brown High G; D’Addario Black Nylon; Martin M600; Aquila AQ-5 New Nylgut Low G (I believe this has a wound low g string, but I am not sure); D’Addario Clear Nylon.

Any recommendations?

I've got mine strung with the D'Addario 53's (black nylon). Just my personal preference on this one. Indeed, slightly lower tension.

If the strings were slackened for long time then it will take a week or longer for them to stretch to stability. Just tune them up at few times each day and be patient. I also find that some carbon strings can be challenging to play as they are thin and stiff but on a soprano tension is usually quite low. If you prefer thick strings like I do then d'addario, GHS, or LaBella make good quality nylon strings.

From the pictures it looks like the stock tuners (friction), no UPT's. Maybe they need to be pinched up?

Yes tuners of a new one look bigger.

Glad you have found what you are looking for.

Could it be stock friction tuners with upgraded banjo buttons? I left my tuners as is and simply upgraded the buttons. Your tuners look shorter than mine, but your buttons do look like mine.

My research on strings for a stick led me to avoid Aquilla and a wound low G. Aquillas may snap on the stick and wound strings might hurt the bridge without a buffer.

I used the Freemont low G clear and the Worth clears. Not exactly soft, so I'll be curious about the nylons.

I used the Freemont low G clear and the Worth clears. Not exactly soft, so I'll be curious about the nylons.
I went with the black nylons first. Too much excess string at first so I had to redo it. They feel buttery smooth. Feel like break in time is normal but as other threads suggest, tuning is jerky and frustrating, but I’m getting the hang of it. I may try to buy some of the graphite lube that I’ve seen mentioned.

I’m going to try fluorocarbons in a few days to see what they are like. If they aren’t as pleasant to play as nylons, I’ll put the black nylons back on or try the clear nylons.

Given an 1/8 th turn with a screwdriver. A nip, a tweak, a squeeze. A bit of a tightening 😁.
I thought the tuners might be slipping...

I'm not a fan of fluorocarbon strings in general.
Every time I use fluorocarbons, they feel skinny, tight and aren't the optimal thickness and feel to accommodate my finger picking style.
I think their popularity may stem from the fact that they tend to be louder and brighter sounding, especially strum, compared to nylons.
I do like Fluorocarbon unwound low G strings, on their own with the other strings on the uke being nylons.

D'addario Pro Arte Clear nylon strings for Concert ukulele (EJ65C) are my go-to strings for Soprano, Concert and Tenors too.
They work fantastically on the Risa stick ukuleles.

If you want to substitute that high-G for low-G, I would suggest buying a separate unwound fluorocarbon low-G string like the Fremont (black or clear, doesn't matter).

As mentioned in this thread already, the Aquila red unwound low-G's tend to snap on Risa's, and Wound low-G's chew away the plastic saddle.

Update:

I loved the black nylons. Tuning was really bad and jerky, so I took them off to apply some of the lubricant folks recommended.

I tried to put on worth browns. I had exactly half of the length of each string. For those unaware, worth sends long strings which is great because you can cut them in half and use them twice in sopranos. So I had already used the first half on another uke. The “half A” string wasn’t long enough. Good thing I started with that one. Saved me some time.

I then opened my D’Addario clear nylons only to read the string tension chart was for ADF#B. Interesting, but I decided to set aside for later.

So I just put on the Martin clear fluorocarbon strings. They do sound brighter and crisper, which I don’t like as much, but some may. Surprisingly (to me), they are just as easy to fret for barre chords. Still, the nylons just had a better feel on my fingers, which made it more enjoyable to play. I’ll probably wear these out and then put on the black nylons again later and then stick with those. I wish there was such a thing as unwound low g nylons, but maybe that would just be too thick?

After applying the lubricant, tuning does seem a little easier, but not near the experience of gears. I’m going to just roll with the friction tuners for now. I’ll probably get used to them, and I’d probably break something trying to change them out for planetary tuners anyways.

I concur, I use those as well on a couple of soprano's (not the Stick, that has black nylons) in GCEA. Slightly less tension (what I like), but otherwise no problem... I actually allways buy these wrong on purpose just for that 😁.

Well I’m tired of these friction tuners. I should have just bought a new stick from Mim even though I didn’t like the black/gray finish. Does anyone know where I can buy a set of the tuners used on the newer models?

Well I’m tired of these friction tuners. I should have just bought a new stick from Mim even though I didn’t like the black/gray finish. Does anyone know where I can buy a set of the tuners used on the newer models?
just sell that one on and buy a newer model secondhand... now that you know what you are looking for? Will be less hassle...

You could get in touch with Risa themselves: info@ukulele.de

I did reach out after I sent the message. The old models aren’t compatible with the new tuners. Here is what they said: “unfortunately, the tuners are not compatible. The new tuners need a bigger diameter for the tuner shaft und also the gear box is partly sank into the body. This is very difficult to change, because the holes are tilt”

Oh well! I will consider selling this one and getting a newer one or simply just figuring out how to live with it. It is a great little instrument and I like the natural finish quite a bit.

Top Bottom