what are you reading?

Can anyone recommend some light-hearted, easy reading fiction that can cheer me up? I'm looking at what I have checked out from the library and my hold list, and nothing comes close to fitting that description....
I loved the “Thursday Murder Club“ series by Richard Osman. Four delightful and humorous novels in which a group of senior citizens in an English retirement community clandestinely investigate murders. Read them in order. Lots of fun!

I loved the “Thursday Murder Club“ series by Richard Osman. Four delightful and humorous novels in which a group of senior citizens in an English retirement community clandestinely investigate murders. Read them in order. Lots of fun!

I’ll check that out. I enjoyed the series Only Murders in the Building, & this sounds like it could be fun like that.

Edit to add: 101 people have a hold at my library on the first book of the series! It must be good.

Last edited:
I just finished The Women by Kristin Hannah. This is the best book I have read in 2024. It's a story about an US Army Nurse who served in Vietnam. First a warning, if you are one of us who lived through that turbulent era, and do not wish to be reminded of those troubling times, this book isn't for you. The horrors of war are tragically documented. It captures the fractures that occurred in our society during that time. The lack of appreciation shown to the nurses who served in Vietnam is covered quite thoroughly. It's a story about, honor, a call to duty and mass disappointment. A historically accurate description of those sad times. Every possible emotion is touched in this magnificent, epic novel. It is also a story about friendship and redemption. Just a wonderful read.

Currently reading Emily Wilde's Encyclopaedia of Faeries, by Heather Fawcett, which was mentioned by TimWilson in post #1,462 of this thread. Much like the Harry Potter series it plunges the reader into a world of magic populated by a variety of wee fairy folk and quirky human characters, for a really enjoyable tale that's hard to put down. I started on it at bedtime and read almost half the book before turning out the light!

I'm still reading 'The Story of Philosophy', by Will Durant, and also 'Rousseau and Revolution: The Story of Civilization, Part 10' by Will and Ariel Durant, albeit sporadically and only a few pages at a time. Neither one is what you'd call light reading. 😄

Last edited:
I'm back to reading The McCartney Legacy, (got to finish it before the just announced next volume comes out this year!), and decided to give a NYT suggestion a try for light reading: Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris, since it will take forever for The Thursday Night Murder Club to be available at the library. Sooo many people have a hold on it.

Just wrapped up reading Shogun.
It’s been at least 20 years since I read it…on my list to read again. In fact I have it on hold through the Libby app as a digital audiobook. Something like a 6 week waiting list but I don’t mind since it will cost me nothing. :)

Just finished Dead Mountain, latest in the agent Cory Swanson thriller series. Each time I start a new one I feel it was better than the last. I can’t necessarily say the same about the agent Pendergast series. A couple of those were just too far “out there” for my taste.

Definitely check out his next one: Starter Villain.
Thanks Tim! Starter Villain just came from the library this week, and I read it in one day. FANTASTIC. Ordering from the bookstore, this is a keeper. I'll definitely be reading it again.

Just finished Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice. Not for those who don't like sci-fi, and not for those who want to understand what's going on right from the beginning. It took me about half the book to get with the program, but it was still an enjoyable read, not a slog (to me) to get there, and the end was worth the effort. About to start Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel (local author), which my daughter just finished reading and really enjoyed. She's about to start Ancillary Justice and my mom is going to read Starter Villain.

Suzanne Palmer's "finder". A engaging Sci-Fi novel with all the old school elements I used to enjoy when I first started reading the genre. It's got space travel, good guys, bad guys (some alien some not), new tech, old tech, socioeconomic elements. It's got it all.

My turn for Nicholas Carr's The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains just came through. Barely started it but this looks like a good one.

just read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, by John Berendt for
what must be the 3rd or 4th time. such a book.

then last week ate up Ali Smith's incredible novel, Hotel World.
what an imaginative playful writer she is. certainly my favourite of hers thus far,
though i've adored everything i've read by her. her writing style is utterly
unique. poetic. initially it can be a little intimidating and seem immutable
in some ways but i highly recommend her.

a couple of days ago i started The Year My Family Unravelled,
a heartbreaking memoir by Cynthia Dearborn. a raw and real and
extremely moving portrait of a daughter attempting to navigate her way
through the storm of having her mother diagnosed w/ terminal cancer
and her father's steady decline in the throes of dementia.
close to home.

🌻

I just finished The Stranger by Harlan Coben. I'd consider Coben's books to be potato chip literature. They're not particularly good literature but they are sure tasty and enjoyable and it's pretty easy to devour a lot of them. He's good at thrillers, suspense and story twists. I've enjoyed his books in the past, I enjoyed this one and will read more in the future.

Top Bottom