My latest Uke interests

engravertom

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
As I have gotten back into the Uke again, I am finding myself getting more into the different types of music and variations of the instrument.

I have soprano set up as a machete, a tenor neck soprano set up in plectrum tuning, and a travel tenor tuned dgBe, with the d and g high, like the high strings of a 6 string Uke set, or a kind of “Nashville” ukulele tuning.

I tried the high dGBe strings, but found the low G muddy sounding. Having discovered the Canarian Timple recently, and remembering that Baroque guitars sometimes had a high g paired with the low G, I decided to give the high g on the third position a try. I like it for strumming, and it gives some extra Campanella possibilities!

Speaking of the Timple, having discovered that instrument recently also gave me a source of strings for the machete tuning on my soprano, which is dgbd, an octave above a Baritone Uke.

The strumming and rasgueados on the Timple are very cool, and look to me more similar to Baroque guitar techniques rather than Flamenco. Although there are similarities.

Timples are a bit on the expensive side, when shipping to the US is considered.

Then, I thought of a way to modify a Guitalele to create one myself. But, I sold my Guitalele!

Goodwill finds to the rescue!

Hopefully it will arrive sometime soon, and the modification should not take too long.

So, new facets of the ukulele have me excited for music this coming year!

Thanks for reading all this!

🙂

Looking forward to video or sound clips

As I have gotten back into the Uke again, I am finding myself getting more into the different types of music and variations of the instrument.

I have soprano set up as a machete, a tenor neck soprano set up in plectrum tuning, and a travel tenor tuned dgBe, with the d and g high, like the high strings of a 6 string Uke set, or a kind of “Nashville” ukulele tuning.

I tried the high dGBe strings, but found the low G muddy sounding. Having discovered the Canarian Timple recently, and remembering that Baroque guitars sometimes had a high g paired with the low G, I decided to give the high g on the third position a try. I like it for strumming, and it gives some extra Campanella possibilities!

Speaking of the Timple, having discovered that instrument recently also gave me a source of strings for the machete tuning on my soprano, which is dgbd, an octave above a Baritone Uke.

The strumming and rasgueados on the Timple are very cool, and look to me more similar to Baroque guitar techniques rather than Flamenco. Although there are similarities.

Timples are a bit on the expensive side, when shipping to the US is considered.

Then, I thought of a way to modify a Guitalele to create one myself. But, I sold my Guitalele!

Goodwill finds to the rescue!

Hopefully it will arrive sometime soon, and the modification should not take too long.

So, new facets of the ukulele have me excited for music this coming year!

Thanks for reading all this!

🙂

That is a very adventurous plan. Enjoy it, and do post some samples from time to time.

That is a very adventurous plan. Enjoy it, and do post some samples from time to time.
Thanks! I’m building on past experiences to a degree. I did try plectrum tuning in the past. It is a form of banjo tuning. I also played the banjo for a while earlier this year. And the machete is essentially a banjo tuning, too. I have to pace myself and not get too elaborate with the arrangements. Too many interesting things to try! Maybe I’ll sort it out and focus again, but I’m having fun.🙂

Do you have a ukulele set up as a ukulele? .. 😜

... Then, I thought of a way to modify a Guitalele to create one myself. But, I sold my Guitalele! ...
Your "old" GL-1 is about to become an evenly spaced 5-string. Think banjo with a short wide neck, and the 5th string fretable all the way up. I have a plan to countersink and cut 5 slots into the bridge which will become string-throughs. I'll also need to create a new nut and saddle, the nut being the greater challenge. January is coming soon.

Last edited:
Cool! I thought of a way to plug the center 4 holes in the bridge and then drill three new ones. I drilled a hole on a lute bridge once without removing it. I’m curious to see how your method works out! Please share some pics when you’re finished!

Top Bottom