Dulcimer anyone?

I received the Ron Gibson dulcimer 2 days before I went to my first dulcimer festival a couple of weeks ago😀 I took a dulcimer workshop and another with the ukulele. It was the first time I ever played instruments with other people and in public - fun time! It was pretty much the first public outing for me since Covid hit as I care for my 91 yo mom and have to be careful where I go. I am really enjoying learning to play the mountain dulcimer, it has such a unique sound.

Ron Gibson all cherry and the strap I wove for it.

View attachment 141330
It's a beauty! I'm so happy for you! I saw your post on FOTMD too. I'm "Susie" over on that forum, btw.

Thanks for the kind words😀. I really enjoy weaving bands but selling is not my thing. I like to weave what I want, when I want, not turn it into a have to do now.
I hear ya. I'm like that, too, with my craftitude. I'll knit projects for friends if it's a project that I want to knit. I'd hate to have to do something repetitive or to order if it wasn't what I wanted to make.

Got my first dulcimer last Saturday and am having fun learning to play Amazing Grace. First decision point for me is whether to go with DAD or DAA tuning.
Which did you decide? I'm thinking about trying dulcimer, and assumed DAA was the way to go, but then saw YouTubes of people using DAD, and realize I would no idea how to even tune a dulcimer, let alone play one. But it sure looks like fun.

got out my dulcimer, which has been sitting behind the couch for a few years and realised that practice is necessary to keep your chops up. I use DAA tuning since Jean Ritchie said, in an old sixties Sing Out! magazine that's how it was tuned. I realise she used different tunings for different modes and DAD seems to have become more popular since the 6+ fret has become normal.
Here's a sloppy bit of Little Moses. It suffers next to [B]Ondrej[/B]'s lovely playing.

Maybe I'll put it back behind the couch.

Last edited:
Which did you decide? I'm thinking about trying dulcimer, and assumed DAA was the way to go, but then saw YouTubes of people using DAD, and realize I would no idea how to even tune a dulcimer, let alone play one. But it sure looks like fun.
DAD for now but seriously considering DAA because all I'm doing for now as a rank beginner is strumming melody without any chording.

I have never had a dulcimer but have watched others play them (like what Jim did) and always thought they looked fun.
In the past 6 months I have gotten obsessed a bit with cigar box instruments thanks to a UU thread (I need to find it and thank the UU'er). I used pre-made necks on both ukes I made because I was very intimidated about putting on frets. I thought, here's my chance to make a dulcimer-ish instrument and learn how to cut fret slots and put frets on. I sense cigar box guitars could be a gateway drug to luthiery. I'm not an experienced woodworker at all -- I just fixed stuff. I have learned a ton through this. I also made one with a minor pentatonic scale (the black one). So...you could make something Dulcimer-ish like this for $50 or less.
IMG_1261.jpgIMG_1263.jpg

I have never had a dulcimer but have watched others play them (like what Jim did) and always thought they looked fun.
In the past 6 months I have gotten obsessed a bit with cigar box instruments thanks to a UU thread (I need to find it and thank the UU'er). I used pre-made necks on both ukes I made because I was very intimidated about putting on frets. I thought, here's my chance to make a dulcimer-ish instrument and learn how to cut fret slots and put frets on. I sense cigar box guitars could be a gateway drug to luthiery. I'm not an experienced woodworker at all -- I just fixed stuff. I have learned a ton through this. I also made one with a minor pentatonic scale (the black one). So...you could make something Dulcimer-ish like this for $50 or less.
View attachment 144176View attachment 144177
So nifty!!

So true, a dulcimer playing friend has already mentioned how nice it is to have two, one tuned DAD and the other DAA. And so it begins. Must resist, must resist, must resist.
I was thinking that could be a problem. I've got to have at least one low g and one high g ukulele...so maybe I'd feel like I need a dulcimer in 2 different tunings. But the tuning change for the dulcimer doesn't require a string change, so maybe that won't happen. Anyway, first step is to try one!

Thanks, Jim, for sharing your video. It does look like a lot of fun, and a change of hand position from the ukulele, which is one thing I'm looking for too. Days that I have time, I can overdo it with ukulele. Winter is coming. More indoors time, so more time for music.

Justaguest, building anything is way beyond my abilities. I have seen the kits for sale, and wonder how complicated (or not?) those are. There is a thought.

Be careful, Dulcimer Acquisition Disease (DAD) is real. Since starting in 2007, I have my 7th custom dulcimer on order. ;)
Who are good builders? If I dive in, it will be with a beginner level dulcimer, but if it sticks with me, from my browsing around, it would be good to know who good builders are.

McSpadden and Folkcraft are my two favorite. There are other fine builders too.
I've run across those names while window shopping on the internet. Good to know that they're good builders.

In case you are interested, (or anyone else in this thread), there is a virtual vending event tomorrow, the day before the virtual dulcimer fest begins. The vending event is 4 to 6 PM, Eastern time. Having never done this, I don't know if it will be anything of interest or not.

I signed up for a absolute beginner hammered dulcimer class, but wish I had done the same for mountain dulcimer too. But I've found lots of videos online, so if I go this route, I should be able to get started anyway.

I was the only absolute beginner in the class, (and the only one without a dulcimer.) The others had all played for at least a few years. But, it was a good class, and gave me a good idea of how to approach playing dulcimer. Glad I took it.

I have two traditional dulcimers. One's fairly old, with wooden tuning pegs. It has the same tuning challenges as my fiddles. It was gifted to me maybe 20 years ago by two generous women strangers. It's got a few cracks in the solid wood body and top, but nothing structural. The other is a more modern factory made version with geared tuners and a gig bag, that I bought used via Craigslist.

Maybe 40 years ago, I played old time instrumental music, with me on guitar and a lost friend on dulcimer. That music was sweet.
That same lost friend and I also played a different genre with him on sitar, and me on guitar.

I have two traditional dulcimers. One's fairly old, with wooden tuning pegs. It has the same tuning challenges as my fiddles. It was gifted to me maybe 20 years ago by two generous women strangers. It's got a few cracks in the solid wood body and top, but nothing structural. The other is a more modern factory made version with geared tuners and a gig bag, that I bought used via Craigslist.

Maybe 40 years ago, I played old time instrumental music, with me on guitar and a lost friend on dulcimer. That music was sweet.
That same lost friend and I also played a different genre with him on sitar, and me on guitar
Pretty unique that strangers gave you a dulcimer. That's always heartwarming to hear about the generosity of people.

I hope that you have lots of good memories of your friend to make up for the loss. I can't imagine tackling playing sitar. That must have been fun to have your friend play sitar while you played guitar.

Top Bottom