Potluck favourites

casualmusic

Reaction score
Are you a fan of potluck events at home, at celebrations, at work?

Do you like themed, organized, or surprise combinations?

What do you like to bring?

What do you like to see from others?

Consider halal, kosher, vegetarians, spiciness, etc or just rely on variety?

What surprises, delights, challenges have appeared?

Recipes, containers, tips, peeves?

Cheers.

My contribution has been a platter of roast chicken or duck in bite size pieces.

Lazy me visits a rotisserie or Chinese charcuterie for cooked birds. Many shops will cleaver into serving sized pieces.

The best pieces are trimmed, deboned and arranged. Sometimes dressed up with red grapes.

Presentation is in a casserole dish that has a lid for easy transport (leakage is reduced with a layer of parchment paper or plastic wrap).

Served with tongs and a small dish of relish or salsa.

PS. I’d like to try other things.

My uke group of about 35 people has a pot luck party every Memorial Day, Labor Day, and first time this year, Holiday, It's always a big feast. Since I'm lactose intolerant, and the leader of the group doesn't eat gluten, I always make foods both of us can eat.

I make vegan and gluten free mac n cheese, which everyone loves, plus gluten free turkey meat balls and chicken cocktail sausages, with a spicy BBQ sauce on the side. With the new holiday party, I wanted to acknowledge my Jewish heritage with latkes, but to have them gluten free, I bought hash brown potato cakes from Trader Joes, sprinkled onion powder and baked them crisp to create a pseudo latke. I serve all from a large three compartment heating unit.

This year I decided to also make my no bake vegan pumpkin cream cheese pie, which I created for family events because my nephew and his family are vegan (twin brother's younger son). I make it the day before so it sets up in the refrigerator, then transport and serve in a carry bag with ice packs in the lid and bottom. Even though my family always served latkes as savory, I brought applesauce and vegan sour cream.

Everyone ate a bunch of my stuff, but I made so much (my Jewish heritage), I have leftovers for days.

Last edited:
When I was at university, I used to host regular potlucks with my friends. They were all from various international backgrounds (just because that's where we lived!) so we ended up with wonderful variety of foods. My favourite was beng (Chinese scallion pancakes) that my friend's Manchurian mom made for us. Oh my goodness.

When I'm bringing something to a potluck, I try to consider various food intolerances, since our family has a few that have to avoid different things. I'll usually bring cookies, because we have some good vegan/gluten free options. But if I have to bring something savoury, I almost always bring a dal, usually a non-dairy dal makhani (I sub cashew cream for the dairy components, and coconut oil for ghee if I have to make it vegan, but I use ghee if it's just to be non-dairy because there are no dairy proteins or sugars left in ghee, just the butter fats).

Great topic! I look forward to hearing more!

I like pot luck for holiday meals, but usually it is assigned pot luck...you make the potatoes we'll make the roast...etc. I usually make bread. Dinner rolls, buns whatever the meal calls for. I also make some kind of pie. Apple, peach, cherry, pumpkin...or maybe a cheesecake. Sometimes I make vegetarian chili, and bring corn bread too. For barbeques which is often pot luck, I bring veggie dogs and veggie burgers and appropriate fresh buns.

You didn't ask what we don't like to see but I will answer anyway. I hate to see store bought side dishes such as: Jello dessert, pies, potato salad, cole slaw, green bean salad, pizza, frozen pizza, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes with marshmellows...etc. Come on, put in some effort!

Lol my eye roller for potlucks is a bag of chips. I mean.... C'mon.

I like to bring salads, if I'm asked to provide something for a family "everyone bring something" type meal. I have a nice lemony kale salad and an Asian-flavour inspired slaw, neither of which have mayo because no eggs for a couple of family members. My daughter likes to bring dessert. She often makes some kind of "coffee cake" (simple, undecorated , usually spiced) type dessert.

I typically bring vegetarian fare, as it is is all I have eaten for the last 50-plus years. I love to cook seasonally and tend towards spicey which I will temper with depending on the crowd. I also like to bring dishes that can be served a room temperature and don't require messing with once presented. Some of my favorites:

Roasted cauliflower with jalapeno and capers
Roasted sweet potatoes and figs with a balsamic glaze and feta cheese
Homemade stuffed grape leaves with hummus
Eggplant stewed in honey with Moroccan spices
Gouchjang glazed roasted chickpeas
Cracked green olives with walnut and pomegranate molasses relish
Harissa roasted carrot dip with seasonal vegetables or crackers

Just came up with a vegan gluten free mock caviare lower sodium appetizer. Took a jar of olive tapenade and added ground no salt cured black olives, put it on rice crackers with a dollop of vegan sour cream. It actually tasted really good. Going to bring it to the next pot luck.

Just came up with a vegan gluten free mock caviare lower sodium appetizer. Took a jar of olive tapenade and added ground no salt cured black olives, put it on rice crackers with a dollop of vegan sour cream. It actually tasted really good. Going to bring it to the next pot luck.
Yum!

I usually stir up a pot of chili. Turkey meat instead of beef.

I tend to lean toward desserts. Lemon Bars are always popular. So are mini-cheesecakes (a lot like regular cheesecake but baked in lined muffin tins so they're individual servings).

Top Bottom