Greetings from West Virginia...

Welcome, StringBandUke. I went to college in Salem, back when they had Fort New Salem and the Festival. I "learned" to play 5-string banjo back then - I've been told I play "drop thumb frailing", whatever that means - the folk I learned it from back in the hollers in Harrison county just played music - I don't think a one had any musical training, but no one cared - it was just fun to make music.

I've been gone nearly 45 years now, but I remember it fondly.

As well as becoming a volunteer firefighter and EMT, which led to being a career firefighter here in upstate NY, and being a Reserve Police Officer in Salem, which led me to NOT wanting to be in Law Enforcement.

-Kurt​

Welcome, StringBandUke. I went to college in Salem, back when they had Fort New Salem and the Festival. I "learned" to play 5-string banjo back then - I've been told I play "drop thumb frailing", whatever that means - the folk I learned it from back in the hollers in Harrison county just played music - I don't think a one had any musical training, but no one cared - it was just fun to make music.

I've been gone nearly 45 years now, but I remember it fondly.

As well as becoming a volunteer firefighter and EMT, which led to being a career firefighter here in upstate NY, and being a Reserve Police Officer in Salem, which led me to NOT wanting to be in Law Enforcement.

-Kurt​
No doubt, Kurt. Just like Pennsboro and West Union PD's...you guys were "out there". And Salem was a bit livelier in those days, I'm sure.

Welcome to UU, StringBandUke! As you can see from my handle, we share very similar musical backgrounds. I live about an hour north of Atlanta. I’m sloppy with English but fluent in Southern Appalachian. My Chemical Engineer son plays bluegrass fiddle, mandolin and guitar. His 29th birthday is day after tomorrow.

As the old joke goes, the difference between a fiddle and a violin is that a violin has a case. A fiddle has a nail and a bootlace.
Cheers!

Welcome to UU, StringBandUke! As you can see from my handle, we share very similar musical backgrounds. I live about an hour north of Atlanta. I’m sloppy with English but fluent in Southern Appalachian. My Chemical Engineer son plays bluegrass fiddle, mandolin and guitar. His 29th birthday is day after tomorrow.

As the old joke goes, the difference between a fiddle and a violin is that a violin has a case. A fiddle has a nail and a bootlace.
Cheers!
Thanks Oldscruggsfan! I understand the dialect thing. We left WV and moved to Columbus for 6 years during The Great Hillbilly Migration (ah, good old Rt. 33). We left the Mountain State but it never left us. Happy Birthday to your son!

Top Bottom