Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

Dear friends,
So glad to see the name of Filippo Sauli pop up...

Our fellow member Herman Vandecauter did wonders with this repertoire :

Thanks for posting one of Herman’s videos, Gilles. I always enjoy his posts to the Forum. In addition to being an accomplished player, the visuals in Herman’s videos are always interesting. He plays in some of the prettiest places.

Terrific, @acharman; I love that tune. There’s another version in the Jeff Peterson book, but it’s a bit abbreviated compared to Ruthen’s. Your playing is gorgeous. And you just picked this up? Not fair! I might hope to play that well after months of concentrated practice.

@acharman these are beautifully played. Thanks for reminding me about PDF Minstrel, I'll be looking through these again.
Um. Yeah. This.

Thanks.

Some things like sight-reading pieces (so long as they're not too fast or too complex) has stayed with me since stopping learning classical guitar over 40 years ago. The first couple I went to from Roger's site I had no hope of playing without a lot of practice. These two fell fairly nicely under my fingers with only some minor mistakes. Most of my reading recently has been traditional tunes (Irish, English, Australian) on mandolin or mandola so it's good to mix it up a bit.

Big thanks to Amie for starting this wonderful thread! I have followed & enjoyed the many video renditions with great interest and would like to congratulate all the participants for their fabulous and inspiring contributions.
Thanks also to Tom (engravertom) for sharing his passion for all things classical, especially the works of Filippo Sauli which I hadn't heard of before and have since become a big fan.
Here's a piece by Filippo Sauli (thanks again Tom) from Partita No. 3. It's a Prelude originally composed for Baroque Mandolin and seems to work quite nicely on the ukulele. I have included a link to the TAB in the video description at YouTube.

That was superb, Campbell, what a treat to have you join this thread! Your playing is wonderful and you have such a light touch, your music is always a joy. More please!

What a beautiful and calming piece. And all from memory! You look so fluid and relaxed, and it makes me very happy I’m having my concert re-strung to low G right now.
So beautiful, Victoria. Thanks for the inspiration!
Thank you both so much, as always this thread is such a wonderful source of inspiration and encouragement, I’m hugely grateful for it.

Have you received your concert back, @Timm_S ? I’ve been playing reentrant ukulele almost exclusively for years but I’m loving having a linear option again and being able to explore some different musical options, I’ve found it really refreshing 🙂

Last edited:
Beautiful! What low G string are you using?
Thank you very much! It’s a trusty old Fremont Soloist (although not literally an old one obviously!). I thought about trying something different but the Soloists are by far the most widely available wound string here in the UK and I’m pretty happy with it.

Have you received your concert back, @Timm_S ? I’ve been playing reentrant ukulele almost exclusively for years but I’m loving having a linear option again and being able to explore some different musical options, I’ve found it really refreshing 🙂
No, it’s not back quite yet—it is due to be ready on this coming Wednesday. Meanwhile I’ve been keeping myself amused with our 4 yr old granddaughter’s little soprano that we got for her. Luckily (for me) her uke lives here with us, even though she doesn’t. It just a starter uke, appropriately for me I guess, and it’s strung high-g so I can use that to try out some of these arrangements. My Lanikai Concert will come back low-g so I’ll now have options too. 😉

This is a little piece I wrote around 2 years ago. I was driving home, in a bit of a sad mood, with a light rain falling that was tapering off. When I reached home, the first line of melody came to me, as I was doodling on my reentrant strung guitar. I added the other sections before going to bed. It fits well on the ukulele, too. A very simple Campanella piece, except perhaps for the changes in time signature. Tablature is below.

Thank you very much! It’s a trusty old Fremont Soloist (although not literally an old one obviously!). I thought about trying something different but the Soloists are by far the most widely available wound string here in the UK and I’m pretty happy with it.
Thanks. If you don’t mind non squeak free strings any classical guitar D string will work too.

Last edited:
This is a little piece I wrote around 2 years ago. I was driving home, in a bit of a sad mood, with a light rain falling that was tapering off. When I reached home, the first line of melody came to me, as I was doodling on my reentrant strung guitar. I added the other sections before going to bed. It fits well on the ukulele, too. A very simple Campanella piece...
That is just delightful—expresses the mood well I think, and fits the Campanella style. Now that I know what Campanella is about, that is the floating haunting sound I've been searching for that I heard early on in my uke exploration, and it's getting addicting. I spent a half hour or so this morning just working on the D minor scale exercise in Sam Muir's tutorial video... it's a challenge, to be sure.👍

This is a little piece I wrote around 2 years ago. I was driving home, in a bit of a sad mood, with a light rain falling that was tapering off. When I reached home, the first line of melody came to me, as I was doodling on my reentrant strung guitar. I added the other sections before going to bed. It fits well on the ukulele, too. A very simple Campanella piece, except perhaps for the changes in time signature. Tablature is below.

Wow, Tom. I think you really captured the feeling of that scenario in music, especially with the Campanella style. Beautiful. And thank you for sharing the tab.

Wow, Tom. I think you really captured the feeling of that scenario in music, especially with the Campanella style. Beautiful. And thank you for sharing the tab.
Thank you, Amie! I’m never sure if others will get a similar sense from my music that I get from it. I’m glad you enjoyed it! 🙂

That is just delightful—expresses the mood well I think, and fits the Campanella style. Now that I know what Campanella is about, that is the floating haunting sound I've been searching for that I heard early on in my uke exploration, and it's getting addicting. I spent a half hour or so this morning just working on the D minor scale exercise in Sam Muir's tutorial video... it's a challenge, to be sure.👍
Thank you!

Campanella is challenging, especially so on a ukulele.

A 5 or 6 six string guitar with more reentrant strings is easier, but can be a little overwhelming in it’s own way.

I’m glad you are enjoying the investigation. It is a unique and beautiful effect, and it can be utilized on linear tuned ukes, also.

Such a wonderful piece! I too love the very tasteful use of the campanella passages and also the light & shade in your playing which builds the emotion, great work Tom!

Such a lovely pensive quality to this one, Tom. It takes the listener to an alternate reality, one that encourages thoughtfulness and/or meditation. Thanks for sharing both the video and tab pdf with us.

This thread really has become a very special place…

Last edited:
Thanks. If you don’t mind non squeak free strings any classical guitar D string will work too.
I’m definitely open to trying something else, when I first got the uke I couldn’t wait to hear it with a low G so I just stuck on what I had available. Are all classical guitar D strings the same tension? Does it literally make no difference which one I choose?

I’m definitely open to trying something else, when I first got the uke I couldn’t wait to hear it with a low G so I just stuck on what I had available. Are all classical guitar D strings the same tension? Does it literally make no difference which one I choose?
No the tension on different brands are differvent. Even 2 brands that package them as medium tension might have different tension. Best to look at the published tension. Generally speaking but not always the case, the thicker the string the higher the tension. D strings vary from 0.028 to 0.033 usually. For shorter scales like soprano a thicker string might be better otherwise it might be too loose. The wound material that they use will affect the tone as well. Brass, copper, silver etc. The Fremont that you use is 0.03 gauge. You can check stringsbymail.com for different string tension across various brands. Different ukes will sound differently with the same strings too. So it’s a matter of finding the perfect pairing to your ears.

Top Bottom