Song Help Request Is two finger picking (like a bass) bad technique?

I had originally only learned songs with claw hammer and thumb/index. Never the two finger bass-style alternating picking. When I asked a friend he mentioned it was bad technique. I think some methods can actually lead to bad technique, such as compensating for not using pinky. But in this case I will continue with the alternating picking.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments ☺️

i'm not sure about what is 'acceptable' or not as judged by others.
i have my own way that i play and it works for me.
i took no lessons and taught myself and i enjoy to play the songs i cover and write.
i honestly don't believe there is a right or wrong technique -
on any instrument, frankly.
you play how it feels comfortable for you and you adapt that style to
whatever song/genre of music you're tackling.
that's what i've been doing my whole life.
and what Jim said is so true. play to your ears and your own feel. :)
/\ This. /\

A newbee banjo player once approached another older , more experienced banjo player and said,
"is it okay if I play the banjo in this way" (demonstrating his chops) .
The other banjer player said,
"Kid, its your banjo, play it anyway you damned well like".

I had originally only learned songs with claw hammer and thumb/index. Never the two finger bass-style alternating picking. When I asked a friend he mentioned it was bad technique. I think some methods can actually lead to bad technique, such as compensating for not using pinky. But in this case I will continue with the alternating picking.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments ☺️
It can never hurt to learn a couple of different picking techniques, yet this doesn't mean that the one you currently have is a "bad" technique.

Top Bottom