Who here has a soprano with a pickup?

ukeclass

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I’m replacing a defective pickup in one of my instruments next week, and I’ll have a brand new spare pickup after it’s complete, and I’m thinking of putting it in my Kanile’a soprano. But who here has a soprano with a pickup? I’m wondering if it’s even worth the labor? As the instrument does not sustain as long as bigger instruments, nor does it have the volume, I’m just wondering if someone else has one with a pickup affixed.

Last edited:
Ukeclass, I play a Martin S-0 soprano, and I installed a single-disc "under-the-soundboard" surface-mount passive piezo pickup in it a few years ago. It was very inexpensive, and came from a company called "jjb Electronics." My gigging is pretty much limited to the retirement home circuit.

I run from the uke into an inexpensive Behringer ADI-21 preamp/eq box, and then from there into a little Kustom PA-50 portable p.a., which is very capable for such a small unit. I use one channel on the p.a. for my voice and the other for my uke. I must say, it's pretty astounding how well that combination can fill a room with sound. And people seem to find it pleasing to the ear.

Now, without a preamp, the disc pickup tends to deliver a very "hot" and harsh signal once you start to turn it up, but running it first thru the preamp allows you to buffer that signal, dial out the harsh or feedback-prone frequencies, and then send a nice smooth sound into the p.a.

My jjb Electronics pickup cost around $35. That's the version that features an "endpin jack" such as you'd see on many acoustic guitars. But they also make a simpler version which costs half as much and has a jack that you'll position more on the lower side-bout area of the uke. I've used both versions, and they both work great (installation on the less expensive version is quicker and easier).

My Behringer preamp also cost around $35. You can run it on an AC adapter or a 9V battery. So far I've opted for the convenience of battery power, and I just take care to freshen up the battery every few gigs (and keep a spare in my gig bag just in case).

For the kind of outings that I do, the above setup works really well. Honestly, I love the sound of a soprano that's properly "mic'd up", and I've done a lot of gigs with that approach, but I've found that using the pickup allows me to play with more "nuance", and to avoid "over-playing," knowing that the pickup will get the sound out there above the normal "room noise".

So, I would absolutely recommend a pickup in a soprano!

Bill-
Thank you for the clear and detailed reply to the OP’s question. I’m pleasantly surprised at the affordability of the jjb pickup and the pre-amp. If I choose to go that route with Yowling Tom, what amount should I expect to pay for a portable PA such as yours?
Thanks,
Clark

I have a K&K transducer pickup installed on my Kumalae soprano. I just play at home so I don’t use an amp. When I have plugged it in it sounded great. Only issue I really have is the cord makes it feel awkward and clumsy, both straight and angled cords.

I have a Shadow under-saddle pickup in my Brüko soprano which a local luthier fitted for me. It's just a passive pickup like Bill's so benefits greatly from having some sort of external preamp to tame the piezo "quack". I've found an inexpensive compression pedal does that nicely and helps to shape the tone before going into my Orange Crush acoustic amp (which also takes a mic input). When I was gigging with a party band I'd use various effects pedals too for some songs which needed a distictive sound. A tuner pedal is good to plug into as well, as it cuts the sound while I'm tuning up.

If I want a more authentic sound I'll use an iRig Acoustic Stage which has a tiny mic that clips onto the soundhole (and can mix in the output from the pickup too), but invariably I prefer simply to plug in to the pickup jack for fewer issues with feedback and a more robust cable connection.

I use a strap with my soprano, so the weight of the cable is no bother.

Bill-
Thank you for the clear and detailed reply to the OP’s question. I’m pleasantly surprised at the affordability of the jjb pickup and the pre-amp. If I choose to go that route with Yowling Tom, what amount should I expect to pay for a portable PA such as yours?
Thanks,
Clark
Thanks, Clark! The Kustom PA-50 was selling for around $100 when I got mine several years ago. And although they currently go for $150, I see that Musician's Friend and Guitar Center have discounted them to $100 again, at least for a limited time. They don't have reverb, but honestly I don't miss it that much!

I have several sopranos, only one with a pre-installed pickup (probably a quality K&K, given that it's a high end luthier built one) and I never use the amplification. If I really need to play for over 50 people, a microphone will do just fine.

Top Bottom