Strings By Mail

I recently bought Pyramid strings from the head office in Germany. Overall a good experience.

I have not used them but have used Strings & Beyond many, many times. Booli is also a fan. They have a nice reward program and a referral program. If you use the link below, I get some points. Or just go direct. You'll be happy either way.

http://myaccount.stringsandbeyond.com/mod_referralRewards/welcome.php?referralCode=RWKWQC

E

Yes, Strings & Beyond is a great shop, good prices, lots of discounts (monthly) and fast shipping - most orders are received in about 2 business days. If your order is over $35, shipping is FREE to the USA and Canada. And yes, I can also personally attest to the fact that their referral program is great, as you get free 'coupons' worth $5, $10 or $20 that you can use (only one per checkout) to reduce the final cost of your order. [right now they have a 15% off special that applies to your entire order]

HOWEVER, I find that they do not have ALL the varieties of the various makes of strings (Worth, Aquila, Savarez, Oasis, et al) - and for those other sets, my go-to is Strings By Mail, which is ALSO an EXCELLENT shop. They have more variety of brands and a greater range of product for each brand, and charge a flat shipping of $3.99 for any size order, which usually arrives in about 4 business days. They also send a handwritten thank-you note with each order which is a nice touch.

I have spent a small fortune at each of the above to feed my string testing addiction over the past 18 months. I have spoken on the phone with folks from both of the above shops as well as Mike from Uke Republic (see below) and they are ALL some of the nicest folks on the planet, and I am happy to give them my money. :)

But keep in mind that Uke Republic also has the Orcas, and all varieties of Fremont strings, as well as being the ONLY USA vendor for Ken Middleton's Living Water strings, and while you may find the Fremont strings at HMS and Elderly, none of the other vendors have the Orcas or Living Waters at this time.

To note: the newest Aquila LAVA strings (first only available @ Roy T. Cone's site ukuleleworld.com back in Nov'14)) are now available at Uke Republic, Strings & Beyond, as well as Strings By Mail since Feb'15.

I don’t have a problem with HMS or Elderly (also bough from both in the past), but I try to order from a place closer to my home (in NJ) to reduce my contribution to carbon pollution, as local shops have only Aquila Nylguts and Martin M6x0 string sets so I have no choice but to order others online.

Cant go wrong with any of these, just depends if they stock the string sets you want...

Last edited:
SBM is good! I just received some Oasis strings from them in fine condition. ;)

I like Elderly, they have great prices and free shipping of you order enough...

That's odd; I got a set of Oasis tenor warms recently and they were just fine—in fact, plenty long! Must have been some goof-up with Oasis packaging.

Oh.. sorry if I implied otherwise. I'm sure it was short before stringsbymail sent them. Unless they were opening and measuring everything, it's because the supply was faulty.

They shipped quick, and I had no problems with it. It's not a big deal that it was short as I can use it on a concert.

i get the savarez 540r treble set from SBM. i would gladly use strings and beyond but they don't have the set. four bucks shipping in the end will not kill you.

Top Bottom