What's wrong with a ukulele sounding like a ukulele?

I'm happy playing my non-ukulele. I don't care what you wish to call it, I'm having fun.
When I was young, I strung a bunch of resonant things across the opening of a bucket. If I squeezed the bucket between my thighs, the pitches of all the resonating strings would go down (tennis racquet strings and rubber bands if I remember). I also made a diddley bow. Neither of these things had names in my experience. I played them and the angels gathered around to throw celestial tomatoes, but it was fun to me.

So I agree, the name of a thing does not make the thing.

Do I need different strings to change to DGBE?
I would. I like Martin 630s. $5.99 us dollars on the big river site. Keep in mind you may need to slightly modify the nut to accommodate the new strings. One of my favorite things about baritone ukulele is that it unleashed the E chord for me because I struggled with it on GCEA ukes. But, it balances out as other easy GCEA chords are now a bit tougher on DGBE baritone.

Attachments

• baritone chords.jpg
    baritone chords.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 6
What separates the ukulele from all the other instruments is not the tuning.

A ukulele is an instrument without the baggage that all the other instruments have to contend with.

You can play whatever you like however you like and fit in.

John
Well said, brother John! I recently read a bio on Gerald Ross in which he put something into words that I had personally felt but had never consciously expressed. Paraphrasing, the statement was, "I wanted to play the uke as an instrument and not just as an engine to generate chords to accompany vocals."

Well said, brother John! I recently read a bio on Gerald Ross in which he put something into words that I had personally felt but had never consciously expressed. Paraphrasing, the statement was, "I wanted to play the uke as an instrument and not just as an engine to generate chords to accompany vocals."
My baggage reference to other instruments stems from so many iconic recordings and scores and music written specifically for so many other instruments that there is an unwritten level of proficiency necessary to compete with the recording when performing, or even just playing.

With the astronomical number of ukuleles in the world there are comparatively few, (any?), “mainstream” recordings and associated published scores/music specifically for the ukulele.

Most mainstream music is adapted to the instrument; especially instrumentals. This allows a freedom of creativity that rises above a critical comparison as there are no comparative mainstream versions.

There are certain recognizable songs/versions within the ukulele community, but outside of that, people have no clue.

John

My baggage reference to other instruments stems from so many iconic recordings and scores and music written specifically for so many other instruments that there is an unwritten level of proficiency necessary to compete with the recording when performing, or even just playing.

With the astronomical number of ukuleles in the world there are comparatively few, (any?), “mainstream” recordings and associated published scores/music specifically for the ukulele.

Most mainstream music is adapted to the instrument; especially instrumentals. This allows a freedom of creativity that rises above a critical comparison as there are no comparative mainstream versions.

There are certain recognizable songs/versions within the ukulele community, but outside of that, people have no clue.

John
I also mean no offense to folk who strum astoundingly well, with bass lines and melody notes- amazingly beautiful music.

I also mean no offense to folk who strum astoundingly well, with bass lines and melody notes- amazingly beautiful music.
I agree completely. Even strumming a song on a ukulele because many times people are adapting from an original recording.

That is what makes it a unique sound. It is really tough to make a ukulele sound bad. Unlike some instruments I’ve played.

John

As to @70sSanO ’s entirely correct comment that there is so little actual music written specifically for the uke, @BigJackBrass is doing his part with his “Cliff Edwards [Ukulele Ike] Project”. He’s made a treasure trove of uke sheet music available for free download by UUF members. It’s a monumental and much appreciated effort!

The 1924 swing tune I’m presently working through is a result of that project.

... I purchased a baritone, and selected to go with Hi d on that too. Something about re-entrant tuning sounds right to me...
Over the last year, I have been moving away from baritone for the reason that it seems unfocused (cluttered) on the 4th string. You may have prompted me to try reentrant on that. TBC.

As to @70sSanO ’s entirely correct comment that there is so little actual music written specifically for the uke, @BigJackBrass is doing his part with his “Cliff Edwards [Ukulele Ike] Project”. He’s made a treasure trove of uke sheet music available for free download by UUF members. It’s a monumental and much appreciated effort!

The 1924 swing tune I’m presently working through is a result of that project.
Please - Where's the website for the music? Thanks

Hi Wiggy
i purchased a set from Living Water for the Bari. Very happy with them

Another great discussion and a thank you to all those who posted. I don't have anyone to talk uke with locally and these forums fill that need.

Top Bottom