Peghed Tuner Problem (again)

Just to be thorough it is not just push in to tighten. It is push in while turning to tighten. You should feel the resistance getting stronger as the Peghed is turning.

Reactions: TBB
So.. I found a new luthier in town who said he’d have a look at the Pohaku and I took it over to him this morning.
He’s building beautiful guitars, only been in Bath for about a year. He’s also just finishing his first ukulele, an absolutely gorgeous looking custom tenor, he said he’ll let me know when it’s finished so I can go and try it out.

Don’t know whether I find the idea of having a custom ukulele builder just down the road exciting or terrifying - this dodgy tuner could end up being very expensive! 😏

Has your environment dried out at all. If the wood in the headstock is shrinking the fit or tightness on the tuner body could loosen. If that was the case then applying some water based glue could help. It can't hurt, just wipe off any excess with a damp cloth. Good luck
That’s a good point. I certainly can’t rule it out, but I think it’s unlikely, even in the winter the humidity in the house rarely drops below 40%

Good idea to have a luthier look at it, best course of action really.

I can fully appreciate your joy/fear of having a custom builder so close by. Luis of LfdM ukuleles and guitars lives 10 minutes up the road from me. Three ukuleles and 1 guitar (which I built with him) later my bank account has felt it. Wouldnt change a thing though, good luck with that problem.

I can fully appreciate your joy/fear of having a custom builder so close by. Luis of LfdM ukuleles and guitars lives 10 minutes up the road from me. Three ukuleles and 1 guitar (which I built with him) later my bank account has felt it. Wouldnt change a thing though, good luck with that problem.
Wow what an opportunity!! 😍

Luis of LfdM ukuleles and guitars lives 10 minutes up the road from me. Three ukuleles and 1 guitar (which I built with him) later my bank account has felt it
Haha, it’s knowing your experience of living down the road from Luis that’s making me so nervous! 🤣

I love the look of them, but I’ve found them a lot fiddlier
Pun alert!

In all seriousness, I hope things turn out easy and inexpensive to get right and you can get back to playing this one... and hopefully not get too many more from your new luthier. 🫣

Pun alert!

In all seriousness, I hope things turn out easy and inexpensive to get right and you can get back to playing this one... and hopefully not get too many more from your new luthier. 🫣
I wish I could claim that that pun was intentional! 🤣

Thanks, Chris, I’m pleased to say that the Pohaku is fully functional again. I was quite surprised at the level of panic I felt when I thought I might have to go without it for more than a day!

TBB says, "I’m pleased to say that the Pohaku is fully functional again"

That's great news! What was the problem? What did the luthier have to do? We're all agog.

TBB says, "I’m pleased to say that the Pohaku is fully functional again"

That's great news! What was the problem? What did the luthier have to do? We're all agog.
I do apologise, I didn’t mean to leave you hanging!

So, the final thrilling instalment… both of the treble side tuners were loose, obviously the A string tuner was by far the worst but the E string had been starting to cause a bit of trouble too.

Peter had replied to my email with very detailed instructions about the installation and Gary The Luthier watched Peter’s video before doing the work. He put a bit of glue on them, as the manufacturer suggests, although Peter said he doesn’t use glue because it can make it very difficult to remove them without damaging the headstock (which I guess is why your luthier had to drill them out @Nickie ). Anyhoo, here’s hoping mine never have to be removed now because they feel like they’re there to stay!

And my little Pohaku is as sweet and tuneful as ever. The End. (I hope).

Top Bottom