Impressions of Ordering a Custom Ukulele

I'm curious about this as well.
Pops does use unibrace in the Wows. The widths are the same on the nut and string spacing as the KoAloha. The structural build for the Wow is like the KoAloha. `You won't find the cosmetic elements like the musubi soundhole

Last edited:
@gustophersmob and @pmorey: The Wow includes many of the design innovations of KoAloha including the rectangular unibrace. I'm sure that is part of the reason the Wow sound strikes me as an evolution of the KoAloha sound. However, the Wow is different in both subtle and not so subtle ways. The difference in materials has allowed Pops to explore areas of the design space that would not work as well in the traditional KoAloha koa designs. Small dimensional changes in the body, brace placement, bridge placement and all sorts of things I can't even imagine are what makes the luthier's art an art. For instance, my soprano is dimensionally quite similar to a KoAloha soprano, but Pops had to make an all new jig for it because he needed more precision in order to put a very slight curve in the back of body. I put these things in the category of tuning the sound of the instrument. This is more than setup or quality control and adjustment that is done with better production instruments to ensure a consistent sound. I think Pops is searching for the best possible sound from each instrument he builds, and this is what I was calling tuning.

I've been on the road for a few days and neglecting UU a bit.

Last Friday I heard form Pops through Ed that he was dissatisfied with the first three prototype concert Wows, and he had decided he wants a new approach which requires new higher precsision Plexiglass molds. This also means using a totally different process to bending the sides. Pops was concerned about how this was going to set back the schedule, but I assured him that I was in no hurry, and I have great faith in his ears, his hands, his creativity, and his persistence. The last thing I want to do is put any additional pressure on him. He is a perfectionist and I can imagine how frustrating it must be to put so much time into the first three builds, and then have to rework the molds. However, I completely understand that sometimes it is better to go back a step or two to ensure smoother sailing in the future. It is also the nature of exploring a completely new design.

By yesterday, I was pleased to hear that Pops had built 4 acrylic Concert WoW molds over the weekend and that he was now testing them out. I am always surprised by how quickly he progresses when faced with a new problem. That is persistence! I also realized that he needs a process that is reproducible, one that he can count on. Cleary this is not a one off--he made four molds so he could have multiple Concert Wows in production.

As a KoAloha fan, I am enjoying your thread very much!

I am curious, is Pops talking about new body inserts for the mold like what is shown your picture with the binding or in this pic, or is he moving away from that molding method?
4B19E44E-19A6-4E8E-B714-18067C6DA146.jpeg

As a KoAloha fan, I am enjoying your thread very much!

I am curious, is Pops talking about new body inserts for the mold like what is shown your picture with the binding or in this pic, or is he moving away from that molding method?
I don’t know. I am using the terminology that Pops uses, but I don’t really have any idea what the implications are with phrases like new jig, new mold, new process for shaping the sides. I did get the impression that there were forms (my generic term) that were wooden or had wooden parts that he wanted to redo in plexiglass because it allowed him to shape the ukulele part(s) to more precise dimensional tolerances.

Last night I got an email from Ed with news and pictures from Pops. I am rather stunned by the amount of progress he has made in just a few days. I guess the new acrylic forms he made over the weekend worked out well. I knew he was more optimistic at the end of the weekend, but I had no idea he could go from the prototyping issues to the first real instrument in just a couple days. Now that I have more insight into the time and precision required to do the Koa/Ebony triple banding, I am amazed at how beautiful it looks. The beautiful banding and its relation to top and bottom of the instrument speaks to the higher degree of dimensional precision Pops is getting with the new forms and process for the sides. I am exhausted just thinking about the effort Pops has put into this instrument.

PopsConcertFront252580.jpg
PopsConcertSide252580.jpg

It really does look like a big brother to my soprano. It has 13 frets to the body with a total of 17 frets. It still needs final finishing, sanding, and a visit to the spray booth, but the transformation from the early prototypes to this is amazing. When I looked at the next picture, I was kind of choked up as I tried to call my wife over to look at it.
PopsConcertLabel252580.jpg
I know it is a bit self-serving, but the label with my name on the first Concert Wow held in Pop's hand was and is very moving to me. I am thrilled to have played a very small part in one of Pops's many significant contributions to ukulele culture and history.

For you Pops aficionados, one thing I've been curious about is the use of pine for the back and sides. I have no doubt about the tonal qualities, as judged by Pop's meticulousness and listening to sound samples. But i wonder about pine being a softer wood than those usually used for backs and sides.

The most common back and side woods are all considered hard woods, I believe. Mahogany, koa, rosewood, sapele, maple, walnut, oak, etc. Unless I'm mistaken, or there is a subspecies difference, pine is much softer. I wonder if there are any concerns about how well they will hold up over time. I doubt they'd crack so much as deform their shape.

I'm sure its not an issue and that Pops likely considered it when he developed these, but I've been curious about it since learning about his preference for that wood.

Last edited:
For you Pops aficionados, one thing I've been curious about is the use of pine for the back and sides. I have no doubt about the tonal qualities, as judged by Pop's meticulousness and listening to sound samples. But i wonder about pine being a softer wood than those usually used for backs and sides.

The most common back and side woods are all considered hard woods, I believe. Mahogany, koa, rosewood, sapele, maple, walnut, oak, etc. Unless I'm mistaken, or there is a subspecies difference, pine is much softer. I wonder if there are any concerns about how well they will hold up over time. I doubt they'd crack so much as deform their shape.

I'm sure its not an issue and that Pops likely considered it when he developed these, but I've been curious about it since learning about his preference for that wood.

@efiscella knows the history better than I do, but my understanding is that the original motivation was to see if Pops could create a good sound from a ukulele made of a less endangered and precious woods than Koa. It was kind of a "great ukulele for the masses" inspiration. I have no idea about durability or stability of the instruments compared with Koa instruments.

@efiscella knows the history better than I do, but my understanding is that the original motivation was to see if Pops could create a good sound from a ukulele made of a less endangered and precious woods than Koa. It was kind of a "great ukulele for the masses" inspiration. I have no idea about durability or stability of the instruments compared with Koa instruments.
In 2013, Pops was working on a new ukulele called the AO, a Hawaiian word for "new beginnings" and also his initials for Alvin Okami. He wanted to make an ukulele that was spectacular but more affordable. He chose pine because it was affordable. He did not yet know about the sound qualities and I suppose that time will tell on the woods holding up, however, the Wow's that I received in 2016 are still in excellent condition and just as good as when new. In 2015, Pops wanted to send 9 Wows to the high school age show choir that I work with. He had given all of the kids KoAlana's as a gift but upon reflection, he wanted them to have 'the best." He wrote to me this story in Feb 2016:

Ed, I'm glad you asked about the Wow because it gives me the opportunity to share with someone another unbelievable story. Make yourself comfortable because here it comes.

A couple of months ago while working on a batch of AO ukulele, I happened to notice a standard-shaped figure-eight ukulele lying beside my desk. It happened to be a sample that I had put together with pine back and sides and Engleman Spruce top to test and see if the sound was acceptable for a more affordable ukulele. At that time when I strung it up, I was sort of in a hurry and didn't give the strings the time to stretch and stabilize but judging from the sound that was coming out, it lacked the wow factor I was expecting so I placed on the side and forgot about it. Two or three weeks later, I happened to notice it laying at the side of my desk and decided to tune it up. I really wasn't expecting the ukulele to sound any different other than when I first strung it up a few weeks ago. Boy, did I have
a wonderful surprise in store that blew me away. From the moment I started to tune up the G string, I immediately noticed that this didn't seem like the same ukulele that I had strung up weeks ago. I proceeded to tune all the strings and they all sang out loud and clear with so much volume, clarity, tone and sustain that I could hardly believe my ears. Up until this discovery, my all-time favorite ukulele was the AO model. I sincerely thought that no other ukulele would ever be able to match it in every aspect. I was wrong!!! This newly discovered Wow model has supplanted the AO model and it is without question the latest to have captured heart and musical ears. This is the ukulele that I will be sending your "gang" so that they can sound incredible on stage or anywhere else that they perform. By myself, I can strum it so loud that a microphone or pickup is unnecessary. Can you imagine if nine of your kids are strumming with all their hearts,
I know that they will definitely be heard even without any amplification. Now you can see why I'm
Super excited because they will be playing the very best and latest edition of the most phenomenal-sounding ukulele I have ever come across. This ukulele will truly give its all and will be a perfect match for your group who I know gives their all at each performance.

I have diligently compared it with the original AO and it makes the AO a distant second. At this point in time, I know that it may be hard to imagine how wonderful this ukulele is just by my animated description but you will get to experience exactly what I have related when you get to hold, strum, pick and pluck the awesome Wow for yourself.

Attachments

• IMG_4775.JPG
    IMG_4775.JPG
    920.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4770.JPG
    IMG_4770.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4769.JPG
    IMG_4769.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
In 2013, Pops was working on a new ukulele called the AO, a Hawaiian word for "new beginnings" and also his initials for Alvin Okami. He wanted to make an ukulele that was spectacular but more affordable. He chose pine because it was affordable. He did not yet know about the sound qualities and I suppose that time will tell on the woods holding up, however, the Wow's that I received in 2016 are still in excellent condition and just as good as when new. In 2015, Pops wanted to send 9 Wows to the high school age show choir that I work with. He had given all of the kids KoAlana's as a gift but upon reflection, he wanted them to have 'the best." He wrote to me this story in Feb 2016:

Ed, I'm glad you asked about the Wow because it gives me the opportunity to share with someone another unbelievable story. Make yourself comfortable because here it comes.

A couple of months ago while working on a batch of AO ukulele, I happened to notice a standard-shaped figure-eight ukulele lying beside my desk. It happened to be a sample that I had put together with pine back and sides and Engleman Spruce top to test and see if the sound was acceptable for a more affordable ukulele. At that time when I strung it up, I was sort of in a hurry and didn't give the strings the time to stretch and stabilize but judging from the sound that was coming out, it lacked the wow factor I was expecting so I placed on the side and forgot about it. Two or three weeks later, I happened to notice it laying at the side of my desk and decided to tune it up. I really wasn't expecting the ukulele to sound any different other than when I first strung it up a few weeks ago. Boy, did I have
a wonderful surprise in store that blew me away. From the moment I started to tune up the G string, I immediately noticed that this didn't seem like the same ukulele that I had strung up weeks ago. I proceeded to tune all the strings and they all sang out loud and clear with so much volume, clarity, tone and sustain that I could hardly believe my ears. Up until this discovery, my all-time favorite ukulele was the AO model. I sincerely thought that no other ukulele would ever be able to match it in every aspect. I was wrong!!! This newly discovered Wow model has supplanted the AO model and it is without question the latest to have captured heart and musical ears. This is the ukulele that I will be sending your "gang" so that they can sound incredible on stage or anywhere else that they perform. By myself, I can strum it so loud that a microphone or pickup is unnecessary. Can you imagine if nine of your kids are strumming with all their hearts,
I know that they will definitely be heard even without any amplification. Now you can see why I'm
Super excited because they will be playing the very best and latest edition of the most phenomenal-sounding ukulele I have ever come across. This ukulele will truly give its all and will be a perfect match for your group who I know gives their all at each performance.

I have diligently compared it with the original AO and it makes the AO a distant second. At this point in time, I know that it may be hard to imagine how wonderful this ukulele is just by my animated description but you will get to experience exactly what I have related when you get to hold, strum, pick and pluck the awesome Wow for yourself.
To backtrack a bit-- Here is what Pops said about working with PIne for the original tear drop AO, later to become the Wow. At the time of the first Wow's, we were selling them for $360 but people wanted more in adornment. As time went by, the price of materials increased but it is still a tremendous value for a handmade ukulele by Pops:

Ed, Allow me to continue with a story that has unfolded for almost a year now. For quite a while, I was bothered by something that I saw happening rather frequently inside the showroom when visitors and/or customers came to visit. As I worked in the shop I couldn't help but notice that families with their children would be interested in purchasing a KoAloha but were soon discouraged when their eyes glanced at the price tag. They would then remark that they just came for the free tour that we have available. After witnessing this same scenario over 15 years, I decided to make a valiant attempt to do something to rectify this situation. I wanted everyone to be able to afford to purchase a high quality ukulele at a more than reasonable price. I knew that it would be impossible to do this feat under the KoAloha umbrella so I decided to start another ukulele company. I embarked on heavy research for awhile and decided to use a wood that was very economical and readily available at hardware stores. The wood chosen was select pine and the prototyping began. Instead of experimenting with one ukulele at a time, I decided to make a batch of 8 standard size ukulele. After the assembly was completed, I then started to string them up. From the moment I started to tighten the strings up to their respective pitches, I noticed something very different from that which I was accustomed to hearing. The clarity and purity of tone was simply immaculate. I thought it was just my imagination until I strung up the entire batch of 8 ukulele. To my absolute astonishment, they all sounded and performed exquisitely. In a short while, it wasn't hard to come to the realization that I had discovered a revolutionary sounding and playing ukulele. I had the most difficult time choosing one for myself but one day, one of the ukulele sounded especially sweet and it became a part of me. In my twenty years of crafting over 10-15 thousand ukulele by myself, this newest ukulele is without a doubt the best that my two hands have created. I consider this ukulele my Stradivarius. This standard size ukulele is acoustically perfect in every respect and to top it off, is also way below other standard size ukulele in affordability. The last feature is also a winner in that it is made in Hawaii by this "old" ukulele maker Pops KoAloha. I'm sure you're well aware that Hawaiian made ukulele (no matter what size) is very expensive because of the koa wood that is used and the high labor cost. So to sum it up, I am so happy and fulfilled that this awesome ukulele has chosen yours truly to be its maker and I am totally consumed at trying my best to inform everyone that there is an affordable yet awesome high quality ukulele that's available and made in Hawaii by KoAloha Ukulele's founder Pops KoAloha.

Gustophersmob, I have posted above what I know from Pops in his own words. My personal response to your question would be that when one is purchasing a Wow ukulele, they are usually looking for three things that are important to them: 1. an ukulele noted for its excellence in tone, clarity, volume, ease of play, sustain, and resonance, 2. An ukulele handmade by Pops, himself, and 3. Affordability.

This is what the Wow provides. Pops will certainly make an ukulele with Koa, Mango, maple or any other tonewood and it can be decked out to the hilt. I think time will tell how well the softer pine holds up, but the original idea was to use a less expensive and easier to obtain wood to make a truly affordable ukulele. The original Wows were all of that and truly affordable but as time went on, customers wanted GOTOH tuners, edge binding, abalone inlay, ebony fretboards and bridges, curved backs, edging around the soundhole, side sound ports, the five-point crown headstock, etc. All of these items have kicked up the time and price of the simple Wow, however, through all of it, the new Wows sound just as great as the original, less adorned Wows.

After spending a month with Pops in the shop this past February, I learned that whether an uke is made with Koa or Pine, the amount of time, patience, focus, and skill that the luthier/artist puts in is the same. The wood used changes the tone or looks, but the idea of Pine being less expensive is now shown to be relatively minor. The amount of work, effort, and skill that goes into a pine vs a koa ukulele is the same, but your question as to the longevity of the wood is an excellent question, and only time will tell. Pops did change from a pine neck to a sapele neck to give more structure. The softer body will be more susceptible to dings if the uke is treated roughly, but still, I feel that most who purchase the Wow do so for the sound and not the looks.

One quick story. My dad had Parkinson's Disease and as part of his therapy, I taught him to play the ukulele. I gave him a Wow to play. One day, he raised his electric reclining seat and he did not know that the uke was under it and the top face of the uke was crushed and cracked. What surprised me the most was that we now had a Wow that looked like it belonged to Willie Nelson, but still put out the same amazing sound. :)

Funny how tastes differ. I generally prefer simpler instruments
agreed... weren't those that wanted more adornment kinda defeating the original purpose of the wows a bit?
my question would be, with all these upgrades to the wows, how close are they now to koalohas and opios?

my question would be, with all these upgrades to the wows, how close are they now to koalohas and opios?
In my opinion, I think there is more similarity than not. I love KoAloha and I love Ukesa because it builds on what was started at Koaloha. With Opios, you have the same structure of a Koaloha only made in Thailand with less expenses. With Koaloha you have a fabulous production Hawaiian ukulele. With Ukesa, you have customization options and design elements that you don't get on the others, and yet wth the same structural principles. The biggest difference is that the Ukesa is handmade by Pops. You cannot get a new Koaloha made by Pops today. You can only get a new Pops ukulele through Ukesa. We were talking at the Koaloha factory about whether Ukesa competes with KoAloha and I said that almost everyone who purchases from Ukesa already owns one or more KoAlohas. What they want is an instrument handmade by Pops and you can no longer get that at KoAloha. it is not better or worse- just different-- and yet the same. No different than Opio vs KoAloha. Different- and yet the same.

As I had hoped, @efiscella has been able to document the history and motivation for the Wow instruments in detail. I was not aware of most of this detail, just the very broad outline.

I guess in many ways I am the typical buyer that Ed described. I learned about Pops Okami because I loved my KoAloha tenor and wanted to learn more about the company. BTW, my tenor is the base model KTM-00 Koa tenor, with no decoration to speak of, and that is generally my preference. The price of the Soprano Wow was less than a new KoAloha soprano, but that was not a deciding factor for me. Customization was not a major factor either, I had no specific requirements in mind that a KoAloha soprano wouldn't have met, though I did like the idea of a side port.

The most important factor for me was that I wanted an instrument hand made by Pops. There were two aspects that attracted me to a hand made Pops instrument. The first was Pops's enthusiasm to explore new possibilities, and his belief that he had stumbled upon something quite amazing when he started working in woods other than Koa. The second aspect, though it may sound corny, is that I already think of my instruments as heirlooms. At this point in his career, after his KoAloha production days, what Pops is producing is historically important and for me a personal connection to ukulele history and culture that I cherish.

agreed... weren't those that wanted more adornment kinda defeating the original purpose of the wows a bit?
I think the purpose of the Wows has evolved or at least UKESA has evolved. I think it started with seeing what he could do with less precious wood, and exploring that led him to a new design and a new sound. The only comparison I have made is playing my Wow soprano and then a KoAloha Koa soprano. The feel and playability are almost identical except that the Wow is very noticably lighter in weight. The sound is rather different though it is a KoAloha sound. The Wow is louder with more sustain, and I would also say more articulate. I didn't play them side by side for very long, but my memory is that the KoAloha sounded a bit more traditional. In the past I have described the difference between the Kamaka sound and the KoAloha sound in terms of the Kamaka sounding more traditional and the KoAloha sounding tonally a bit more guitar-like with advantages in volume and sustain. The Kamaka tonal quality is complex and shimmering, while the KoAloha is more bell-like and pure. The Wow just extends that further in my opinion. A more interesting comparison would be a KoAloha soprano with a spruce top (if such a thing exists).

Top Bottom