8-string Show and tell - Martin taropatches

Talking about 8-string ukuleles

BenV

Reaction score
Id love to see some pics of old Martin taropatches! Such cool instruments! :)

I can show you my Ohana "fakowitz" 8 string concert?

Last edited:
Or even higher end made in PA
I’d be happy with a C1K.

I’ve owned the Ohana and I think the neck is just too thick. I missed out on the fire sale of the Pono Taropatches a few years ago, but if I didn’t like my Ohana taropatch, I was probably going to be disappointed with the Pono (again, neck).

I’m not sure of any other taropatch options, but I would think the Mexican factory could easily CNC a neck, add it to a C1K body, and sell it for around $550. It isn’t cheap, but it also wouldn’t be $1000 or more. I’d also happily take a Mahogany version which might be able to be sold for $500.

Maybe they wouldn’t sell a ton of them, but I would buy one.

You've shown....now tell! :ROFLMAO: Starting with, are all four sets in unison? Vintage? Anything else?

(I'm being relatively gentle, but the fact is that I'm about to bust with all the questions I have! Help a brother out!)

:love:

You've shown....now tell! :ROFLMAO: Starting with, are all four sets in unison? Vintage? Anything else?

(I'm being relatively gentle, but the fact is that I'm about to bust with all the questions I have! Help a brother out!)
This is a vintage Martin with bar frets that go nearly through the fingerboard. Body appears to have very light construction but action is very good. The G string has an added low octave (the only wound string), the C string has an added high octave, the E and A strings are unison pairs. The spacing of the tuner posts is such that the "next-to outside" strings are deflected slightly around the posts of the outside strings on their path to the nut. The others do not interfere. Total weight is 444 grams.

Top Bottom