Playing in the middle of the fret or to the nearest higher fretwire

I find I really have to pay attention and get close to that higher fret wire on barre chords. Guess it's matter of not being able to exert enough or uniform pressure in the middle.

Thanks everyone. Very interesting comments. I guess playing a soprano could be more forgiving due to the small fretboard real estate.

Could be, especially for you fellas with bigger fingers. I get more buzzing in the middle of the fret than close to it, but my fingers and hands are pretty small. It's definitely more noticeable at frets 1-7.

Regardless of where you stand and what you find to be effective, I would recommend letting the student continue to fret as close to the fretwire. At minimum, that is definitely the placement that requires the least amount of pressure to fret a note cleanly. It is definitely standard pedagogy for guitar, and you don't want to create a situation where it becomes you vs. his former teacher, as a teacher myself, that can be a source for students going in a different direction.

Great advice. Thanks!

Petey

I play right next to the higher fret. If I buzz I know I'm too far away. If I thud, I know I'm too close.

I had another new student today and she was playing in the middle of frets on her concert uke and had no problems at all with buzzing on chords. She had never played guitar before.

Petey

Top Bottom