Looking to buy an amp with distortion feature

karass

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm pretty new to ukuleles; been playing for a couple months now.

So I just bought an acoustic electric a couple days ago and I'm looking for an amp with built-in distortion feature. I want it to sound like an electric guitar. I want to avoid pedals and adds-on if possible, I try to keep it very simple.

Lets say I have 150$ for a small one (not gonna do any show, just me in a small room), which one would you recommend ?

Thanks!

An acoustic-electric uses piezo pickups while an electric guitar uses magnetic ones. Because the technology is different, it's hard to really get a similar sound.

Any modern guitar amp will have some distortion and effects options. But just keep in mind that electric guitar amps aren't the best option for getting a natural uke sound.

A Roland Micro Cube sounds like it will do the trick for you, but temper your expectations.

Expectations: Are you just wanting to add some growl, or full-blown "bees in a can?" Does the uke's onboard preamp have Bass-Mid-Treble controls? Do you know anyone who can loan you an amp?

Like Brad said, any guitar amp with overdrive will work. I have not had problems with active piezo systems [those which have a battery] as the onboard preamp makes it compatible. However, on an A/E ukulele you will need to roll back the mid and adust down the high for however much sparkle you want.

To start, set all the guitar amplifier's EQs to their midpoint. Leave overdrive off.

Piezos have significant (screeching) highs. On the ukulele preamps, I typically turn the mid completely down, and set the treble never more than midpoint and most always less. Bass is usually at midpoint or just a bit higher. Then go to the guitar amp and adjust the same 3 EQ knobs.

When you have the amp making the uke sound like a uke, then dive into distortion if that's your thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for helping guys.

Actually, I'd like to get something that can sound like that

I was looking at the Orange Crush 12 or Blackstar Fly3 but no idea if they can produce that kind of sound.

I'm using the Billie Eillish fender ukulele.

Vox mini 5 has various setting one might find suitable for some distortion rock and roll. I've played my Godin Multiuke through my son's Vox mini 5, I prefer playing it through my Fishman with an overdrive pedal.

Top Bottom