Streets of London: Ralph McTell

ichadwick

Reaction score
Two versions, one in C, the other in D:

www.ianchadwick.com/blog%20pics/2014/cplug/streets%20of%20london.pdf

As played at the last CPLUG get-together.

You'll notice two things:

1. C version: Optional chord in the chorus. We can't agree whether the line should go from C-G-Am directly to D7 or to F first.
D version: Ditto from D-A7-Bm to E7 or should there be a G first? I tend to like the additional F and G before the 7th. But others disagree.

2. C version: It could be C-G-Am or C-G6-Am. G is brighter, but G6 is nice, too. G7 doesn't sound right.

Try both ways.

Ian,
Thanks for sharing your arrangement of this song and "You always hurt the One You Love". I have a passion for these beautiful older songs.
Dave

Well, Streets of London was first produced in 1969, which isn't old by my calendar (I remember the Sixties quite well...). The Beatles were still together, the Animals broke up, and the Velvet Underground released its Live album.

You Always Hurt the One You Love is from 1946, a bit before my time, so it's "older." Most of the songsheets I have scanned are from 1924-34, the height of the first ukulele craze. I'm still looking for the original songsheet for You Always Hurt, by the way. I was loaned a few sheets last week that I'm still scanning, including Why Don't You Do Right? a great song, too. I have more than 3,000 songsheets in the collection, now, so if you're looking for something in particular, let me know.

Cheers

Just found this while looking for new things to play, thanks. One of my fav songs.

Top Bottom