Systematic Analysis of Worth vs Aquila Vs D'Addario (or Frankenuke)

HoldinCoffee

Reaction score
Kala 15S (named Fiona) with Aquila strings: Sounded 'nice'
Lanikai LSM-Concert (Named Roxxy) with GHS strings. Sounded 'chunky' and dull.

I bought three sets of strings for the LSM-C figuring I'd do the ol Pepsi challenge and settle the debate longstanding as to Worth vs D'Addario vs Aquila.

Worth CM Concert
Aquila Concert
D'Addario J92 Concert

I first tried the Worths (CM). Love them, Roxxy's sounding sweet! Decent sustain, smooth and thin compared to GHS. Noticable improvement. I like 'em so much, I didn't want to take 'em off. If it ain't broken, don't fix it, right? WRONG!

I saw the Fiona sitting in the corner and I wondered what the D'addarios would sound like on the soprano. I read someone's post mentioning that Aquilas are great on koa, but mahogany requires either D'Addarios or Worths.

But is it advisable to put concert strings on a soprano uke? I read through the posts and it seems there exists this concept of STRING TENSION. And supposedly, putting concert strings on a soprano could potentially cause a string to snap off and whack you in your eyeball. But then I remembered the words of Mitch Hedberg who said "I don't think you should avoid doing something just because of how its going to turn out at the end. 'Hey Mitch, don't eat that apple, by the end its just gonna be a core.'" :(I should probably state for the record that Mitch died of a drug overdose):

So now Fiona Soprano has brand new D'Addario J92 concert strings and :eek:! I never heard a soprano sing like that! I'll describe it as low, melLOW. Anybody that wants to get a warmer mellow tone out of a soprano (and doesn't care if your bridge flies up and embeds itself in your forehead), I strongly recommend this procedure. I'm even considering getting a set of tenor strings for Roxxy!

In retrospect I suppose I kinda lost focus of my original intent which was to perform a systematic analysis of concert strings. O'well, PONO!

Top Bottom