Price Drop R E Toler & Co. (Kailua - Kona Hawaii) Tenor Ukulele c.1986

Price
$900.00 (US dollars)
Shipping
Additional at cost USA only
Size
Tenor Ukulele

Magnificent koa ukulele, fantastic quarter sawn curly koa wood selection, outstanding workmanship and a wonderful instrument offered here for your collection.

My understanding is that Robert Ernest Toler was very competent in woodworking; quite evident in this spectacular specimen of ukulele making. He likely played slack key guitar with Waltah Boy Tavares.

What follows is courtesy of UU 'well-known member' Bacchettadavid, and i thank him immensely for all his efforts and interest in this ukulele. He had the ukulele for approximately two weeks for playing and research. He put out inquiries to folks he knows in the Hawaiian Islands, and has obtained comments from certain prominent individuals within the ukulele communities on Islands. Here are some of those comments:

'I saw one of those Toler ukes years ago when we took repairs but I don't think many were made. That (this) one has a killer set of curly koa. I wish I could give you more info but it's just one of those rare Hawaiian birds.'..........(A.K. well known music store on Oahu)

'There seems to be some influence from the production made by Kamaka instruments of the same time period. Beautiful koa and its quarter sawn as well so that's consistent with instruments grade wood you would want to see on a ukulele. Book match and joints look nice and clean and the finish is even too. All good signs. He's even added a few decorative features such as the roundness of the fingerboard as it connects toward the sound hole. That's usually flat on a Kamaka from that time period. And the headstock, which has some Kamaka influence as well but still unique to its own identity and style. Even the body, bridge, and tuners reflect a Kamaka style from that time period.'...............(S.W., at 'Ukulele Friend)

'Bridge seems stable. Intonation is very good. String height perhaps a little high. Plenty material at Nut, Bridge/Saddle to excavate if necessary. Very lightweight. Very loud, it's a bit of a cannon. Aside from some fit and finish issues it is a fine instrument; it's the perfect partner for a kanikapila.'...............(UU well-known member Bacchettadavid)

Shipping and packaging additional AT cost. No foreign shipping. Instrument is in Lakeland, FL.
Additional photos, complete measurements and specs provided upon request.
Recently restrung with Kamaka Tenor Strings. Hardshell case included.
I just bought Robert Toler's personal Uke. I met him about 15 years ago. He played slack key guitar on a Telecaster in Nashville

Magnificent koa ukulele, fantastic quarter sawn curly koa wood selection, outstanding workmanship and a wonderful instrument offered here for your collection.

My understanding is that Robert Ernest Toler was very competent in woodworking; quite evident in this spectacular specimen of ukulele making. He likely played slack key guitar with Waltah Boy Tavares.

What follows is courtesy of UU 'well-known member' Bacchettadavid, and i thank him immensely for all his efforts and interest in this ukulele. He had the ukulele for approximately two weeks for playing and research. He put out inquiries to folks he knows in the Hawaiian Islands, and has obtained comments from certain prominent individuals within the ukulele communities on Islands. Here are some of those comments:

'I saw one of those Toler ukes years ago when we took repairs but I don't think many were made. That (this) one has a killer set of curly koa. I wish I could give you more info but it's just one of those rare Hawaiian birds.'..........(A.K. well known music store on Oahu)

'There seems to be some influence from the production made by Kamaka instruments of the same time period. Beautiful koa and its quarter sawn as well so that's consistent with instruments grade wood you would want to see on a ukulele. Book match and joints look nice and clean and the finish is even too. All good signs. He's even added a few decorative features such as the roundness of the fingerboard as it connects toward the sound hole. That's usually flat on a Kamaka from that time period. And the headstock, which has some Kamaka influence as well but still unique to its own identity and style. Even the body, bridge, and tuners reflect a Kamaka style from that time period.'...............(S.W., at 'Ukulele Friend)

'Bridge seems stable. Intonation is very good. String height perhaps a little high. Plenty material at Nut, Bridge/Saddle to excavate if necessary. Very lightweight. Very loud, it's a bit of a cannon. Aside from some fit and finish issues it is a fine instrument; it's the perfect partner for a kanikapila.'...............(UU well-known member Bacchettadavid)

Shipping and packaging additional AT cost. No foreign shipping. Instrument is in Lakeland, FL.
Additional photos, complete measurements and specs provided upon request.
Recently restrung with Kamaka Tenor Strings. Hardshell case included.
Here's a picture of Robert's personal uke. Its a 6 string, four course, Tenor. He only made a couple of dozen. He used koa that he aged for years and it sounds amazing. I bought it today from his widow, my friend, Judy. I feel so honored.

Attachments

• 20230905_183718.jpg
    20230905_183718.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230905_183727.jpg
    20230905_183727.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 31
I posted a for sale ad earlier in August.....for this Tenor Uke. Today I lowered the price again.....please take another look at it down on the Marketplace board posted August 1, 2023...
Thank you

Vibrato
There was a duplicate listing on this instrument started today due to misunderstanding by the OP. I've deleted that post, and inserted the OP's "bump" here.

For those of you on Marketplace, please be kind. If someone honestly doesn't understand how to do something, please help them to learn by providing clear instructions, or report to the Moderator Team so that one of us can come and help out.

It surely is some beautiful Koa. Wish you were close enough to try it out. Good luck with your listing!

Top Bottom