Ukulele - General Considerations

axolotl

Reaction score
Hey all.

A friend is going to Hawaii in a couple weeks and is considering picking up a Ukulele while he's over there. I wrote up a quick overview of considerations when choosing an instrument. He's looking a high mid to low upper level instruments so it's a little biased towards that group of instruments.

Full of my personal opinion and likely not without a few mistakes. Feel free to tell me where I'm wrong or not exactly right. Just posting it here in case it might also help someone else. I'm not claiming to be an absolute authority. I'm new to Ukulele but have been playing guitar for decades.

Hope it helps someone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't spend too much time talking about tonal differences - check out these channels for some good demos

Hawaii Music Supply - YouTube

Southern Ukulele Store

Size: Soprano (Tiny), Concert (Small), Tenor (Perfect Size?), Baritone (Not Huge but largest)

Look at Tenor. They’re a good size - way smaller than guitar but way bigger than a Soprano. Concert are popular as well and not ridiculously small. In the last several years Tenor has overtaken concert in terms of instruments sold.

Tenor are still voiced high relative to a guitar but they have a fair amount of midrange - especially with a Low G string.

Tuning / Low G-High G

Baritone is tuned like the 4 highest strings on a guitar - DGBE. All others tuned the same - GCEA.

Traditionally those GCEA instruments are in “re-entrant” tuning with the G string higher than C but can also be converted to a low G so it’s more like a guitar (Low, Higher, Higher, Higher vs High, Lower, Higher, Higher). Usually you just need a different G string (you can get Low G sets of strings or buy that individually. Some strings are a little too big for the existing smaller diameter high G nut slot and will require a little bit of filing to fit (which is a one time thing a shop can do for you) - other strings might fit right out of the gate (usually a wound metal string vs nylon/fluorocarbon). Basically it’s easy and you can generally go back and forth - specifically if you use a wound Low G.

Strings: Nylon/Nylgut vs Fluorocarbon

Different strings have different tactile and tonal properties. Generally Nylon are larger in diameter than Fluorocarbon. Fluorocarbon are brighter and more “modern” sounding. You’ll also see colored strings - Black, Brown, Grey - and those are generally considered to be more mellow than the white/clear versions. There are some differences in stretch and tension as well. This is a preference thing and you might choose strings to accentuate or moderate properties of an instrument. Don’t think too much about this - just be aware it exists.

Satin vs Gloss Finish

Do you like shiny or matte? Gloss finish can accentuate wood grain patterns and can look a little fancy. You may like that or not. Some people say a thin matte finish is more resonant. I would definitely get a Satin finish neck - your hand can stick to a gloss finish if it's sweaty. Gloss finish offers a little more protection than Satin/Matte.

Laminate vs Solid Wood

Laminate construction is cheaper, more Durable, and less prone to cracking from low humidity. 40% humidity is the minimum level a solid wood instrument is happy with. You can get room humidifiers and case humidifies to help with that. Florida will always be comfortably above that. High elevations in the American West in Winter? Maybe get a humidifier. Solid Wood generally has a more complex tonal palette and will be physically more resonant - you’ll feel it vibrate against your body. Mid to High end instruments are nearly always solid wood. Some lower mid range offerings might have Solid Top and Laminate Back and Sides. The ukulele top is where the majority of the sound and that sounds timbre will comes from.

Wood: Koa, Acacia, Mango, Mahogany, Spruce

Typical Solid woods you’ll see. Koa is the original and traditional wood - it's also generally most expensive. Acacia is a species of Koa but usually sourced outside Hawaii. Mango has a really interesting grain pattern that you’ll either love or hate. All 3 of those types of wood generally have a lot of high frequency content. Mahogany is a darker wood and generally considered to produce warmer tones. Spruce is a light colored wood generally without a pronounced grain pattern. Tonally it has a lot of clarity and high frequency content. It’ll make your ukulele look like a mini guitar. I’m going to say the best instrument for the $ is going to be Mahogany or Spruce. Koa, Acacia and - to a lesser degree - Mango are going to be pricier options. Personal preference - aesthetics and tonality (remember strings can be used to accentuate/moderate)

Shape: Pineapple vs Guitar

Pineapple has a unique look. Generally regarded as a little louder and fuller. Romero Creations have sort of a hybrid pineapple shape that sorta feels like the ukulele equivalent of a Gibson Flying V or Explorer to me - they’re kinda cool but also kinda niche. Some people say they're a little harder to hold.

unsure what a high mid to a low upper instrument is. So does that mean $500 to $1000?

My recommendation is to go to a good ukulele store (starting with The Ukulele Site) and plan on spending a few hours there, outlining the parameters of the purchase. They can put the ukulele in his hands and see which scale size and sound might suit him best. Another thing they are really good at is playing the different ones so that he can hear the sound difference from a good player. Full setup and he can consider having them ship it to him so that he does not have to take it on as extra baggage.

I see you've classed Soprano as 'Tiny'... it could be said that it is 'Standard' as I'm under the impression that it was the original and (formerly?) most common size, there are also 2 smaller and 2 larger sizes...Ukulele Size Guide.jpg

Last edited:
Off the top of his head he said he’s comfortable around $800.

He’ll be in Honolulu - not positive exactly where. Yep, Ukulele Site is on his list.

Great advice re: getting something in hand and having a staff member help him demo. My goal was to give him a little background so he doesn’t walk into it completely blind.

Hadn’t considered shipping it home - great tip.

unsure what a high mid to a low upper instrument is. So does that mean $500 to $1000?

My recommendation is to go to a good ukulele store (starting with The Ukulele Site) and plan on spending a few hours there, outlining the parameters of the purchase. They can put the ukulele in his hands and see which scale size and sound might suit him best. Another thing they are really good at is playing the different ones so that he can hear the sound difference from a good player. Full setup and he can consider having them ship it to him so that he does not have to take it on as extra baggage.

Thanks for the clarification, Paul!

As a guitarist transitioning to ukulele, Tenor was the size that felt most natural. Getting used to Concert. Soprano still feels very cramped to me. I didn’t want to muddy things mentioning long neck sopranos etc.

I see you've classed Soprano as 'Tiny'... it could be said that it is 'Standard' as I'm under the impression that it was the original and (formerly?) most common size, there are also 2 smaller sizes...View attachment 143045

Contrabasses exist?!

This is a good basic outline. So much of the choice of size, woods, strings, etc is personal. It may also change over time. At one time I played tenor but over the years I found that I greatly preferred soprano.

I think as long as your friend does not get overwhelmed, going into the shop and having a number of instruments in hand is really the best way. The size, feel and sound of one of them will click. Sounds like a fun adventure!

$800 prob won't get him a Hawaiian made uke FYI. There are several good shops in Waikiki worth checking out (Best Hawaiian ukulele, Ukulele store, Ukulele puapua, Ukelab). Some music shops as well a little further out in HNL. Could also visit/tour Kamaka and/or Koaloha (the latter sells factory specials/minor blems out of the shop).

This is a good basic outline. So much of the choice of size, woods, strings, etc is personal. It may also change over time. At one time I played tenor but over the years I found that I greatly preferred soprano.

I think as long as your friend does not get overwhelmed, going into the shop and having a number of instruments in hand is really the best way. The size, feel and sound of one of them will click. Sounds like a fun adventure!
Hopefully he'll play a bunch, and one will speak to him, in a big way!

Thanks for the list of outlets. I need to compile that for him next.

His budget may be flexible - I just asked for an initial target so I wasn’t talking 1200 when he was thinking 200. At the moment I’ve got some Hawaiian Designed, Asian manufactured instruments for him to start thinking about - Pono, Opio, Islander, etc. The factories sound like a good angle.

$800 prob won't get him a Hawaiian made uke FYI. There are several good shops in Waikiki worth checking out (Best Hawaiian ukulele, Ukulele store, Ukulele puapua, Ukelab). Some music shops as well a little further out in HNL. Could also visit/tour Kamaka and/or Koaloha (the latter sells factory specials/minor blems out of the shop).

Seeing, touching, hearing in person is always the best. I’ve sold myself on guitars based on videos, internet demos and photos only to instantly reject them when grabbing the neck.

What is it you like about the Soprano? Feel, sound, ability is stretch across frets? Was it an evolution? Tenor felt really small to me coming from guitar - after a few weeks it wasn’t so bad. I could see changing perspective over time.

Seeing, touching, hearing in person is always the best. I’ve sold myself on guitars based on videos, internet demos and photos only to instantly reject them when grabbing the neck.

What is it you like about the Soprano? Feel, sound, ability is stretch across frets? Was it an evolution? Tenor felt really small to me coming from guitar - after a few weeks it wasn’t so bad. I could see changing perspective over time.
The feel is just fine and is comfortable for me. The real appeal for me is the sound. It has a really unique distinct quality. The larger sizes sound a bit more guitar like. To me, nothing else sounds like a good soprano.

Is there a reason that you are buying the ukulele in Hawaii? Do you want an ukulele that is made in Hawaii or at least made by a Hawaii-owned company? A few years ago, there were real made-in-Hawaii ukuleles selling for under $800, but I think those all disappeared during the pandemic. Today, the best you could do is probably an ukulele designed by a Hawaii company and made in a closely supervised factory in Asia. Brands like Opio and Pono are vey good for the price (around $400 to $800). Hawaii-inspired brands like Leolani and Kumu have some fans among people looking for cheaper price levels.

Regarding size, the soprano is still considered the standard size in Hawaii and that size has a lot of fans, especially among people who like hula music.

I would agree a tenor - especially w a low g sounds a bit like a small guitar. You’re right, Soprano is something else. Thanks for sharing your perspective on it.
The feel is just fine and is comfortable for me. The real appeal for me is the sound. It has a really unique distinct quality. The larger sizes sound a bit more guitar like. To me, nothing else sounds like a good soprano.

It’s a friend who will be buying. He’s going to be over in Hawaii anyway and has been considering a ukulele prior to the trip, it would also be a reminder of the trip. I’ve pointed out the Opios, Ponos and Islanders to him. He’ll have to decide if he wants to bump the budget up for a made in Hawaii model once he gets a few in hand.

Is there a reason that you are buying the ukulele in Hawaii? Do you want an ukulele that is made in Hawaii or at least made by a Hawaii-owned company? A few years ago, there were real made-in-Hawaii ukuleles selling for under $800, but I think those all disappeared during the pandemic. Today, the best you could do is probably an ukulele designed by a Hawaii company and made in a closely supervised factory in Asia. Brands like Opio and Pono are vey good for the price (around $400 to $800). Hawaii-inspired brands like Leolani and Kumu have some fans among people looking for cheaper price levels.

Regarding size, the soprano is still considered the standard size in Hawaii and that size has a lot of fans, especially among people who like hula music.

I agree with EDW. I was mainly playing tenors and concerts and all that changed when I got the chance to try some nice sopranos. Now I hardly touch my concerts and tenors.

Does this friend currently play anything? I'd say just grab a few and see what feels right, come back the next day (or later) and do it again (and maybe again) then buy the one he likes best...but also keeping in mind that others are doing the same thing and one he is set on could get bought if he waits too long. HNL shops have a good selection but are not huge.

Looks great, @axolotl !
Your friend is fortunate to have your guidance.
If he can relax and enjoy the adventure -- even keeping in mind that ukuleles might sell out from under him depending on timing, process, etc. -- he'll have the opportunity to determine what suits him in a way few of us do: in person!

As long as he's working with reputable (and with the dealers/makers already cited, stellar) sellers and the expertise they can bring to bear, it'll just come down to what feels, looks, and sounds right to him, in whatever combination or priority is most important to him.

[If I love how something feels and/or sounds but dislike how it looks? Nix. If I super-love how instrument A ticks those boxes, and next-level love how instrument B does the same, and one is significantly more than the other? I then have to do math/assign value/make a choice that no one else can on my behalf. Having someone else describe and explain and even play the examples in front of me? Something I've never had the chance at....]

From young unto now, I've learned about specific solid woods only after choosing an instrument, not as the basis of choosing one.
[The parakeet in me squawks first and loudest: Ooooh! Pretty!* And I take it from there. 😄]

*"Pretty" to my eyes is typically on the just-enough-is-more end of the scale, in the wood grain orientation and extra appointments, etc., but to someone else it could be Bring the Bling!

I hope this is fun, for both of you.

~ S.

Top Bottom