Search results

1. Canada Jim

Tiny Tim & Bob Dylan

Here is a strange pairing - Bob Dylan in a Davey Crocket hat and Tiny Tim playing a right-handed tiple. Was Tiny ambidextrous? This is an early PR shot from the mid fifties, the only other shot I've seen of him playing right handed.
  2. Canada Jim

"If I'd known I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." Eubie Blake

March 30, 2024 is my eightieth birthday. Here's a tune to celebrate that I learned from a Ray Jessel performance - The Short Term Memory Blues
  3. Canada Jim

Remembering Andy Dowling

When I was hitchhiking in Ireland in the late sixties, I was picked up by this guy and taken to a fleadh cheoil in New Ross. He asked, "Are you goin' to the fleadh?" I said, "What's a fleadh?" He explained and I said,"Yes, I'm goin' to the fleadh." Andy Dowling, (pronounced Doolin) was one of...
  4. Canada Jim

A Bird Song That I Couldn't Attempt For SOTU 625

The topic for Season 625 is "This Season Is For The Birds". The first song that came into my head was one that was a big hit (?) when I was in high school. I recall going to the Deluxe Restaurant, a wonderful little Chinese restaourant run by Mr. & Mrs. Wong. My friends and I never got to...
  5. Canada Jim

Song Help Request What is the name of this clawhammer uke tab?

Here's a tune that I started playing 10 years ago. I know I didn't compose it, but I have no idea where it came from. It just fell under my fingers, so I wrote the tab because I couldn't think of a title or whether it a was a tune or a song (with words). Any help would be appreciated. I just...
  6. Canada Jim

Season 613 - Too Old To Die Young Now

Season 613 - Too Old To Die Young Now I got the idea for Season 613, from Brian Fergus (@UkeFoote ), who often performs a song from someone whose birthday occurs on the day of our open mics. https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/threads/seasonistas-on-line-get-together-open-mic.144426/ Here...
  7. Canada Jim

RIP Roger Whittaker

I see that Roger Whittaker passed today. I was never a big fan of his singing, but I really admired the way he could whistle. Have a listen. It appears that you'll have to click on the "Watch On YouTube" link.
  8. Canada Jim

Lost my old membership - "Jim Yates" is now "Canada Jim"

Our old computer just gave up the ghost and we had to buy a new (used) computer. The contents of the old computer have been transferred, but I am signed out of all of my sites. When I signed into Ukulele Underground, I had an old email, which I have lost track of and can't recall the password...
  9. Canada Jim

Tabs/Chords Precious Friend - Pete Seeger

PRECIOUS FRIEND - Pete Seeger [G] Just [D7] when [C#dim] I [G] thought [G7] All was [C] lost, you changed my [G] mind. [D7] [G] You [D7] gave [C#dim] me [G] hope (not just the old soft [Em] soap) You showed that [A7] we could learn to share in [D7] time (You and me and Rockefeller) [G] I'll...
  10. Canada Jim

Tabs/Chords Tennessee Waltz with 2nd verse

I found a second verse to this lovely waltz and I thought I'dshare it. I also was trying to find a way to play the decending bass line that I do on the guitar, but was stumped, so I moved it to the treble and played G / / |GMa7 / / |G7 / / |C / / | Here's the arrangement I made for our local...
  11. Canada Jim

Tabs/Chords The Ash Grove for 2 or 3 linear tuned ukes

An old Welsh harp tune for linear tuned ukuleles. Here is a melody tab: Here is a harmony tab: Here is a rhythm tab:
  12. Canada Jim

What does the word "cover" mean to you?

In order to not influence any answers, I'd like to simply ask, "What does the word cover mean to you when referring to a song?"
  13. Canada Jim

A good song for Season 559

Since we are limited to three entries each this season, I won't be doing this one, but it's a great one from The Elvin Bishop group and I wish someone would do it: I Fooled Around And Fell In Love
  14. Canada Jim

Member titles

I have wondered for a while what the titles Member, Well-known Member, UU VIP. . . mean or stand for. I have also noticed that I have a Reaction score of 930 and 113 Trophy points, but I have no idea what that means.
  15. Canada Jim

SOTU 554 "Swayin' to the tempo of a squeezebox melody" Songs About Instruments

SOTU 554 "Swayin' to the tempo of a squeezebox melody" songs about instruments First, I'd like to thank Sabine (AKA Ms. Bean or Uke & flute) for graciously agreeing to switch seasons with me when Maggie and I were gifted tickets to see Hamlet in Stratford, Ontario and had to be away for three...
  16. Canada Jim

My New Uke

Maggie and I spent the last few days in Stratford, Ontario at my sister's and went to see a modern version of Hamlet. The actor who played Hamlet was a black woman and she did a wonderful job. Most of the language was straight out of Shakespeare, with a wee bit of adlibbing (Hamlet told the...
  17. Canada Jim

What is this symbol on our profile picture?

I just noticed a small circle icon at the bottom of my profile picture. I noticed that Ila also has one of these, but not everyone does. Could anyone tell me what it means?
  18. Canada Jim

Thirty-eight years!

38 years ago today I made one of the best moves ever; I married the love of my life. Maggie and I had been together since September 1, 1981, but we made it formal on this day. They say I am feeble with age, Maggie, I step not as sprightly as then, My face is a well written page, Maggie, And...
  19. Canada Jim

R.I.P. Rompin' Ronnie Hawkins

Legendary Peterborough, Ontario musician Ronnie Hawkins has passed at 11:25am EST May 29th. I was a fan and ran into him several times. We had the same favourite breakfast joint, the East City Coffee Shop and I would see him chowing down in there. Ronnie had moved from his home on Stony Lake...
  20. Canada Jim

Age Is Just A Number

Today (March 30, 2022) is my 78th birthday. I am the oldest living Yates in my family, but I don't yet feel like an old man, even though I'm no longer asked if I get a seniors' discount, they just assume that I do. I decided it was time to add this Pete Seeger/Anonymous song, My Get-Up-And-Go...
Top Bottom