Moore Bettah

mlolya

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Does anyone have a Chuck Moore ukulele?
I’m overwhelmed when I look at his galleries.
I’m all about simplicity and clean no-bling lines, but I can’t get over the amazing work that he puts into his instruments.
His instruments are as much about art as they are about music. Now I can understand if someone thinks that an instrument should be about the sound and the creation of music rather than a lot of fancy doo dads, heck, I think that way.
But even so.
I WANT THIS ONE!!!
(not that I would ever be able to afford it)

IMG_7209.jpeg

IMG_7206.jpeg

IMG_7208.jpeg

On UU there are many owners of exquisite Moore Bettah ukuleles. (I'm not among them.) His instruments are clearly works of art. Centuries from now, most will probably be in museums.

I think there are some owners on this site, yes. Let’s hope they share pictures of their MBs!

But his instruments aren't all about the artwork. They're musically astonishing as well. Here's a tenor he made for an auction benefiting the Maui Food Bank. Listen to the sound samples by Brittni, Corey, and Kalei:

OOO NEON BLUE

Chuck describes himself as an "artist" and the appellation fits. In the past (and no longer, unfortunately), if he contracted with you to build an ukulele, he would discuss the design elements and come up with one that likely was better than the buyer imagined.

The book, "Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele" by Staci Blevins makes for great reading (and viewing of photos). She wrote a second book (which I have not seen), "A Visual Journey to Paradise", that focuses on the "inlay work of Moore Bettah Ukuleles".

Chuck puts his heart and soul into many of his inlays. But he also makes some without the fancy inlays and some with inlays only on the headstock. And they are somewhat priced accordingly.

So I was fortunate to buy one from him a year and a year and a half ago. And it does not disappoint for both playability and sound. It simply is outstanding in these aspects (and looks good, too...). It is worthy if you really are serious about pursuing the best.

Chuck now makes batches of four and sells them on his Facebook page. Interested? Email him and ask to be added to the list to be notified when he will sell the next batch (usually two or three, other maybe to TUS auction). Then you have seconds to be first to respond on the FB page to be first. You got to be fast and you got to be lucky (and I was both). And the price is between $5k and $6k and not $9k to $20k (so it will hold value and some buyers sadly turn it around for a profit immediately).

It is worth it. And the value is there as other companies raise their prices above this.

That's not true turquoise, its dyed howlite. That is scrimshaw but certainly not ivory.
"this one of a kind tenor ukulele is made from 5A fiddleback Master Grade koa . The artistic female figure in the head stock inlay was cut from ancient mastodon ivory tusk and is scrimshawed (engraved). The rosette and fret markers are turquoise recon stone. Ebony binding, fret board, bridge and head stock overlay. Spanish cedar neck with carbon fiber reinforcement. Geared "Peghed" tuners compliment the vintage, classic look. 14th fret body/neck connection with 18 frets total. Bound fret oard with black micarta nut and bone saddle. Worth CHLG strings for a full, warm sound with lots of volume and sustain. Glossy nitro cellulose lacquer finish. Comes with hard shell case. A stunning ukulele in every way."

Last edited:
Like Rainbow21, I was fortunate to get one of Chuck Moore's wonderful ukes. I got mine on the used market, which also as stated doesn't mean you scored a "deal". They come up for sale so rarely that the values always stay pretty high. The seller I got mine from was primarily a guitar player so it didn't get played much (was "as new" when I got it), and he was a great guy to work with as spending that kind of money online with someone you don't previously know is SCAREY! We Facetimed and I got to see the uke in action and meet the seller, it was a really nice experience and I made a new friend.

Unlike many of Chucks ukes, mine doesn't have artist inlay on the headstock, the model is called “Pearl 'n Curl“ and even without his traditional artwork (probably the reason I was able to buy it), it is trimmed out beautifully! Most people, myself included, never had the chance to play a Moore Bettah uke before buying one and trust the reviews of other players. But when you make that purchase, you are REALLY hoping there's truth to all the hype about a Chuck Moore ukulele.

I can say from experience that when Chuck builds a uke, the build is impeccable, and the trim is amazing down to the finest trim lines. He builds out of the best materials so the look is always top end. But all that aside, there's a feel to my uke that just holding it, you can tell it's truly a special instrument. And playing it is a wonderful experience. The setup is past great, smooth as silk, and it's voice is also a big step up from other high end ukes I've played. I will admit there are several great builders out there I have never played, and when the build levels are at the top of the class, I'm guessing any one of them would have a similar reviews.

For me, my Chuck Moore is what one would refer to as "the total package". And yes when I bought it, it was to play, not to collect. In fact it hangs in one of a couple climate controlled display cases, 15' away from the couch with 2 of my other favorite players, and is probably one of my most played ukes (though I would never consider playing it at gigs with my all ukulele band).

One last thing, Chuck is also a great guy! I've had several email conversations with him both about my uke and about learning how to play my Lap Steel ukulele, and he's just a down to earth guy who is happy to help others with his skills. I think that kind of person is more common in the ukulele world, we all help each other with our experiences. But Chuck exemplifies this personality!

IMG_5364.jpgIMG_5365.jpgIMG_5370.jpgIMG_5377.jpg

"this one of a kind tenor ukulele is made from 5A fiddleback Master Grade koa . The artistic female figure in the head stock inlay was cut from ancient mastodon ivory tusk and is scrimshawed (engraved). The rosette and fret markers are turquoise recon stone. Ebony binding, fret board, bridge and head stock overlay. Spanish cedar neck with carbon fiber reinforcement. Geared "Peghed" tuners compliment the vintage, classic look. 14th fret body/neck connection with 18 frets total. Bound fret oard with black micarta nut and bone saddle. Worth CHLG strings for a full, warm sound with lots of volume and sustain. Glossy nitro cellulose lacquer finish. Comes with hard shell case. A stunning ukulele in every way."
I stand corrected on the ivory. But it says the rosette and inlays are "Recon Stone" which is crushed stone material that is solidified with resins and colored to look like other stones, usually marble and such. Thats really cool that he uses mammoth ivory for the scrimshaw artwork. I have a mammoth ivory saddle on my moon bird. its a cool material.

Last edited:
Top Bottom