Mold spots in soundhole humidifiers?

MarTay6

Reaction score
I am getting some small black dots of mold in the sponges of my soundhole humidifiers... any thoughts as to how to get rid of them before they get worse?

I would start by wetting, then microwaving them to kill any active growth. Perhaps with a half cup of water on the side so the microwave does not go crazy. Just venturing my thoughts without actually experience.

just replace it... I know music nomad sells replacement sponges. the daddario I had looked like it had a regular household sponge inside. guitar sized ones can be cut smaller, and sweetwater sells them with free shipping so they are only $5-6. you can try bleach or vinegar water mixes, but spores remain. mold can be very bad news

Last edited:
Lots or ways to kill the mold but I haven't found a way to get rid of the black stain. The sponges are too small to wash in a dish or clothes washer.

Same problem here, tried manufacturer recommendations as well as the UV thing that came with CPAP. Mold spots remain, probably going to just buy new sponges or use only humidity packs.

This is why I use Boveda packs instead. I live in FL, where humidity is high and mold spores float around just looking for something damp to colonize. Once mold gets into wood, it’s all over.

What size humidity packs are recommended for uke's? Tenor/Concert/Soprano?
I try to put them next to the neck, as I don't want to put them on top of the strings- and the neck end in the case is supposedly too far away from the soundhole to be most effective...
Have been currently running about 10% humidity in the room where my uke's are- just got a humidifier, which has brought that up to about 28% when running...
I DEFINITELY don't want mold in my instruments! :-0

I had the same problem with the sponge type sound hole humidifiers and I never found a way to deal with the issue. I ended up abandoning them and got Oasis sound hole humidifiers instead.

I had the same problem with the sponge type sound hole humidifiers and I never found a way to deal with the issue. I ended up abandoning them and got Oasis sound hole humidifiers instead.
And you've not had any mold issue with those?
Just don't want to spend a chunk of change to replace all the sponge types I have if I'm going to run into the same problem again! :)

And you've not had any mold issue with those?
Just don't want to spend a chunk of change to replace all the sponge types I have if I'm going to run into the same problem again! :)
I've never had any mold issues in any of my ukes with any type of humidifier. I've never had any mold issues with the Oasis humidifiers. My current method of humidifying my cases is a 70 gram Boveda pack in the headstock space and an Oasis humidifier in the sound hole. For me, the Oasis humidifiers have been the easiest and most convenient to use after trying several other methods. Maybe you could start out by buying just one to try it out and see how you like it. They are good humidifiers.

This won't help out if you are looking for a sound hole option but I made some case humidifiers using empty prescription bottles with holes drilled in them and using a regular household sponge and I never had mold issues with those either. They require more frequent wetting and may be difficult to put anywhere but in the head space of the case. For me they were a "better than nothing" option.

What size humidity packs are recommended for uke's? Tenor/Concert/Soprano?
There was a recent thread on UU about humidification and Boveda packs. Boveda recommends that for a ukulele (size wasn’t mentioned) you should use 1 of the 49% packs in the 70-gram size, inserted into the fabric Boveda sleeve, placed near the neck or headstock. (I put mine under the headstock. The pack should be in a spot where it’s not being squeezed.) When the pack is in the case, the case should not be left open. The pack is good as long as it is soft and squishy. Change it when it gets hard.

I am getting some small black dots of mold in the sponges of my soundhole humidifiers... any thoughts as to how to get rid of them before they get worse?
I'd replace them asap. Mold spores can spread and wreak havoc. Possibly they wre contaminated when you purchased them (pin hole or something).

Top Bottom