What books do you enjoy playing from? (NON-songbooks)

ukeclass

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
What does everyone like to play from? My list does NOT include song books like the Jumpin' Jims. It's meant to treat the ukulele as a true solo instrument, so the books listed are for fingerpicking style, features specific techniques, or is a true method book. Not in any particular order.

1. Arpeggio Meditations, Daniel Ward
2. Melodic Meditations, Daniel Ward
3. Jason's Ukulele Book, Jason Jerome
4. Ukulele Songbook, Daniel Ho (not actually a songbook LOL)
5. Classical Ukulele Anthologies, Vols. 1-3, Giovanni Albini
6. Graded Repertoire For Classical Ukulele, Jeff Peterson
7. Slide and Slack Key Ukulele, Fred Sokolow
8. How to Play Slack Key Ukulele, Heeday Kimura
9. Learn to Play Slack Key Style Ukulele, Mark Nelson
10. Ukulele Slack Key, David Heaukulani
11. Pekelo's Hawaiian 'Ukulele Method Levels I and II, Peter Palisbo

Please comment your favorites down below, so we can all grow our own libraries with great literature!

Special shout out to Paniolo from #2 on the list, one of my favorite songs to just shred away anytime I pick up a Kamaka. It's absolutely riddled with 3rds and 6ths between strings.

Last edited:
I just got this on kindle yesterday. I always start too late on Christmas music, so I’m going to start early this year. The violin part gives me the melody, and the guitar chords will give me accompaniment ideas.

IMG_7750.png

This one has been very helpful. It’s hard to play from directly, although it is possible. Great source material!

IMG_7751.jpeg

This is the only uke book I have, but it's pretty good. I usually play by ear, but this book caught my eye.

51IUySP36rL._SY445_SX342_.jpg

Working on playing lead (single-note melody) lines from "The Portland Collection." It is predominantly "fiddle tunes" for dancing and suits my growth in playing GDAE from notation. It includes the accompaniment sequence chord names - a definite plus. All are indexed alphabetically and by key. Low G is the lowest written note.

Last edited:
Top Bottom