VIDEO- Joining guitar tops and backs using the Spanish Method

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score

~ It says guitar tops because more people search on youtube for guitar stuff then uke stuff. ~

In this video, I show the method i've used to join every top and back since 2003.
Called the Spanish or Traditional method, it also happens to be the simplest, and cheapest method as it requires only scrap plywood, wedges and rope.

I like having loose ply strips for two main reasons:
1- It can be adjusted for any length of tops/backs plates.
2- It packs down to almost nothing, freeing up workshop space.

If you find you are jointing the same length of wood, you can easily add a middle stabilizer to hold the strips and keep them from moving around (it's not a big deal though but might be when just starting out). Either way, it's good to keep this bare bones system on hand.

Please Subscribe :)
Thanks,
Beau

I still use the stretched tape method. After building a number of jigs for this I find that tape is the cleanest and by far the fastest, and no jig to store between times. Joining plates is one of my favorite lutherie operations. It's fast and fun.

I use the wedges and twine method as well Beau...Nowt wrong with this method even if the plates are an odd shape.

I've more commonly seen this style of what is called the "Spanish Method". It uses slightly more storage space than the video, but it is very sturdy, has less moving parts, and everything is all in 1 place when you want to use it. Cleat on the bottom holds it nicely in a vise while you wind the twine on it. Photos are self explanatory. No need to hammer home the wedges. Just snug them up good.

Attachments

• DSC_0678.jpg
    DSC_0678.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0679.jpg
    DSC_0679.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0680.jpg
    DSC_0680.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0681.jpg
    DSC_0681.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 43
Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned rub joint.

I've more commonly seen this style of what is called the "Spanish Method". It uses slightly more storage space than the video, but it is very sturdy, has less moving parts, and everything is all in 1 place when you want to use it. Cleat on the bottom holds it nicely in a vise while you wind the twine on it. Photos are self explanatory. No need to hammer home the wedges. Just snug them up good.

I have/use these jigs too, mostly for ukes.

Top Bottom