Classical Ukulele Players Challenge!

Oh well, I checked out goodwill finds after work today. There was a nice looking Kala solid mahogany tenor with case for $82 shipped. Based on the label it looks like a 2008 vintage. I will have a low g instrument again soon. šŸ™ƒ

Here's something that I occasionally doodle on ukulele. My timing is not the traditional timing, particularly in the second part. It's how I like it though. I also play it unadorned, because I enjoy the peaceful openness between the notes.

Ar Hyd y Nos" (English: All Through the Night) is a Welsh song sung to a tune that was first recorded in Edward Jones' Musical and Poetical Relics of the Welsh Bards (1784).

I love this. My dad was Welsh and Ar Hyd y Nos (along with Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau) holds a very special place in my heart.

Aloha, Guys!

Iā€™ve tried my best to play something like this. Although Iā€™m not good enough, bit still Iā€™m enjoying it. I wish I had more time practicing. Iā€™m way far from a classical ukulele player, but I really love this thread. I do like fingerstyle more than strumming. Please keep this thread showing up in my ā€˜whatā€™s newā€™ frequently!

Jean

Aloha, Guys!

Iā€™ve tried my best to play something like this. Although Iā€™m not good enough, bit still Iā€™m enjoying it. I wish I had more time practicing. Iā€™m way far from a classical ukulele player, but I really love this thread. I do like fingerstyle more than strumming. Please keep this thread showing up in my ā€˜whatā€™s newā€™ frequently!

Jean

That was lovely, @Jeanpaul. Quite an ambitious piece, and you played it very well! Of COURSE youā€™re a classical player! Show us more!(y)

@Jeanpaul I aim to be as smooth and delicate a player as you! That was lovely, and absolutely qualifies. Please share more when you have a moment.

I don't have many opportunities to record what I'm working on, even though I am working and would like to share! I'm hoping some time this weekend I'll have a window of people not being in my space so that I can record something to share.

@Renaissance-Man and I were having a discussion about my ā€œCancionesā€ over on you tube. We thought the conversation might be of interest here.

ā€œIt is interesting about the title. It Almost seems like the title of a section of songs based on that theme. The pieces that follow this one in the original tablature all have specific names, and are all similar in style to this one. But this one is only called ā€œsongsā€.ā€

IMG_7541.jpeg

Aloha, Guys!

Jean

I could hear Sarah Brightman singing in the background while you were playing. Bravo!

Reactions: TBB
Another Gaspar Sanz piece. This has long been a favorite of mine. I have not seen a ukulele arrangement of this one. I suppose ā€œwork in progressā€ has never applied more accurately! But, I am motivated to keep working on all three of these Sanz pieces that I arranged this week. Or, at least I completed the arrangements this week. šŸ™‚

Aloha, Guys!

Jean

Gorgeous! What a beautiful piece, along with a wonderful performance! I love the way you separated the voices. I enjoyed this so much!

Another Gaspar Sanz piece. This has long been a favorite of mine. I have not seen a ukulele arrangement of this one. I suppose ā€œwork in progressā€ has never applied more accurately! But, I am motivated to keep working on all three of these Sanz pieces that I arranged this week. Or, at least I completed the arrangements this week. šŸ™‚

That was lovely! I'd like to try this with the L'uke, the octave g course might be really interesting - different, because not campanella, but interesting!

To gain a true appreciation of how well you scored and played this, one should listen to a few other recordings of Clarines y Trompetas. I did. Your work here is excellent.

To gain a true appreciation of how well you scored and played this, one should listen to a few other recordings of Clarines y Trompetas. I did. Your work here is excellent.
Thanks, you are very kind! Iā€™m looking forward to growing in my performance of this piece. And hopefully I can begin to work on the Canarios soon. I really appreciate your encouragement!

Top Bottom