REMOVING A FRETBOARD (video)

Timbuck

Reaction score
As the weather is rubbish here in the UK and I've had an average Xmas and I'm feeling a bit bored and down in the dumps..so I thought I'd cheer myself up by making a video of my latest build ..I've had this reject neck on one side for a few months and I decided to cannibalize it and reuse the fret board on my current build...... :)

Last edited:
That was great. I have to admit for the first half after your torched the iron, I was worried about you burning yourself. But not to fear. 😉

That was great. I have to admit for the first half after your torched the iron, I was worried about you burning yourself. But not to fear. 😉

Yes, I was a bit worried about rolling the hand onto that scorching hot bit of metal also :oops:. I use an old steam iron and it works great for removing fretboards. When they come off they look a bit gnarley and darkened but hey, it's supposed to look that way. Recycle is the way to go. No waste. I also heat that blade to red hot and it pops the fretboard right off. You do not want to slip though and jab your hand. That would be bad. :cry:

Have been away for a while. Nice to see that Ken is still building and sharing his knowledge.
I use a hot air gun with a long confectionery spatula. Heat the fretboard, heat the spatula, apply to glue join, repeat, repeat ...
Works well
Miguel

Have been away for a while. Nice to see that Ken is still building and sharing his knowledge.
I use a hot air gun with a long confectionery spatula. Heat the fretboard, heat the spatula, apply to glue join, repeat, repeat ...
Works well
Miguel
Yes Miguel ...I'm still building, but at a much reduced pace especially this time of year ... heating the workshop can be very expensive these days... so that's why I decided to do a warm job with the propane torch :) .

Ken, I quite enjoy your videos and contributions to the luthier lounge on the Underground. Thank you for this. I am fascinated by the process and feel unabashedly privileged to be able to witness masters discuss the craft and share what they do. Pardon me if it is not cool to ask, but would you inclined to point me in the direction of where I might acquire one of your creations as new? Google does not seem to be helping me on this one. Thanks.

Ken, I quite enjoy your videos and contributions to the luthier lounge on the Underground. Thank you for this. I am fascinated by the process and feel unabashedly privileged to be able to witness masters discuss the craft and share what they do. Pardon me if it is not cool to ask, but would you inclined to point me in the direction of where I might acquire one of your creations as new? Google does not seem to be helping me on this one. Thanks.
Try ebay UK :)

Reactions: Kei
Ken- as always, thank you for another great instructive video. If you don’t mind my asking, what was the total labor time involved from the point of laying the steel plate in the vice jaws to gluing- down the new fingerboard?

Top Bottom