Why buy other than Martin?

As far as Martin copies, the only thing Martin can really claim ownership of is the headstock. I mean, there are only so many ways to brace a guitar. Other builders are bound to do it the same as Martin, that doesn't make them copies. Also lots of Martin owners love to talk about that distinctive Martin sound, which only Martin owners can seem to hear. I certainly don't recognize a sound inherent to Martin. You can probably tell at this point I'm not a follower in the cult of Martin.

So why buy something else? Because you can get better built, better looking, and better sounding guitars if you are not stuck on the Martin name.

While in the Navy, when visiting the Philippines, I was really tempted to buy a “bootleg” copy of a Martin guitar for about $50. My plan was, when I got back home, I would hang it on my wall. While having friends over for a party, I would start throwing darts at it and see which of my musician friends would scream and throw themselves in front of it…
Not because I didn’t like Martin guitars, but just for a laugh!

People choose Martin copies for unique features or customization, even if they cost more, but it's a testament to Martin's quality that copying remains prevalent.

Some Martin copies built a reputation of their own. Specially the Japanese made ones. Since vintage Martin and Gibson acoustics are out of my league, I always keep and eye out for decent vintage copies.

In the 1960s, I was an entry-level folksinger in New York (supplemented by tending bar a few nights a week). At first, I played a Gibson, which was very nice. But many of the better, more popular, and more famous folksingers and singer songwriters played the Martin D-28. Eventually, I bought one, too. It wasn't a decision based on tonality or playability (although both were excellent), but rather an act of conformity. My goofy logic went something like this. "Those people are good, they play Martins, they must know what they are doing, I should get one." Once I saved up the money, I traded in the Gibson and walked out with the Martin. I never even compared the two.

Conformity is a very powerful factor in human decision-making. We all like to think that we are independent thinkers. But the Solomon Asch conformity studies in the 1950s tell a different story. Most people are very likely to conform in some ways to a group, even at times when they think the group is wrong.

Based in part on my extensive experience with loudmouths not being able to tell one brand of liquor from another while blindfolded, I suspect that most people can't tell the difference between Martins of different decades or other makes of different decades just by listening. One way to test your ability to do this is to put a blindfold on and have a friend play various YouTube videos by The Ukulele Site and see if you can identify the makers based on sound.

"Why buy anything but Martin?" At the time I was playing my Martin, Larry CoryeIl (who was about a thousand times better than me) was playing a LoPrinzi. Vintage LoPrinzi guitars are still available at very reasonable prices compared with vintage Martins. Larry CoryeIl fans might ask, "Why buy anything but LoPrinzi?"

Like @Troout2 says,
I'm new to this forum, but the thoughtfulness and openness of threads like this are amazing to me, coming from twitter
I'm always trying to play peacemaker on Twitter, to no avail. Whereas, here, people are much more inclined to see others' perspective
If this were twitter, you should expect F bombs and spam bots, but I suppose that's partly bc of the algorithm

ON TOPIC: As far as Martin guitars go, I use them as a standard reference, same with old Fender Amps. I find the sound I like (but can't afford) and I find the closest thing to it, but without the Brand-name "reputation inflation". Plus I make sure to get a grime and scratches discount

I'll see whether this Furch guitar holds up to the Martin I'm thinking of (Furch gets here Thursday) and I'll post a clip for y'all to evaluate (using the good mic). Hopefully I made the right choice

If you know the history of Martin you know he came over from Germany in 1833 and started the Martin guitar company. He moved to Nazareth Pennsylvania in 1839 and the company has been there ever since. He developed X bracing which is widely used and the dreadnaught body shape. Arguably the most popular or recognizable guitar shape. This is why Martin is a popular and well respected company.

To answer the question of why buy a copy of a Martin the answer is two fold. Some are less expensive, if price is a concern this is the way to go. Other copies are built by custom builders that pay attention to ever detail just like the custom ukulele builders ie, Kinnard, LfdM, Beau Hannam, Petros etc, etc. So you get "potentially" better sound and all the details to your liking

I'm new to this forum, but the thoughtfulness and openness of threads like this are amazing to me, coming from twitter
I'm always trying to play peacemaker on Twitter, to no avail. Whereas, here, people are much more inclined to see others' perspective
If this were twitter, you should expect F bombs and spam bots, but I suppose that's partly bc of the algorithm

ON TOPIC: As far as Martin guitars go, I use them as a standard reference, same with old Fender Amps. I find the sound I like (but can't afford) and I find the closest thing to it, but without the Brand-name "reputation inflation". Plus I make sure to get a grime and scratches discount

I'll see whether this Furch guitar holds up to the Martin I'm thinking of (Furch gets here Thursday) and I'll post a clip for y'all to evaluate (using the good mic). Hopefully I made the right choice

Welcome to the forum and glad you are here. Ukulele players have little to no ego and nothing to prove, it's a fun instrument and we are here to have fun and enjoy each other's point of view and the conversation

Congratulations on the new Furch, I will be very interested to hear what you think of it. They are a manufacturer that is on my radar and highly regarded.

What price range of Martin guitars are we talking about here? Under $2000 vs $2000 and up?

I have a Martin Uke and two Taylor guitars. Do I want a badass Martin? Yes sir I do.

Buy what you like and enjoy it!

Someone out there can rock a student Yamaha acoustic guitar better than a $5000 Martin guitar.

What price range of Martin guitars are we talking about here? Under $2000 vs $2000 and up?

I have a Martin Uke and two Taylor guitars. Do I want a badass Martin? Yes sir I do.

Buy what you like and enjoy it!

Someone out there can rock a student Yamaha acoustic guitar better than a $5000 Martin guitar.

That's a good point, the lower priced Martin (under $1000) can usually be beat out by Eastman or Yamaha. Those and some others are better bang for the buck.

That being said when you get to the D18 and D28 range they are an iconic guitar that all other dreadnaughts are judged by. But now we are into the $3000 and above dollar range.

Top Bottom