upgrading my soprano?

riceboy927

Reaction score
So I'm looking for a new ukulele, been playing for a while now and th wear is starting to show :) anyways, I want another soprano but I don't know what brand to get. I was looking into Kala, especially the makala sopranos, because I want to pay aournd 60-75 dollars. Let me know what you guys like! I would appreciate your opinions!.

Please and Thanks.

Aloha riceboy927, I have a Kala 15s. I purchased it from MGM. I would not usually by without playing but this uke is for kids or guests to mess around with. It's not a bad little uke for the price & stays tuned fairly well.

well I've been playing for a while, but not super long, so i just don't know if i should spend my money on a upper end ukulele.

well I've been playing for a while, but not super long, so i just don't know if i should spend my money on a upper end ukulele.

hi riceboy

just my 2 cents, but if I were you I'd err on the "up" side with your next purchase. If you're thinking about an upgrade then you must be enjoying the uke and committed to improving with your playing a lot...I've found that a better quality uke will encourage you to play more, and will just sound better overall. You'll be more motivated and it will save going through the endless cycle of one small upgrade after another.

My advice would be to outlay more now for a longer term benefit to your bank balance and to your playing in the long term.

If you can afford it I'd be looking at ukes more in the $200-300 range. Just something else for you to consider!!!

happy shopping and let us know what you end up with!!!

So I'm looking for a new ukulele, been playing for a while now and th wear is starting to show :) anyways, I want another soprano but I don't know what brand to get. I was looking into Kala, especially the makala sopranos, because I want to pay aournd 60-75 dollars. Let me know what you guys like! I would appreciate your opinions!.

Please and Thanks.

what are you playing now? what is your music background? eugene makes a great point and I agree with him. If you have ever had a quality instrument then you will understand what i'm going to say. I am a big believer in going up in quality. yes you might own less instruments but you can only play one at a time anyways. I'm assuming you already have a cheap uke right? If you do then why get another cheap uke? Kinda defeats the purpose. Nothing wrong with cheap ukes b/c some of them sound really good, but why not go with a mid-range import. Look at a solid wood uke like Mele, mainland, pono, big island, ohana, makai, vineyard, etc...or stick with the kala but go with a solid wood one. Just my two cents. another option is stay within your budget and look used. Find you a good used soprano in that price range. Good luck with what ever you do but i do suggest saving a little more and go for that $150-$200 range.

Aloha riceboy927,
Eugene and John have some good advice for you...I'd throw some new aquila's on your ukulele and save up for the upgrade...
And christmas is coming around, you might get some extra money at that time, maybe a mid level solid body would be your best
move possible..or if you could hold out and get a used premimum ukulele for a little more...Craigslist, e-bay, flea Market Music,
and of course out UU marketplace are good place to look for them....Lots of Luck!! Let us know what you get!! MM Stan..

Top Bottom