Ways to improve sound on a heavily built ukulele?

Reaction score
Hey guys
I have a tanglewood TU2 Soprano! I got it when I was completely noob; chose it because of looks!

What I realise now the uke is very heavily built, very thick solid spruce top and heavy in terms of overall weight! The sound is very thin and punchy... sustain is horrible...

I have soprano Aquila reds on it, the strings feel very sloppy compared to my ohana tenor! Even when strummed hard with a felt pick, I cannot feel the uke body vibrate... (I have tried martin flouro, and nygut before the reds all with similar results!)

I feel like the uke have more potential, I wonder if I put higher tension string (perhaps a tenor or concert set) would it bring out more potential?Is there any other mode I can do to it to bring the sound out?

If the intonation is good and you love to play it, I'd probably install a pickup. Many Oscar Schmidts are built quite heavily and are somewhat quiet, but sound decent when plugged in. Doesn't have to be a pricey pickup. Nice setups on Ebay between $5 & $10. I know my OU5 sounded so dead I considered getting rid of it.........until I installed Aquila strings on it. Not loud, but sweet and resonant. Still haven't installed the bone nut and saddle or a pickup yet........can't bring myself to get rid of it.

Last edited:
The most complicated refurb I ever did was on a cheapie Mahalo
Tenor Ukulele. I set up the action and replaced the stock strings
to start with. Dressed and levelled the frets.Then,finding it was
way 'over braced' I went in through the soundhole and removed
two of the braces/struts from under the soundboard.
What a difference that made! It was suddenly more responsive,
better tone and sustain,in short, it became the ukulele I had
wanted it to be from purchase!

My KoAloha tenor custom is the heaviest uke I've ever held or played. Of course, it has a pickup with a 9 volt battery inside. But even without the pickup, it would still be very heavy.

Trust one thing--it sounds sweet. It's loud when I want it to be, and soft as well. It is solid koa both in the body and neck. Fretboard, bridge, and bindings are milo.

Funnily enough. If you REDUCE the string tension by detuning the instrument then you will get MORE sustain. Higher tension by tuning up will reduce the sustain. Detune the instrument 1 semitone and see what you think.

Anthony

I have this Tanglewood TU2 and BostonCreampuff is right,
it sounds thin.
Tried to put in a Low G string to get a little more "Bass" but that made it sound odd.
Was destined to be a wall hanger.

Saw Manalishi suggestion to remove the bracing and thought what do I have to loose.
So out came a long screwdriver, a hammer and after a few heart wrenching knocks, both the braces from the soundboard came off.

How does it sound after that?

Maybe I wanted it to sound better, and I felt that there is now less THNNG and more THUNG.
In other words, it worked!

Now I don't know if the ukulele will collapse tomorrow or next week or next month or 2020.

Thanks Manalishi, now I am going to try this ops on another uke , one that is a little soft but otherwise produces a sweet sound.

Definitely not something for the faint hearted and only for designated wall hangers.

Best rgs

Best thing to do is practice, practice, practice. It'll improve in sound enormously.

Try wound strings. Do they make Kala Pearls for sops?

Funnily enough. If you REDUCE the string tension by detuning the instrument then you will get MORE sustain. Higher tension by tuning up will reduce the sustain. Detune the instrument 1 semitone and see what you think.
That sounds like an interesting approach. Hope the OP will give it a try and report back.

Try wound strings. Do they make Kala Pearls for sops?
I really can't imagine wounds on a soprano.

But if you want more sustain, a concert or tenor will do that better than a soprano. Low G will add a bit to the sound as well.

Top Bottom