The Beansprout Owners Thread

Also just discovered this thread and would like to add to the chorus of how much I love my own Beansprout. I think I'm at least the third owner of this baritone with a lot of character to it: stunning grafted walnut, lots of filled-in dents and old nail holes, fun swirly pistachio fingerboard, and the cedar top really smells like the West Coast to me.

Don't think this has been mentioned in this thread yet, but I really appreciate Aaron's commitment to sustainability -- he only uses readily renewable local woods or salvaged stuff (for example, old flooring or furniture). You get a nice handwritten card explaining where the materials for your specific instrument come from too.

Finally, the sound of this baritone is amazing! There's no real substitute for having it actually rumbling in your lap but it's got none of the boomy muddiness which I don't like in some other baritones. It sounds incredibly clear while also being full.

I don't think I'd ever willingly let this instrument go since the craftsmanship is so astounding.

I am getting the itch, strongly to become a Beansprout owner. I am in the intermediate stage of playing. I bought a custom Koa concert( Not Beansprout) last year and was thinking about a soprano. Then I understand some builders will use longer neck say soprano w/concert neck and Aaron doesn't seem to talk that way. Then I heard him talk about an Alto and I thought that would be a great solution. I lived most of my life in Oregon/ Wash but now reside in SC. So I want something with Port Orford cedar and some Myrtle in there.Something NW. I really liked the one he built to take to the Hawaii conference. As he put it "All Oregon" kind of build . So I really don't have a question just want to get in to the Beansprout family! Do any of you have an Alto? I also want to travel to to Menucha Band Camp. It will be an alternative to Europe but, I don't want to rule that out!

I am getting the itch, strongly to become a Beansprout owner. I am in the intermediate stage of playing. I bought a custom Koa concert( Not Beansprout) last year and was thinking about a soprano. Then I understand some builders will use longer neck say soprano w/concert neck and Aaron doesn't seem to talk that way. Then I heard him talk about an Alto and I thought that would be a great solution. I lived most of my life in Oregon/ Wash but now reside in SC. So I want something with Port Orford cedar and some Myrtle in there.Something NW. I really liked the one he built to take to the Hawaii conference. As he put it "All Oregon" kind of build . So I really don't have a question just want to get in to the Beansprout family! Do any of you have an Alto? I also want to travel to to Menucha Band Camp. It will be an alternative to Europe but, I don't want to rule that out!
I don't want to be an alarmist, but if you want to get a Beansprout uke, now would be the time to get on the list. In a recent video, Aaron hinted that he may need to raise prices soon, and also most concerning, he discussed some physical issues that may eventually limit what he can do and for how long. If you can swing it financially, you can't go wrong with a custom Beansprout ukulele.

Larry,
Thanks I was thinking the same thing. i saw his update about that. I am planning on a deposit in the next couple of weeks and I sent him an email. I figured I couldn't go wrong with a beansprout.

Looks like you guys will get August 2024 build slots. You'll most likely hear from them in June sometime to finalize details.
I have a baritone coming in April and we squared away the details in January. Very easy to work with Aaron and Nicole. (y)

What's the neck shape for Beansprouts? Is it a thicker neck like Pono?
I'm not sure how to compare it. I've never played a Pono as I tend to like/play 1.5" nut width. Aaron will make the neck with either a 1 3/8" or 1.5" width at the nut and does allow for some shape adjustment if you are able to describe exactly what you want. I asked for 1.5", left the rest of the equation up to him and all I can say is that it is very comfortable.

I'm not sure how to compare it. I've never played a Pono as I tend to like/play 1.5" nut width. Aaron will make the neck with either a 1 3/8" or 1.5" width at the nut and does allow for some shape adjustment if you are able to describe exactly what you want. I asked for 1.5", left the rest of the equation up to him and all I can say is that it is very comfortable.
I meant the neck profile, not the width of the fretboard

Looks like you guys will get August 2024 build slots. You'll most likely hear from them in June sometime to finalize details.
I have a baritone coming in April and we squared away the details in January. Very easy to work with Aaron and Nicole. (y)
They are the absolute best to work with. Aaron sends regular updates with pics and Nicole also sends other updates - she runs the admin side with amazing efficiency. Oh and they are both just such great people.

Just got the youtube vid of my newly made uke - it's going to a friend and I'm going to pick it up in 6 long agonising weeks...
This one is just so beautiful and clear and well made and loud. I'm so stoked. facebook pics:

Yes, i am looking forward to it. Love the approach to sustainability in materials. It makes it much more meaningful to me. They do seem to be good folks. Thats a good combination. I look forward to chatting with Aaron about materials. I have spent a fair amount of time looking at past builds. I like the Beansprout logo. It isn’t a regular thing on each instrument. I guess you would have to request it. Have to ask Aaron about that. I am super excited! Like a kid waiting for my birthday!

Yes, i am looking forward to it. Love the approach to sustainability in materials. It makes it much more meaningful to me. They do seem to be good folks. Thats a good combination. I look forward to chatting with Aaron about materials. I have spent a fair amount of time looking at past builds. I like the Beansprout logo. It isn’t a regular thing on each instrument. I guess you would have to request it. Have to ask Aaron about that. I am super excited! Like a kid waiting for my birthday!
Aaron is big on communicating via videos. That makes it easy for him to show you various wood selections based on your preferences. You can then take your time reviewing while making choices. It's the next best thing to visiting the shop and seeing the woods in person. It is virtually impossible to describe the look of woods in words alone. If you have favorites from past builds you have seen, you can relay the # and what you liked about it if you're looking for something similar.

I have a short list from the vids I have watched and then hoping he steers me . I moved from the NW so i wanted to be somewhat themed around NW woods.

I have a short list from the vids I have watched and then hoping he steers me . I moved from the NW so i wanted to be somewhat themed around NW woods.
Everything he builds will look and sound amazing. It's a good idea to give him a general idea and then let his creative juices flow! :cool: (y)

Top Bottom