Search results

1. DuckyI

Mel Tormé plays a baritone ukulele

Check out Mel Tormé playing a baritone ukulele on a lovely rendition of Jobim’s Corcovado. From about the 23 minute time mark.
  2. DuckyI

New Uke Day (NUD) Tkitki HK-S5A

This is a postponed New Ukulele Day. I have had this ukulele since late last year but hadn't posted pictures of it yet. This is a Martin Style 1K copy by Japanese luthier workshop Tkitki, with 17 frets rather than the traditional 12. It is made out of 5A mastergrade koa, with a mahogany neck and...
  3. DuckyI

Do you like it pink?

Do you like pink? I came across this Tkitki Eco+ soprano, which is made out of solid flamed maple in a hot pink stain. I have to be honest, I kind of dig it! (I have a similar model in natural coloured, flamed koa and it's a superb uke)
  4. DuckyI

Taking a chance on love

Here is a little run through of the 1940 show tune Taking a Chance on Love. A decidedly tough one to sing.... but I decided to just have a go anyway :) As the saying goes: "I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn." Apologies for the mic cable in the top corner.
  5. DuckyI

"You're Nobody 'til Somebody Loves You" - with chord melody intro

I heard a wonderful version of this tune on the radio the other day, by the incomparable Sammy Davis Jr, so I thought I'd learn it. I added a little chord melody introduction, which is something I'm still learning about (and probably will be working at for many years to come!). Needless to say...
  6. DuckyI

NUD: Tkitki Eco+ soprano

This was something I happened upon, and I simply could not resist. I have been saving for a build, but this ticked all my boxes so I pounced. Plus, it was VERY reasonably priced. This is a Japanese ukulele, Tkitki, which have been very favourably reviewed and imported by the Southern Ukulele...
  7. DuckyI

You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To

A strum and sing through the 1942 classic standard 'You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To' from the pen of Cole Porter. I do enjoy a good love song in a minor key... Happy weekend everybody!
  8. DuckyI

Love is Here to Stay - jazz uke

Hi everyone, It was a bit of a joyless Friday afternoon here in London, so I played and sang my way through the 1938 standard "Love is Here to Stay" by George and Ira Gershwin. It cheered me up, I hope it does the same for you.
  9. DuckyI

Nice Work If You Can Get It

Hi everyone! Here is a little run through this 1937 classic by George and Ira Gershwin. I'm playing my new Style 3, which I've been enjoying a lot. It's very hot here in London. This goes out to all of you who are facing extreme weather at the moment, particularly in the US. Stay safe and...
  10. DuckyI

Time After Time

With the spring sun streaming in, I gave this lovely old standard a try, Time After Time by Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn from 1947. Edit: I re-uploaded another version - I wasn't doing this tune justice!
  11. DuckyI

WITHDRAWN: Kiwaya KS-4PG

I am putting my Kiwaya KS-4PG up for sale. I really like this uke but it is not getting the play it deserves, and I am looking to purchase something else that I need to raise some money for. This is the pineapple version of the KS-5, and as such it is the highest quality laminate soprano that...
  12. DuckyI

Thinking about a style 3

I am working towards a ukulele purchase some time later this year. I am a dedicated soprano player and I don't have very many ukes. My main instruments are a pair of Timms style 0's, one mahogany and one koa. I couldn't be happier with these. In terms of tone and playability, I would never need...
  13. DuckyI

How High The Moon

I had a go at this old tune from 1940 by Morgan Lewis and Nancy Hamilton. I hope some of you will enjoy it!
  14. DuckyI

Have You Met Miss Jones?

A quick video after work, I had a go at this classic standard by Rodgers and Hart from 1937. It's all smooth sailing until you hit the bridge, and then you've gotta hang on for dear life... A lovely composition which John Coltrane later based his tune 'Giant Steps' on. Here's my humble version...
  15. DuckyI

Sweet Lorraine

A lunch break well spent? Here is a sweet little ditty from 1928 written by Cliff Burwell and Mitchell Parish. Some rather tricky chord changes here and there: lovely! I am playing my Ken Timms Style 0 (koa).
  16. DuckyI

Gone With The Wind

A lunchtime play through an old song of lost romance, "Gone With The Wind' from 1937, penned by Allie Wrubel and Herb Magidson.
  17. DuckyI

String question

I am looking for a set of soprano strings that has similar warmth, and more sustain and brightness than Worth Brown Mediums but that is not as bright as Worth Clear Mediums. Any tips?
  18. DuckyI

Kala archtop soprano case

I am thinking of buying this Kala archtop soprano case. If anyone here has one, do you know if a Martin soprano has a snug fit in it? I don't want to spend good money on a case that is too big. My thinking is that if the uke rattles around in the case, I am better off buying a lesser case with...
  19. DuckyI

Easy Living - some jazz for your ears

I had a go at this beautiful classic tune from the Great American Songbook from 1937, written by Leo Robin and Ralph Rainger. And a real vocal work out it is too! I hope you enjoy it - the ukulele life is easy living.
  20. DuckyI

Some jazz on a Friday afternoon - 'I remember you'

A lovely old standard that I recorded after a long week.
Top Bottom