New Uke Day (NUD) NUD!!!! Pono Spruce Top Mahogany Tenor ProClassic

Doc Ivory

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Finally, brandy new Pono Spruce Top Mahogany Tenor ProClassic has arrived!
Really nice instrument. All the seams and joints look well matched.

The setup is NUTS!
I've been around guitar, mandolin and banjo setups for many a year. Some good, some could have used
more care and patience.
This one is PERFECT.
No buzzing, frets are well dressed, intonation is WAY good and the action is pretty low.

I'll need to play it for a bit and listen to how it opens up.

I'm just WAY impressed.

-Jim

Attachments

• Pono 1 copy.jpg
    Pono 1 copy.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 41
  • pono2.jpg
    pono2.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 37
  • pono3.jpg
    pono3.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 42
  • pono4.jpg
    pono4.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 46
  • pono5.jpg
    pono5.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 45
It's a beauty. Congratulations! I knew you'd find the wait for a full set up well worth it.

The setup is NUTS!
I've been around guitar, mandolin and banjo setups for many a year. Some good, some could have used
more care and patience.
This one is PERFECT.
No buzzing, frets are well dressed, intonation is WAY good and the action is pretty low.

Huge congrats on your new baby!!! Sure is beautiful!

I'm sure it will bring you lots of joy! I'm a big fan of Pono/'Oli/Ko'olau, maybe I'll have the trifecta someday
😅

But I completely agree regarding the setups! If you've put in real time on a fret board and get to play an instrument set up by them, you'll know what I mean, chef kiss

Huge congrats on your new baby!!! Sure is beautiful!

I'm sure it will bring you lots of joy! I'm a big fan of Pono/'Oli/Ko'olau, maybe I'll have the trifecta someday
😅

But I completely agree regarding the setups! If you've put in real time on a fret board and get to play an instrument set up by them, you'll know what I mean, chef kiss
I figured nothing could beat the setups on my Les Pauls.
Then along came the Ukulele Site. HOT DANG!!!
I'm sold and my arthritic hands thanks THEM!!! LOL!!!

She's a beauty! Congrats and enjoy!

Thanks Suzie!!
I just can't get over the setup. WOWZERS!
And.... everyone said it would be worth the wait. Glad you now agree!

So if you order another one today, it might be another two weeks. But time will fly by this time because you will be playing and enjoying this new Pono!

Lovely! Spruce and Mahogany is such a nice combo! Enjoy!

I'm just WAY impressed.

Mine's a spruce and mahogany too, and I agree -- astounding sound, and nearly two years down the road, it sounds and even LOOKS better than ever!

And another amen to the setter uppers at HMS/TUS. Absolute wizards, these people!

Congratulations, brother! Thanks for sharing the love!

Mine's a spruce and mahogany too, and I agree -- astounding sound, and nearly two years down the road, it sounds and even LOOKS better than ever!

And another amen to the setter uppers at HMS/TUS. Absolute wizards, these people!

Congratulations, brother! Thanks for sharing the love!
I love the spruce and mahogany combination!
I truly can't wait to hear it open up which i plan to start doing as I write this.

Your right the techs over at TUS are just amazing!

Wow! It is so interesting, I looked at that very uke on the TUS website back in February and wondered who bought it. Pono's are so well made. Congratulations! I ended up buying the Millar Bolivian Rosewood Tenor from them and it arrived perfectly set up. Those guys are great!
Thanks!!!
I was looking at it and looking at it and just hadda pull the trigger.

I just went out to look at yours. That rosewood is truly gorgeous, do you like your Millar?

Chuck Moore of Moore Bettah ukulele fame has recommended to "play a new instrument long, loud and hard and you'll hear a real difference in the first month". People can argue if or if not stringed instruments open up but every luthier I have talked to says well made all solid wood instruments do indeed. Plus it's just plain fun to play them a lot.

Congratulations on a beautiful ukulele and welcome to the first hand experience HMS fan club.

Chuck Moore of Moore Bettah ukulele fame has recommended to "play a new instrument long, loud and hard and you'll hear a real difference in the first month". People can argue if or if not stringed instruments open up but every luthier I have talked to says well made all solid wood instruments do indeed. Plus it's just plain fun to play them a lot.

Congratulations on a beautiful ukulele and welcome to the first hand experience HMS fan club.
I can attest to wood instruments opening up after playing a while, it really happens!!!
As the wood vibrates, the lignin relaxes allowing the wood to vibrate even more so and the tone just opens up..

There are devices out there to help solid wood instruments to do just that though i've never tried one.

I like the old fashioned way, just play.

Top Bottom