Thinking of buying a Luna tattoo tenor...worth buying an open box return from ebay?

trsarah

Reaction score
I am doing the 1 of each size UAS thing to try to find my perfect uke. Going back and forth between a baritone and a tenor. I was all set on a baritone and then I played a couple of tenors at my local Sam Ash and thought of adding one before a baritone.

So I know that I should just get a Mainland, lol. Everyone says that. Just don't have the cash right now. I played a Luna tattoo concert at a guitar center and was kind of impressed by its tone for the price - it was louder than my Pono and quite sweet.

Thinking of getting a tenor size. Would it be a big mistake to either get one new on ebay without set up or an open box?

Follow-up question: Would it be worth seeing what tenor people might sell me here for say, $150? That's as high as I can comfortably go.

My son got a Luna Tatoo tenor. Not much sustain, but I call it a "sound cannon"...would make a perfect uke for blues and any other style music where you don't want much sustain. It's woody, punch, and loud as hell.

Phil that's what I thought about the concert - so loud! Does he like it? Did he have it set up somewhere?

Thinking of getting a tenor size. Would it be a big mistake to either get one new on ebay without set up or an open box?

Follow-up question: Would it be worth seeing what tenor people might sell me here for say, $150? That's as high as I can comfortably go.
IMO, it would be a mistake to get a "starter" uke without set up when you can get ones for $150 from one of several reputable uke dealers that are set up and "guaranteed" out of the box. You won't get that from eBay (with some exceptions) or an open box from Guitar Center or Sam Ash.

I happen to have an Ohana tenor for sale that is in great shape, setup from Mims Ukes, and just fits your budget. You can see the "for sale" link in my signature if you're interested. And if you post a "WTB tenor for $150" ad in the marketplace here, you wil likely get other offers as well.

I reviewed a Tattoo Concert from Luna - it was a terrible instrument - and since doing that have had a lot of mail from people with Lunas of all sizes explaining about QC issues they have had - buzzing at best and bridges failing at worst.

I would avoid the brand myself. This was my concert review - http://www.gotaukulele.com/2015/10/luna-tattoo-concert-ukulele-review.html

I also don't like how Luna describe their woods in a misleading way.

My advice would be to save up for something nicer, or buy a nicer one used. The one that Jim is offering sounds like a great deal.

My Luna concert was purchased setup from HMS, too. I am very pleased with it. Mine is a solid spruce top and does have good sustain. The Tattoo is a laminate with the qualities PhilUSAFret mentioned

I was like the OP and wanted one of each size. I was ready to get the Tattoo tenor from HMS, and then the Outdoor Ukulele tenor went back into production. For $150, it is a great buy and plays great out of the box.

So, those are two nice entry level options for about the same price if you get the Luna shipped from HMS.

I would not get an open box or eBay purchase without factoring in paying for a setup.

Know what you mean about trying each size, very tempted myself.

I was recommended Makala brand as a relatively cheap way into ukuleles.

I have an MK-T tenor, it sounds good to me, as a beginner, I also have a MK-P pinapple soprano coming & a Snark SN-6 tuner, including Ukulele for Dummies book, about £145 the lot.

Jim, wish I had bought yours!! Before reading these replies I bid on a cordoba 20 tm-ce because it had local pickup and I had played one at the store I liked. Got it for 110. Probably 100 would have been a good deal (?), assuming it isn't junk, of course.

Fingers crossed it is in good shape and sounds good. Lesson: don't ebay in the middle of the night.....Will let you guys know. I woke up hoping I had been outbid.
S

Hey guys, so looks like my little ebay snafu turned out okay. The uke was brand new - not so much as a scratch, looked like it had never been played. Sounded very, very nice for the price, too. I was feeling pretty pleased with myself, but then I started to play it. I have a Pono, so maybe I am comparing apples and oranges, but there seemed to be a slight buzzing when fretting the C string. Also took a lot of finger tension to maker chords. I checked it out and I finally realized this was what all the "high action" talk is about. Took it to a local guitar maker (Philadelphia), and he checked it out. He seemed pretty impressed with it for what I paid, but said the action was only okay and would benefit from a setup for 25 bucks. Grand total with tax and set up: 145.

So, I am totally kicking myself that I didn't just buy it from someone here.

Because I wasn't the first owner and/or bought it here, if I go to sell it - anyone have an idea what a fair price would be, assuming it is in great shape and sounds good? I was thinking 115 including CONUS shipping? It retails for
200 new, plus either shipping (from a place that sets up) or going to a luthier/tech like I did. Thoughts?

Jim, wish I had bought yours!! ...I woke up hoping I had been outbid.
Haha. Been there. :p

He seemed pretty impressed with it for what I paid, but said the action was only okay and would benefit from a setup for 25 bucks. Grand total with tax and set up: 145.

Because I wasn't the first owner and/or bought it here, if I go to sell it - anyone have an idea what a fair price would be

So you got yourself a playable uke under budget. No worries. Play and enjoy. If you go to sell, I'd say try for $140 shipped but be prepared to drop a bit. But at this point, just play and enjoy. There are always other ukes out there. Don't beat yourself up with buyers remorse.

Hey guys, so looks like my little ebay snafu turned out okay. The uke was brand new - not so much as a scratch, looked like it had never been played. Sounded very, very nice for the price, too. I was feeling pretty pleased with myself, but then I started to play it. I have a Pono, so maybe I am comparing apples and oranges, but there seemed to be a slight buzzing when fretting the C string. Also took a lot of finger tension to maker chords. I checked it out and I finally realized this was what all the "high action" talk is about. Took it to a local guitar maker (Philadelphia), and he checked it out. He seemed pretty impressed with it for what I paid, but said the action was only okay and would benefit from a setup for 25 bucks. Grand total with tax and set up: 145.

The 20TMCE is a great starter I think. I still have mine and I got a lot of use out of the electronics which are pretty good for a budget instrument. I found that it sounds very good with worth and Fremont strings. As you discovered, a good setup is well worth the investment.

Thanks, guys! I will check it out and see what the tenor is all about. Love this forum. Everyone is so helpful and kind!

Top Bottom