Need cases for my Kamakas

UkuleleAddiction

Reaction score
I have an HF-1 and HF-3 from the mid-2000s that came with those really cheap chipboard cases, and I'm wanting to upgrade. I've kind of been out of the uke loop for several years and am wondering what would be a good case for these. I've been looking at the current Kamaka cases ($125 and $145) which look decent, but I'm wondering if anything else would be just as good for less money. Or maybe something else is better for the same money? Thanks...

I just got a black Kala archtop case for my concert Gold Tone Resonator, and am extremely pleased. Heavy duty design, firm foam, with quality construction. Best case I ever had, and it's $90 right now. Soprano is $85, Tenor is $90. You do have to watch the measurements. Concert fit my 8 inch lower bout perfect, two of my other ukes are too wide. The soprano and tenor cases may also be on the small side. I would have your measuements in hand and call them.

There is a vintage look tweed version, but only in Concert and Tenor, $99 -

I just got a black Kala archtop case for my concert Gold Tone Resonator, and am extremely pleased. Heavy duty design, firm foam, with quality construction. Best case I ever had, and it's $90 right now. Soprano is $85, Tenor is $90. You do have to watch the measurements. Concert fit my 8 inch lower bout perfect, two of my other ukes are too wide. The soprano and tenor cases may also be on the small side. I would have your measuements in hand and call them.

I just got the same Kala Archtop (in black) for my Kanile'a.

Thanks - those do look nice.

Gator Journeyman cases are great quality and stylish, and will very likely be a good fit for your Kamakas. Around the $100 mark, a bit less if you're lucky.

(I actually quite like those old chipboard cases, superlight and slim)

Check with your favorite Kamaka dealer to see if they can order one for you, if you’d prefer to have a Kamaka case. Terry Carter ordered one for my white label soprano and sold it to me at cost.

Gator Journeyman cases are great quality and stylish, and will very likely be a good fit for your Kamakas. Around the $100 mark, a bit less if you're lucky.

(I actually quite like those old chipboard cases, superlight and slim)
Thanks -- I've been looking at the standard Gator and the Journeyman cases. Yeah, the chipboard cases have their pluses. I never take my ukes out of the house, but I saw what Kamakas are priced at these days and decided they deserve some more protection.

Also, I just reread your original post as I replied before I really read it. I ordered a Kamaka case for mine and it fits like a glove, I love it. I also just bought a Kala HC-CHAR-S ABS molded case for my Kanile’a soprano, but it does not fit like a glove like the Kamaka case does, so in my honest opinion, if you’re already spending $100 on a case, I think it’s worth the extra $20-40 to get the case that’s made perfectly for it.

Top Bottom